Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

OVMS - 2G being turned off in US by AT & T

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Well, thought I'd try the Google Fi data only sim with OVMS. So far, no luck. I tested it with an iPhone 4 first to make sure it was still working. Then, sent this command through the Hologram console to change the APN to h2g2:

AP OVMS - OVMS M IP api.openvehicles.com h2g2 - - <vehicleid> <serverpass> - - - - TR

The OVMS disconnected. I swapped the sim over, and the LED is solid GREEN now with no blinking error codes. But, no connectivity on the app. Not sure why.

Ok... three weeks later (activated on the 27th or 28t of Feb...)

931.27KB Since activation...

So, far, $0.70 in data and $0.40 for monthly subscription for Pay as you go...

Decided to keep the additional free line on T-Mobile on alternate device, better to activate another device with it, than OVMS... OVMS is not using up much data

Ok... first month just ended, so that's $1.44 for our usage and monthly charge...

Mine used 11.71MB for the month that just ended.

Maybe there is something wrong with the version of the app or OVMS firmware that I'm using? Often when I open the app, it will already be connected to the car, showing "Live" or 1 minute since last connection. That seems like it is never disconnecting...

Reactions: dhrivnak
Just moved from globalsimcard to hologram.io, and, and unfortunately, no improvement in 2G coverage here in Ventura, CA. Very much looking forward to OVMS v3. [Joined the OVMSdev v3 listserv, but couldn't tell if they're looking for beta testers.]

Mine used 11.71MB for the month that just ended.

Maybe there is something wrong with the version of the app or OVMS firmware that I'm using? Often when I open the app, it will already be connected to the car, showing "Live" or 1 minute since last connection. That seems like it is never disconnecting...

As discussed on PM, the issue here is the App being left connected. I don't think we ever resolved why the App is connected so much, but from the logs that was definitely the root cause.

In normal operation the vehicle will report changes to the server once every ten-to-sixty minutes. When an App is connected, it reports changes once every minute and/or instantly for things like doors opening/closing. Also, when an App is connected, and GPS streaming is enabled, the vehicle will stream location information in realtime.

When you start the App, you should see a flashing green antenna and a data-delay indicator of somewhere between 1 and 59 minutes. After a few seconds, it should go 'live'.

Just moved from globalsimcard to hologram.io, and, and unfortunately, no improvement in 2G coverage here in Ventura, CA. Very much looking forward to OVMS v3. [Joined the OVMSdev v3 listserv, but couldn't tell if they're looking for beta testers.]

OVMS v3 hardware is pretty much done. We will have 'release candidate' boards this week. Firmware porting has started and is in progress. We''ll be keeping the first run of hardware small, and just for developers, in case any issues are found down the road and we need to make hardware changes. Anyone is welcome to join that batch, but bear in mind that if there is a hardware issue, this early beta hardware may need manual modification and/or not work down the road - so really best to let us make sure things are stable unless you are comfortable with a soldering iron and teeny tiny surface mount components.

As discussed on PM, the issue here is the App being left connected. I don't think we ever resolved why the App is connected so much, but from the logs that was definitely the root cause.

In normal operation the vehicle will report changes to the server once every ten-to-sixty minutes. When an App is connected, it reports changes once every minute and/or instantly for things like doors opening/closing. Also, when an App is connected, and GPS streaming is enabled, the vehicle will stream location information in realtime.

When you start the App, you should see a flashing green antenna and a data-delay indicator of somewhere between 1 and 59 minutes. After a few seconds, it should go 'live'.

Hmm. Yeah, still doesn't seem to do that. I do have very weak service in the garage and it goes in and out of being connected. It's settled at about 7.5 MB / month.

Hmm. Yeah, still doesn't seem to do that. I do have very weak service in the garage and it goes in and out of being connected. It's settled at about 7.5 MB / month.

The issue I'm seeing with your usage is that the App is connected to the server often and for long durations. Nothing to do with the vehicle connection. When one or more Apps are connected, the vehicle produces more data.

I don't think it is the app, since my Android phone died 2 months ago (before 4/24) and I switched to an iPhone exclusively. Last weekend I switched back to an Android phone. Neither switch has made any difference on my data usage. See below.

Capture2.PNG

I don't think it is the app, since my Android phone died 2 months ago (before 4/24) and I switched to an iPhone exclusively. Last weekend I switched back to an Android phone. Neither switch has made any difference on my data usage.

Based on server logs, the App was the problem a couple of months ago when we last discussed this.

The problem in the past 48 hours is that the car module can't maintain it's connection. 168 connections on 20th June. It connects, sends a few bytes telemetry, then two minutes later disconnects (with T-mobile rounding up that data usage for each connection). Compare that to 1 connection in that same period for my personal car (last connection was 123,058 seconds, vs an average of 140 seconds for your car).

GSM signal level for you is around 6 most of that time, which is about the same as for my car (coverage in my area is also terrible).

Based on server logs, the App was the problem a couple of months ago when we last discussed this.

The problem in the past 48 hours is that the car module can't maintain it's connection. 168 connections on 20th June. It connects, sends a few bytes telemetry, then two minutes later disconnects (with T-mobile rounding up that data usage for each connection). Compare that to 1 connection in that same period for my personal car (last connection was 123,058 seconds, vs an average of 140 seconds for your car).

GSM signal level for you is around 6 most of that time, which is about the same as for my car (coverage in my area is also terrible).

Yeah, it gets a connection very infrequently in my garage when the doors are closed. Then it is usually fine while driving.

Could it be the firmware version? I just updated the firmware on the OVMS at the same time I switched to Hologram.

Yeah, it gets a connection very infrequently in my garage when the doors are closed. Then it is usually fine while driving.

Could it be the firmware version? I just updated the firmware on the OVMS at the same time I switched to Hologram.

Not likely. We really haven't changed the comms stuff much in a long time. It is worth checking the antenna location and connectors - make sure it is as best as you can get it.

The biggest bummer for me is that when I lost AT&T service via GlobalSIM, my setting weren't in the state I want. I'm set for cooldown and then real charge at midnight, but for STORAGE mode. Without getting a SIM card that actually works (T-Mobile I guess), is there some way for me to connect to the OVMS, perhaps via the stuff I use for firmware flashing, and reset the program? That way even though I can't remote monitor, at least my car will charge properly.

The biggest bummer for me is that when I lost AT&T service via GlobalSIM, my setting weren't in the state I want. I'm set for cooldown and then real charge at midnight, but for STORAGE mode. Without getting a SIM card that actually works (T-Mobile I guess), is there some way for me to connect to the OVMS, perhaps via the stuff I use for firmware flashing, and reset the program? That way even though I can't remote monitor, at least my car will charge properly.
It seems so:
OVMS - 2G being turned off in US by AT & T

Quick question about using OVMS and Hologram. Is there a way to get it to not respond to SMS commands? Since we are charged for SMS messages sent from the OVMS, but not for SMS messages sent to the device, is there a way to disable replies to commands?

That way I could configure things from the console for free.

Quick question about using OVMS and Hologram. Is there a way to get it to not respond to SMS commands? Since we are charged for SMS messages sent from the OVMS, but not for SMS messages sent to the device, is there a way to disable replies to commands?

That way I could configure things from the console for free.

You can try setting the CARBITS feature 14 to 6 (FEATURE_CB_SAD_SMS & FEATURE_CB_SOUT_SMS). That should suppress all outbound SMS.