Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

OVMS AT&T GoPhone SIM card installation guide

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
All the plans I see on that page are associated with a limited number of days. Where are you reading that it doesn't expire?

You're right. I misread the data only plans. It looks like they all have a time limit.

Sounds like GeoSIM is the way to go. I emailed them and got this

"We have clients using GeoSIM in OVMS already in the USA and around the
world.

In the US we primarily use T Mobile, but the SIM will switch to AT if no T
Mobile is available.

Credit does not expire.

You can order online at www.globalsimcard.co.uk"

I went with the GeoSIM myself it also sounds like the best way to go. However I'm having an issue trying to find an "unlocked" phone in order to set the network profile to US. If anyone is in the South Bay / San Jose / Santa Cruz area who has a phone that's unlocked which I can place my SIM in to set the profile I'd really appreciate it.

Won't work unless the profile is set.

Also if you buy a GeoSIM, say you were referred to by OVMS for use in an OVMS. I think OVMS may get some credit for that....

Last edited:
Heard from Roam Mobility. Only for Canadian customers anyway

Our service is mainly for Canadian's traveling to the US to save on long distance and roaming costs. That being said, the plans can only be purchased using a Canadian address and Canadian Credit Card.

Besides the above, our service supports Unlimited Talk and Text to and US or Canadian phone number while traveling in the US. The sim card, is valid for one year from the last plan on the account. So, you can not use it for up to 11 months before the phone number would expire, and as long as you add a plan on prior to the one year expiry date, it would be extended for another year.

- - - Updated - - -

GeoSIM does seem the way to go.

I ended up buying a ATT Alcatel 871A GoPhone with SIM from WalMart for $14. Set it up with $100 credit for $90 from callingmart.com on the .10/min plan, with the $5 texting option (200msgs). Pulled the sim, put it in the OVMS. Took a bit of playing around to get the GPRS working. Ended up using the following settings:

APN:wap.cingular
User:[email protected]
Password:CINGULAR1

It didn't work with a blank user/password and all of the settings are definitely case sensitive (didn't work with the the APN all in caps).

In 10 or so months when my credit expires I'll probably switch over to GeoSim, as it seems like that may be a better deal. We'll see.

Just an FYI. My $100 1-year GoPhone SIM plan was going to expire next week with $65 left on the account. I called AT&T and asked them to extend the expiration date. They moved it ahead an entire year. So now I will have gotten 2 years for $100 or a little over $4/month. It it worth the 5 minute phone call to customer service.

Just an FYI. My $100 1-year GoPhone SIM plan was going to expire next week with $65 left on the account. I called AT&T and asked them to extend the expiration date. They moved it ahead an entire year. So now I will have gotten 2 years for $100 or a little over $4/month. It it worth the 5 minute phone call to customer service.

Nice work. Every time I've ever called I could only get them to extend it a much shorter time.

Just wanted to note that if you obtain a DataConnect SIM from AT&T, there are apparently different APN settings from GoPhone or their other services. Despite AT&T repeatedly telling me that the correct APN name was 'WAP.CINGULAR' with no username or password for the DataConnect plan, and my trying the many combinations of APN/user/pass on this thread, the APN that [finally] worked for me was 'broadband' with no username or password. AT&T wanted to charge me $40/month to add a GoPhone package to my account so I opted for their DataConnect plan for $15/month (intended for tablets, no SMS) and used a friend's SIM for initial config of the OVMS module. Hope this helps anyone trying to get set up with the same plan.

Just wanted to note that if you obtain a DataConnect SIM from AT&T, there are apparently different APN settings from GoPhone or their other services. Despite AT&T repeatedly telling me that the correct APN name was 'WAP.CINGULAR' with no username or password for the DataConnect plan, and my trying the many combinations of APN/user/pass on this thread, the APN that [finally] worked for me was 'broadband' with no username or password. AT&T wanted to charge me $40/month to add a GoPhone package to my account so I opted for their DataConnect plan for $15/month (intended for tablets, no SMS) and used a friend's SIM for initial config of the OVMS module. Hope this helps anyone trying to get set up with the same plan.
The H2O Wireless deal is $10/90 days, uses the AT&T network, and is very easy to configure. GeoSIM is even cheaper, although that SMS is expensive.

Does DataConnect offer some advantage over those options?

The H2O Wireless deal is $10/90 days, uses the AT&T network, and is very easy to configure. GeoSIM is even cheaper, although that SMS is expensive.

Does DataConnect offer some advantage over those options?

The base DataConnect package is 250MB/month with no SMS. I just wanted it in a hurry before the holidays and went to the AT&T store.

Thanks for the tips on H2O Wireless, I think I'll give them a shot.

So ... <embarrassed>

The originally registered phone was lost quite some time ago; the Android app (on a separate tablet) has been used successfully since original setup. I think I remember the correct MYNEWPASSWD, but any query attempt using a new cell phone with (for example) "STAT? <MYNEWPASSWD>" results in a response of "Permission denied".

Has anyone else seen this ? Is this response from the OVMS module, the OVMS Server, or the result of an incorrectly configured APN on the new cell phone ?

Basically ... what can be done to register the new phone with the car ?

TIA for any help. :redface:

So ... <embarrassed>

The originally registered phone was lost quite some time ago; the Android app (on a separate tablet) has been used successfully since original setup. I think I remember the correct MYNEWPASSWD, but any query attempt using a new cell phone with (for example) "STAT? <MYNEWPASSWD>" results in a response of "Permission denied".

Has anyone else seen this ? Is this response from the OVMS module, the OVMS Server, or the result of an incorrectly configured APN on the new cell phone ?

Basically ... what can be done to register the new phone with the car ?

TIA for any help. :redface:

The default module password is 'OVMS'. Try that, in case it hasn't been changed.

Or, if you still have cellphone App access, you can change parameter #0 (Registered Telephone) from the App parameters screen. You'll need to put it in the same format as the cellular provider sends caller id to you (for me that is +852....) - you can probably just get away with leaving the prefix as it is and just changing the number part.

Thanks, Tom. Well now, that was simply too obvious for me to figure out all by myself :redface:

I did that, but still have the "Permission denied" response to "STAT? MYNEWPW" if done from another cell phone. I am working with Mark on this ...

If you know the module password (MYNEWPASSWD) send this text message to the OVMS phone number:

REGISTER MYNEWPASSWD

That will register the sending phone with your OVMS device, replacing whatever phone number was previously registered.