TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

OVMS and Homelink

Discussion in 'Roadster' started by simonog, Mar 30, 2015.

1. simonog

simonog Member

I have Homelink set up in my car to operate my electric gates and to operate the garage door.

The Homelink buttons work fine when i touch them manually.

I also have OVMS set up, and at the location of the gates I sent the text messages:
    ACC PARAMS HOMELINK 0
    ACC PARAMS RADIUS 20
    ACC ENABLE

The car NEVER operates the gates as it approaches them.

Has anyone else managed to get Homelink to trigger automatically? Am I missing something or is there a known problem?

2. 7racer

7racer Member

do you have the newest OVMS box?
    it works for me but sometimes it's sporadic

3. JohnGarziglia

Mine works reliably about 95% of the time. It is one of the great things about OVMS. I cannot figure why it does not work the other 5% of the time. I recall that I did not put in a radius but kept the default. I suggest trying the default radius to see if it works. The default radius appears to trigger it anywhere from about 125 feet to about 30 feet from my garage door.

4. supersnoop

supersnoop Tesla Roadster #334

I think HOMELINK is 1, 2, or 3. What happens if you just send HOMELINK 0 to the unit? does it open the gate?

5. simonog

simonog Member

My OVMS box is three weeks old and it's not sporadic - it fires never!

- - - Updated - - -

I tried the default and reduced it because it didn't fire. I will try it again and at least I know it sounds as if it's a bit flaky. I'd just like it to fire SOMEtimes!

- - - Updated - - -

That is interesting - in some documentation I have seen 0,1,2 and in other 1,2,3.

I will try to shift it by 1 in case it's that simple! Good suggestion.

How would I send an immediate HOMELINK command to operate now rather than when it approached the geofence?

6. supersnoop

You can use the app, but I think it's as simple as sending a text "HOMELINK 1" to the car.

7. simonog

simonog Member

I tried that and it says it was activated thank you though it doesn't seem to operate the device. It also allows Homelink 0 to 4 all to say Activated so there is no range check!

8. supersnoop

No, there's no range check; it's not related to ACC. It's exactly the same as pushing the button in the car, which you can do no matter where the car is located. Do you have a garage door programmed in, or just the gate? Did any of them operate any device?

9. simonog

simonog Member

I have two completely separate devices: 1 is the gate; 2 is the garage.

Touching the car's button for the appropriate device operates it 95%+ of the time.

Using the HOMELINK 1 command in the OVMS module opens the gate reliably.

Using HOMELINK 2 in the OVMS module never opens the garage. (nor does 3 - just checking it isn't somehow in the wrong slot in the car).

Currently I confess to being stumped for ideas.

10. simonog

simonog Member

Curiouser and curiouser! Today I discovered by luck that when I text it the command HOMELINK 2, the OVMS module appears to be operating device 1. HOMELINK 1 also operates device 1.

I know the device codes have been learnt differently in the car as the two which are set up, when operated from the car's touchscreen, only operate the appropriate Homelink controlled device.

Anyone else seen this, and know how to get round it? And yes, the car (Roadster 2.5, non sport) has the very latest firmware from Tesla and the OVMS module has the latest Roadster specific firmware.

11. Mark77a

Mark77a Member

So you flashed the eprom ? (that was my mistake)

(oh and where in UK RU, Simon ? .... us active roadsters are few and far between )

Mark, Dorset/Windsor

12. simonog

simonog Member

The module is brand new and was delivered with the generic firmware. I wanted the ACC command so flashed with the TR specific image. Was that foolish?

[I'm in Sussex, near Brighton]

13. Mark77a

Mark77a Member

I dont think foolish, but I had an issue with trying to set ACC without the TR flash (durrr).. scared the **** out of me !
    Now just using app and VDU.

14. simonog

simonog Member

The app gives the same result as the Homelink command sent by SMS. It's what I would expect as I assume the app internally just triggers a HOMELINK command.

Does anyone else have more than one Homelink device set up and find it works from text messages or the app? Or do they see my problem where only the first Homelink device gets triggered by the OVMS module.