TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

Overseas Sim Cards

Discussion in 'Model X: User Interface' started by 3Dog20, Aug 4, 2018.

1. 3Dog20

3Dog20 Member

I have imported a Tesla X into Costa Rica (third one in the country)
    Could anyone give me a definitive answer on the following:

I am using a portable modem, this gives me Tesla updates, Google Maps (with me traveling in it), and Internet Radio, however navigation and Slacker does not work.

If I installed a local sim card, would that allow navigation as well as other items that are not working with WI-FI to function?
    If I installed a USA Sim Card with roaming, would that work?

Anyone have any workarounds?

• Informative x 1
  2. oliversl

oliversl New Member

Will try to ask about that. Your's might be the red MX? Congrats!

3. DCGOO

DCGOO Member

In what country did you purchase the Tesla? Since you mentioned Slacker, I presume .US, Spotify is the streaming vendor used outside .US/.CA. If you could get your modem/router to establish a VPN to a .US IP address, you might be able to get Slacker to work. But since Tesla’s are not sold for use in .CR (presumptions on my part), you are probably not going to have Nav. I doubt Tesla has bothered to make Nav maps for the country (it is a lot of work for just 3 cars). Changing the SIM would have no effect.

4. 3Dog20

3Dog20 Member

Will try to ask about that. Your's might be the red MX? Congrats!

Im the White one

5. .jg.

.jg. Member

Can you create a route (within Costa RIca) in navigation, when the car is connected via WiFi?

6. 3Dog20

3Dog20 Member

I have experienced the following

When I use a Mobile Hot-Spot with a local Costa Rica Sim Card, I get;

The Good
    A complete map with traffic noted by green, orange, red, and maroon. I can see where I am moving in the map at any given time.
    Tune-In Radio Stations

The Bad
    Wi-Fi is very buggy, does not connect automatically
    Wi-Fi disconnects fairly often (always 1-2 bars)
    I cannot create a route with turn by turn navigation
    No Podcasts
    No Albums, songs, etc

When I place a Butterfly VPN (USA) on the Mobile Hot-Spot with the Costa Rican Sim card I get;

The Good
    A complete map with traffic noted by green, orange, red, and maroon. I can see where I am moving in the map at any given time.
    Tune-In Radio Stations
    All songs, search by artist, podcasts, albums, colorful album logos in dash, etc. (I assume this is what Slacker is)

The Bad
    VPN Wi-Fi signal seems even worse, still does not connect automatically
    Wi-Fi disconnects even more often
    I still cannot create a route with turn by turn navigation
    The map actually degrades or disappears when signal weakens, stops working at all for short periods of time, traffic colors inside the map stop working when the signal is low sometimes with the VPN

Any technical thoughts or advice would be appreciated

• Helpful x 1
  7. TaoJones

TaoJones Beyond Driven

You can contact Tesla for your Slacker credentials, and use those to log into slacker.com (don't forget to select the higher quality streaming (320kbps where/when available) just for the sake of completeness) and to have handy in case the car's variant requires a login (it's happened to me twice in ~4 years). There are 3 flavors of Slacker - S/X owners at the least have the middle flavor (no ads, but can't build playlists or replay tracks).

Good luck with the rest. If Costa Rica ends up being a destination of choice in about 5 years, I wouldn't mind importing a Tesla. Thanks for helping to blaze that path.

8. .jg.

.jg. Member

I would think this means Tesla have not included Costa Rica in their navigation maps. My understanding is that the maps used for turn by turn navigation are separate from those displayed on the big screen. You can sometimes see this when the map on the big screen is up to date but the turn by turn navigation is giving directions for an old junction, that has been changed.
    What happens if you enter latitude and longitude coordinates for some Costa Rican destination in the navigator?

9. tpham07

tpham07 Active Member

navigation will not work. The software for navigation is designed by tesla, thus will only work in countries tesla has designated as supported.

10. 3Dog20

3Dog20 Member

I will try entering latitude and longitude coordinates for a Costa Rican landmark and see what happens.

11. .jg.

.jg. Member

I'm in the UK and therefore have European navigation maps. I tried entering "1600 Pennsylvania Avenue, Washington DC".... The big map showed me the area, with landmarks, traffic and the pop up showed me a distance and offered the possibility to add the address as a favourite - but the "Navigate" button was greyed out. I suppose you are seeing the same for Costa Rican addresses.

12. oliversl

oliversl New Member

Looks like the wifi antena is in the "Passenger side mirror" as noted in:
    Undocumented | TeslaTap

Try putting the wifi hotspot near the passenger window, there are also hotspots (the size of a book) with bigger antenas, but they don't have baterry:
    kölbi | Personas