Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Overstaying at a charger

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

M1tch

2021 M3P with EAP
Nov 16, 2021
Gloucester, England
Spent over an hour waiting for someone to return to their car tonight after they had finished charging. It was a BP Pulse one. Am I right in thinking there is absolutely nothing that can be done? They could have been anyone anywhere so finding them wasn’t always option….

Spent over an hour waiting for someone to return to their car tonight after they had finished charging. It was a BP Pulse one. Am I right in thinking there is absolutely nothing that can be done? They could have been anyone anywhere so finding them wasn’t always option….
Not only finding them but waking them up if they had gone to their hotel/ or somewhere to sleep. I was staying in Cornwall and the hotel did not have DC but they agreed to allow me to use the granny charger. I used it for couple of hours and got few extra electrons in case Lifton was too far. But the next 3 days there was an Audi who occupied the charger the whole night and the receptionist could not get thro to his line and wasn’t too bold enough to knock on their door. Anyhow I did not want to create a scene and again I had access to Camborne chargers in half an hour. But some people with electric cars behave unreasonable and not much can be done unless you are not that bothered about spoiling your day!

Are you sure they didn’t use their car and need to charge? A charge point is afterall there for charging. LED’s off doesn’t necessarily mean not charging.

Definitely annoying when blocked. Shame more hotels don’t have more chargers plus the ability to book them.

TBH 22kW and below I would have no qualm leaving my car charging after say 9:00pm. If it ends at 2:00am I’m not getting up to move it. I might do just before breakfast depending on how busy the hotel is.

Last edited:
Reactions: Mrklaw
Yes it was definitely charging. The screen on the charger said 60% ish when I got there and 30 mins or so later said “complete unplug and return to the dock” (or words to that effect).

I wouldn’t mind but now work have banned charging and the nearest points I can use are 30 min drive away (and they have all been out of service for 2 weeks) this was my next nearest at 35 mins away. If I now leave the car, sentry off and don’t wake it, I can just about get back to sarn park for a fast charge on my way home

Yes it was definitely charging. The screen on the charger said 60% ish when I got there and 30 mins or so later said “complete unplug and return to the dock” (or words to that effect).

I wouldn’t mind but now work have banned charging and the nearest points I can use are 30 min drive away (and they have all been out of service for 2 weeks) this was my next nearest at 35 mins away. If I now leave the car, sentry off and don’t wake it, I can just about get back to sarn park for a fast charge on my way home
Some chargers unplug without having to unlock. It depends on the chargers and if fully charged it unlocks if you pull the charger.

I wouldn’t want someone to unplug my car mid-charge but I don’t think any reasonable person would object to you doing it after their charge is complete…

If it was my car, I would be embarrassed to have charger hogged, rather than worried about someone plugging a cable.

I think it's more than fair to unplug an unlocked cable. But if it's a DC Rapid then you'd be very lucky for the cable to stretch far enough - maybe if they're right hand side chargeport and it's two bays one charger.

Reactions: ACarneiro
If it was my car, I would be embarrassed to have charger hogged, rather than worried about someone plugging a cable.

I think it's more than fair to unplug an unlocked cable. But if it's a DC Rapid then you'd be very lucky for the cable to stretch far enough - maybe if they're right hand side chargeport and it's two bays one charger.
+1

I've unplugged someone before, because their car had completed charging and I had sat there for 30 minutes already with no sign of them. I have a clear conscience about it.

That being said, when I first got an EV (Evezy i3 on subscription) I had no idea how long it would take to charge, so would plug it in and wander off into town to get some food. I didn't realise also that it took as long if not longer to go from 20-85% as it does from 85-100%. There was no option to set a charge limit, so I just plugged in and came back whenever I was done (usually ~1 hour later). I can imagine in that situation that I might have annoyed someone who had turned up, but in my defence no one taught me any of this stuff - I had to (quickly) learn it as I went along.

ordered 50 of those. will have some generic "being a dick" message printed and stuffed in those.

first they see it - they will *sugar* themselves
they will remember this for a long time and more or less no harm done.

just a bit passive aggressive here :D

Last edited:
Or it will alienate and aggravate otherwise we’ll meaning people. They probably didn’t buy an EV because they have the ‘don’t care’ kind of attitude/perspective.
it should not. because no marks, no damage, just attention.

however, original intention is to use these on ICEd chargers.. :)

but at work I have printed and applied some of the "please remember to remove your vehicle as soon as your charge is finished" stickers. because there's couple of morons at work who keep using the 7KW charger for 8 hrs, when their MG Zs have like 40 KWH battery

it should not. because no marks, no damage, just attention.

however, original intention is to use these on ICEd chargers.. :)

but at work I have printed and applied some of the "please remember to remove your vehicle as soon as your charge is finished" stickers. because there's couple of morons at work who keep using the 7KW charger for 8 hrs, when their MG Zs have like 40 KWH battery
Makes me happy that I have a petrol option for when I'm going more than 150 miles from home (very rare)😅