Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Overpaying for CHAdeMO adapter on eBay

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So I've been looking on eBay at Tesla CHAdeMO adapters and I am confused. They are listing and selling well above what Tesla is selling them for. Am I missing something? Why are people paying so much?

Don't get me wrong, I understand whey the sellers are doing what they are doing, I don't understand why people are actually paying... I'm looking at one listing for example that sold for $530 + $24.99 shipping. Isn't this the same part I an get from tesla.com for $400 with free shipping?

• Funny
Reactions: Rocky_H and cwerdna
Also, the price was recently reduced from $450 to $400 in US dollars. It was always more expensive in Canadian dollars.
People are speculating that they are reducing inventory ahead of a North American CCS-1 adapter. Although, I don't know why such a thing is necessary. The CHAdeMO adapters are still necessary for every car delivered in Japan.

So I've been looking on eBay at Tesla CHAdeMO adapters and I am confused. They are listing and selling well above what Tesla is selling them for. Am I missing something? Why are people paying so much?

Don't get me wrong, I understand whey the sellers are doing what they are doing, I don't understand why people are actually paying... I'm looking at one listing for example that sold for $530 + $24.99 shipping. Isn't this the same part I an get from tesla.com for $400 with free shipping?
Do they frequently go out-of-stock on Tesla's store? I know lots of other charging related items do. If people have tried to buy them from Tesla relatively recently and couldn't, it wouldn't be surprising to see buyers turn to eBay and other sources. But anyone who cares about not overpaying should be double checking availability before pulling the trigger on a higher priced item from a 3rd party seller.

Do they frequently go out-of-stock on Tesla's store?
Not to my knowledge... And it seems like if they were constantly selling out, they wouldn't have reduced the price. Oh well, just trying to see if there was something I was missing.

But if you want to see something really crazy, check out this listing. Currently $203.50 for the BOX that the adapter came in. Clearly whoever is bidding on this didn't read carefully, and thinks they are getting an adapter. Unless maybe it's a much cooler box than I thought it was.

Also, the price was recently reduced from $450 to $400 in US dollars. It was always more expensive in Canadian dollars.
People are speculating that they are reducing inventory ahead of a North American CCS-1 adapter. Although, I don't know why such a thing is necessary. The CHAdeMO adapters are still necessary for every car delivered in Japan.
FWIW, when I spoke to Tesla reps at Tokyo Motor Show 2019 (late October), as I posted at Tokyo Motor Show 2019 - Page 2 - My Nissan Leaf Forum, apparently the CHAdeMO adapter came w/the S and X there but was optional on the 3.

Not sure if that situation has changed since that time.

Was super surprised to see them there as I'd attended Tokyo Motor Show at least 5 previous years and Tesla wasn't there, just like they don't show up to most major (and not so major) US auto shows.

FWIW, when I spoke to Tesla reps at Tokyo Motor Show 2019 (late October), as I posted at Tokyo Motor Show 2019 - Page 2 - My Nissan Leaf Forum, apparently the CHAdeMO adapter came w/the S and X there but was optional on the 3.

Not sure if that situation has changed since that time.

Was super surprised to see them there as I'd attended Tokyo Motor Show at least 5 previous years and Tesla wasn't there, just like they don't show up to most major (and not so major) US auto shows.
The fact that it's optional doesn't change the fact that almost every Tesla driver in Japan would want one. It's analogous to saying that almost every Tesla driver in North America would want a J1772 adapter. CHAdeMO really is that ubiquitous in Japan.

Reactions: cwerdna