TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

OVMS failure

Discussion in 'Roadster' started by simonog, Mar 1, 2017.

1. simonog

simonog Member

My OVMS box has stopped working :(

When powered on, it shows two flashes from red and green, a pause from red while green flashes once and then red and green on together for a few seconds; then 10 flashes from green; the 10 flashes repeat a few times' and then the whole cycle repeats.

I have checked the SIM card and it's working fine.

Do I read the manual correctly to deduce that the modem has failed? In which case am I marooned high and dry until OVMS makes it out of development? Or does anyone know how one can resurrect/replace the modem?

Please forgive the duplicate post - i think this got lost in the middle of another chain.

2. ravng

ravng Member

I had this issue on my ovms when I first got it, don't know if it's related.

Connected to the car it produced the same led sequence as you, but on my bench with a serial debug cable attached it started up no problems.

After some investigation I found that when powered thru the OBD port a lot of non-readable characters was produced on the modem RX line, confusing the modem. The quick fix was a pulldown resistor on the rx/tx lines and it has worked without a flaw afterwards.

• Informative x 1
  3. simonog

simonog Member

@ravng: I might try that - where did you fit the resistor and what value?