Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Overnight Test Drive Option?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'm sorry, but I'm just amazed at the people that seem to think "overnight test drives" are common or something that can be extended even further... Perhaps they can, but to me it's extraordinary that Tesla is offering this to some people these days. It's GREAT for them, and I really hope the people it's being extended to appreciate the experience and what Tesla is offering them.

I thought having the luck of the draw after having waited 5 days from sending in my online "request for a Tesla MS test drive" this past September, and having taken more than 2-months to research MS, to end-up with a 40-minute (not 15-20) drive with a Tesla employee in the car with me was awesome -- and that was only because I arrived at the store 2 hours early for my appt and the scheduled test drive before me cancelled-out, so she had extra time on the full schedule for me. In my perhaps 25 years of Lexus, Acura, BMW and MBZ purchases, I've never had anything but a short and sweet test drive with a salesman sitting in the passenger seat on generally a predetermined route. I may not be pushy enough, or it just may be Tesla is really pulling out the stops to find new buyers these days -- we'll see with their upcoming 2015 results and 2016 projections to their shareholders. In any case, I hope folks taking advantage of overnight MS test drives, really do, and help support the brand with a purchase -- and not only a fun joy ride as a result.

I have a confirmed order for a 85D should be delivered in June (pushed it out to when my current lease is up) but now am having regrets paying the 10K for more range and performance and other obvious benefits. I called up my DS and see if I can take a 70D on a overnight test drive and see how it does in the real world. Luckily he was nice enough to get this set up for me! So in other words I really think Tesla should continue doing this and will boost their sales when dealing with people on the fence on switching from ICE.

I'm sorry, but I'm just amazed at the people that seem to think "overnight test drives" are common or something that can be extended even further... Perhaps they can, but to me it's extraordinary that Tesla is offering this to some people these days. It's GREAT for them, and I really hope the people it's being extended to appreciate the experience and what Tesla is offering them.

When they offered to me (on a Tuesday), the rep actually suggested waiting until Friday. Overnight Friday, meant the entire weekend.

I have a confirmed order for a 85D should be delivered in June (pushed it out to when my current lease is up) but now am having regrets paying the 10K for more range and performance and other obvious benefits. I called up my DS and see if I can take a 70D on a overnight test drive and see how it does in the real world. Luckily he was nice enough to get this set up for me! So in other words I really think Tesla should continue doing this and will boost their sales when dealing with people on the fence on switching from ICE.

I just confirmed mine next Wednesday. Since you already bought the car and are waiting it really couldn't hurt to ask right? I'd say go for it. I mean by the end of the day since they randomly offered me this and are delivering it shows the amazing customer service and the determination of how tesla want to help customers by going about and beyond....

Yes, you can pick up the car one day, and bring it back the next. So you get to "live with it" and experience charging it at home overnight.

It's a great idea. It's not available everywhere or to everyone though - of course they look for qualified buyers, but they also have to have a car sitting around unused. So many stores can't offer this. (I mention that because sometimes people in other places feel slighted when they aren't given the same offer - they assume Tesla feels they aren't qualified buyers, but that is not necessarily the case).

Don't do it unless you are fully prepared to buy a Tesla. You won't want to return the car, so you'll need one of your own.

Did the overnight (actually over-weekend) test drive - expecting my 70D end of March. I guess it works out for Tesla... :cool: Didn't get that mail, but a Sales Advisor reached out to me, offering the overnight test drive.

I thought having the luck of the draw after having waited 5 days from sending in my online "request for a Tesla MS test drive" this past September, and having taken more than 2-months to research MS, to end-up with a 40-minute (not 15-20) drive with a Tesla employee in the car with me was awesome -- and that was only because I arrived at the store 2 hours early for my appt and the scheduled test drive before me cancelled-out, so she had extra time on the full schedule for me. In my perhaps 25 years of Lexus, Acura, BMW and MBZ purchases, I've never had anything but a short and sweet test drive with a salesman sitting in the passenger seat on generally a predetermined route. I may not be pushy enough, or it just may be Tesla is really pulling out the stops to find new buyers these days -- we'll see with their upcoming 2015 results and 2016 projections to their shareholders. In any case, I hope folks taking advantage of overnight MS test drives, really do, and help support the brand with a purchase -- and not only a fun joy ride as a result.
Before we bought our Fusion back in 2012 we did an overnight test drive of the new Fusion Hybrid. We actually got to drive the first one delivered by Ford to a MN dealer. We would have bought it, too, except the dealer decided that they didn't want to sell it to us with X-Plan pricing, but instead to mark it up & sell it for about $5k above MSRP. We also did an overnight test drive at the same time of the Camry Hybrid that we were comparing it against. For us, an overnight test drive is a requirement or that car/dealer gets removed from the list of possible consideration. Before we bought the Fusion in 2012 my wife & I both took vacation days from work so that we could really make a good decision by thoroughly evaluating the cars. While the car was at home, we tested loading luggage in the trunk to see how it would fit, we tested driving different routes we commonly drive to see how the car would handle them, we both took turns behind the wheel so that we could each get comfortable with the car & we went through a multi-page checklist of questions/features/concerns/etc that we were evaluating. Perhaps I'm strange to go into that level of detail, but when spending $30k+ for a car (like we did in 2012) we wanted to go through the car with a fine-toothed comb to make sure we were making a good decision. Aside from the terrible reliability of our Fusion that resulted in a lemon and then the current one having another multitude of issues, we've been very happy with the car. If we're looking at a Tesla that's a 2x to 3x the cost, we're going to need even longer to evaluate the car & make a good decision. Come April/May I am hoping to line up overnight/weekend test drives of all the potential cars we'll consider (Leaf, 2017 Volt, i3 & Model S). That way we can evaluate each vehicle compared to our current vehicles & compared to each other. Without an overnight/weekend test drive we could never do a thorough analysis.

We didn't do this when getting our Focus Electric, since there were none in MN for us to look at, and I've regretted it the entire time. The Focus has been a great car, it hasn't had any of the reliability issues that have plagued the Fusion and it is in many ways better than the Leaf. But, if we had been able to drive one overnight & drive a Leaf overnight, we may not have ended up with the Focus. While I'm not unhappy with our decision to lease a Focus Electric, the experience taught me to never buy another car without doing an overnight test drive.

One car that we didn't spend enough time driving & I do regret having purchased was our 2006 Honda Accord Hybrid. The interior of that car was ridiculously uncomfortable. If we had spent more than the short test drive that you're allowed by most dealers with that car, we would definitely not have purchased it. It worked out okay in the end, we had it for about 9 months & put about 12,000 miles on it & sold it for only $500 less than we paid (about $1200 less when you count sales tax & registration fees), but it was a very uncomfortable 9 months.