Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

OVMS - 2G being turned off in US by AT & T

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Regarding the shutdown of 2G network for AT&T in USA:

We have partnered with hologram.io to provide a cellular network for OVMS users (both v2 and v3). Early feedback from our users has been fantastic, and this is now running in a bunch of OVMS cars. Use of this is entirely optional, and the cost-effectiveness will depend on where you are in the world and what other cellular options you have. We're not forcing you to use Hologram; just making it easy for you to choose them if you want. OVMS v3 will come with hologram.io SIMs included as standard (but easily replaced if you choose not to use it). For OVMS v2 users in USA, with the imminent shutdown of the AT&T 2G network, we recommend Hologram.IO now. You can get SIMs from Hologram directly at Store, and Tom has penned an excellent write-up of how to switch to Hologram at Hologram for OVMS.

Regards, Mark.

Reactions: wiztecy
Had a spare T-Mobile SIM lying around from the 200MB free for life promotion that was being pitched a year and change ago (was installed on my iPad) that I figured to move when I got the text from h2o wireless regarding disconnecting the network on the 31st.

Lo and behold, send the GPRS epc.tmobile.com - - command.

Swap sims, and OVMS is working.

Can't send any text commands to the device, but it sees the GPRS and is using data.

Interesting that the App control parameters window still shows att.mvno as the APN under #5. I tested by locking and unlocking the car via the App and that works.

Figure I don't need 200MB per month on OVMS, right?

Nowhere near that. Maybe 2MB/month tops.

How much is this T-Mobile SIM per month?
T-Mobile has a special deal where you can activate a tablet and get 200MB of data every month for free. I don't know if/how they would know if you pulled the SIM from the tablet and stuck it in an OVMS. I'm under the impression they use some sort of IEMI white-list, so it shouldn't work. I have two tablets on that plan but I won't risk losing it to test it in the OVMS.

T-Mobile has a special deal where you can activate a tablet and get 200MB of data every month for free. I don't know if/how they would know if you pulled the SIM from the tablet and stuck it in an OVMS. I'm under the impression they use some sort of IEMI white-list, so it shouldn't work. I have two tablets on that plan but I won't risk losing it to test it in the OVMS.
doesn't work, correct IEMI white-list.

doesn't work, correct IEMI white-list.

Color me lucky then... :cool: I signed up for the tablet plan on the first weekend of the offer... this SIM was on an iPad that I had where the SIM port on the iPad failed.

I moved the SIM over a year ago to a mifi device and it worked for that time, I just moved it to OVMS today and it works as well.

The 200MB per month was a free for life after you buy the SIM (I spent $5 for the SIM when the promotion was running).

My T-Mobile account was established the first day that the brand launched in California just after Cingular had a bandwidth swap with Voicestream to form T-Mobile.

Thanks for the answer on the usage. I figured that was a case when I looked at the last 90 days of data usage on the iPhone app

Nowhere near that. Maybe 2MB/month tops.

How much is this T-Mobile SIM per month?

@markwj, do you have the answer for this...

Interesting that the App control parameters window still shows att.mvno as the APN under #5. I tested by locking and unlocking the car via the App and that works.

@markwj, do you have the answer for this...

Nope. The App Settings -> (i) -> Control -> Parameters screen queries the car module directly and just shows them on the screen. Whatever is in the module is what should show there. Perhaps the T-Mobile SIM/service doesn't care what the APN is set to and your change never took?

Could you help me understand the purpose of this command in Tom's write-up?
Code:
AP OVMS - OVMS M IP api.openvehicles.com hologram - - <vehicleid> <serverpass> - - - - <vehicletype>

I just did the GPRS hologram command and it seems to be working. But I have practically no signal in my garage, so it only works when I'm out driving around.

I just switched from ATT to T-Mobile. They had an add 2 lines, get 2 lines free unlimited data under T-Mobile One plan promo around Black Friday. I thought about using one of the lines for OVMS, but figured it'd be more practical to add to an iPad. It's just my wife and I with our two iPhones and two iPads.

T-Mobile does have a $5/month plan for "wearables." I wonder if OVMS can qualify for that? Maybe just call T-Mobile and say you want to a add a data logger that tracks movement or something? The only "wearables" on the T-Mobile site right now are Samsung Smartwatches, Gear S2 and Gear S3. Otherwise I think it's $20/month for tablet line which is overkill for OVMS.

Could you help me understand the purpose of this command in Tom's write-up?
Code:
AP OVMS - OVMS M IP api.openvehicles.com hologram - - <vehicleid> <serverpass> - - - - <vehicletype>

I just did the GPRS hologram command and it seems to be working. But I have practically no signal in my garage, so it only works when I'm out driving around.

The AP command stands for Auto-Provisioning. It allows us to send one SMS to the module to configure everything. There is no SMS response to the command, so it is free under Hologram.

The first parameter is the module password. It is used to authenticate the AP command itself. The remaining parameters are parameters #0 onwards, to be set, in order. A '-' would result in the parameter being blanked.

Had a spare T-Mobile SIM lying around from the 200MB free for life promotion that was being pitched a year and change ago (was installed on my iPad) that I figured to move when I got the text from h2o wireless regarding disconnecting the network on the 31st.

Lo and behold, send the GPRS epc.tmobile.com - - command.

Swap sims, and OVMS is working.

Can't send any text commands to the device, but it sees the GPRS and is using data.

Figure I don't need 200MB per month on OVMS, right?

Conversion to Hologram.io went well, except I have the same problem as Can't send any text commands to device, but it sess the GPRS and is using data. Any ideas on how to correct this?

As of January 1st AT&T killed G2 in Los Angeles :(

hny.gif

(from all your friends at AT&T)