Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

OVMS AT&T GoPhone SIM card installation guide

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Thanks, Tom. Well now, that was simply too obvious for me to figure out all by myself :redface:

I did that, but still have the "Permission denied" response to "STAT? MYNEWPW" if done from another cell phone. I am working with Mark on this ...

There is no STAT? command, it's just STAT, but STAT? seems to work the same as STAT.

Although the source code says STAT has to come from the registered phone or give the password, I just tried mine from a different phone without sending the password and it got the normal response.

What firmware version do you have? You can get it from the vehicle info screen on the smartphone app. (Sending a VERSION command via SMS just returns the time twice. That seems like bug.)

My version is 2.6.7/TR/V2.

BTW, I'm running a slightly modified version of the 2.6.7/TR/V2 firmware, so any of the weirdness I'm seeing could be my fault.

Last edited:
Version is 2.3.2/TR/V2

I use the "?" because version 1.3.1 (30th September 2012) of the Guide I have says so ;-)

There is no STAT? command, it's just STAT, but STAT? seems to work the same as STAT.

Although the source code says STAT has to come from the registered phone or give the password, I just tried mine from a different phone without sending the password and it got the normal response.

What firmware version do you have? You can get it from the vehicle info screen on the smartphone app. (Sending a VERSION command via SMS just returns the time twice. That seems like bug.)

My version is 2.6.7/TR/V2.

BTW, I'm running a slightly modified version of the 2.6.7/TR/V2 firmware, so any of the weirdness I'm seeing could be my fault.

This may help.... my OVMS stopped working 5 weeks ago... I noticed the reason was the for GPRS the APN value of WAP.CINGULAR had disappeared.... I re-added it with 'GPRS WAP.CINGULAR - -', and it worked for a few minutes and then stopped again. I suggest you read this at&t apn settings - Step by Step Configuration for the APN settings. After reading the settings it appears the WAP.CINGULAR is for 3G.... when you set it to 'phone' with 'GPRS phone - -' it worked and remained working.... the APN 'phone' setting is for 4G....
Go figure.
good luck

Regarding the shutdown of 2G network for AT&T in USA:

We have partnered with hologram.io to provide a cellular network for OVMS users (both v2 and v3). Early feedback from our users has been fantastic, and this is now running in a bunch of OVMS cars. Use of this is entirely optional, and the cost-effectiveness will depend on where you are in the world and what other cellular options you have. We're not forcing you to use Hologram; just making it easy for you to choose them if you want. OVMS v3 will come with hologram.io SIMs included as standard (but easily replaced if you choose not to use it). For OVMS v2 users in USA, with the imminent shutdown of the AT&T 2G network, we recommend Hologram.IO now. You can get SIMs from Hologram directly at Store, and Tom has penned an excellent write-up of how to switch to Hologram at Hologram for OVMS.

Regards, Mark.