TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

OVMS Firmware Update Procedure

Discussion in 'Roadster' started by tomsax, May 22, 2012.

1. tomsax

tomsax Member

I've written up instructions for updating the OVMS firmware for non-developers.

Developers who want to work on the code have to go through a complex procedure to download the source code and install the tools needed to build and update the firmware. It's a lot of work if you're not going to be partying on the code. Fortunately, there's a much simpler procedure if you just want to update your box to the latest firmware. Once you've been through it once, it's very quick and easy. The hardest part is removing the box from the car and undoing the four screws to get at the circuit board.

You'll have to invest about $40 in the gizmo that transfers the bits, but it can be shared if there are other OVMS owners nearby.

2. NigelM

NigelM Recovering Member

Maybe this would be a good place to list the firmware changes?

3. markwj

markwj Moderator, Asia Pacific

Thanks for this, Tom. Most helpful.

Some notes on firmware versions:

• Most users are running v1.2.2. That is the latest stable firmware.
    • The v1.2.5 firmware that has been released to developers includes a revision to the LED scheme to give us more information on what is wrong with a module (in particular the modem communications). In particular, it will give us more information on SIM card and network errors. There are no functional enhancements - just the new LED scheme and some minor bug fixes.
    • We hope to be able to cut v1.3.0 firmware later this week. That will go to developers for testing, and then to end users a couple of weeks after that. The v1.3.0 firmware will have some nice new features (like charge time control, home link control, and a large number of new SMS commands, etc)
    • The Android App can show car firmware version. We have a new iOS App going through Apple approval that has the same capability. If you are running v1.2.5, or later, the firmware version is 'blinked out' when the module powers on.

For end-users that want to upgrade their firmware, there are now three options: (a) get a PICKIT2 and follow Tom's guidance, (b) Share a PICKIT2 amongst other users in your area, and (c) get the assistance of a developer in your area (names and contact points listed in the OVMS installation thread).

Regards, Mark.

4. smorgasbord

smorgasbord Active Member

Thanks to the OVMS team, especially Mark and Tom, I'm able to perform firmware upgrades for people near Silicon Valley.

PM me after v1.3.0 comes out if you're interested.

5. dsm363

dsm363 Roadster + Sig Model S

6. W.Petefish

W.Petefish Active Member

7. markwj

8. markwj

That works, but is much more complicated to operate for an end-user.

The PICKIT2 comes with some very very simple software that you just load the firmware .hex file into and press GO (which is why Tom, and others, are recommending it).

Regards, Mark.

9. 7racer

7racer Member

W.Petefish, are you/have you done the firmware update?

10. NigelM

NigelM Recovering Member

@Mark: assume from your post that we mortal end-users can skip v1.2.5 and wait for v1.3.0?

11. markwj

Yep. 1.2.5 is a preview for developers.

12. W.Petefish

W.Petefish Active Member

Yes I can.

13. saprolf

saprolf Member

Dear all,
    Can someone tell me what the average use in Kb or Mb is on this card. I would have to make a decision what plan to use and this would be very helpful. Thanks,

14. mpt

mpt Electrics are back

I wound up with the PicKit3 - I tried it first on Mac OSX then Windows 7 but received the same error from both versions of the IPE - it can see the PicKit3 but not the device on the end. Anyone any ideas or sources for reading?

15. dsm363

dsm363 Roadster + Sig Model S

I used an old PC with Windows XP and the PICit 2 and it worked fine. If you have access to that, maybe give that a try with the PICit3.

16. mpt

mpt Electrics are back

My problem is that I bought the Pic3 thinking that it was just a 'latest version' however, the good news is that I need to get it working anyway as I have a pic based project for work that I need to figure out so, it's all good research.

17. 7racer

7racer Member

W.Petefish! Thank you sir! You are the man! Nice to help me with upgrading my firmware and letting me see your new S!! Hope it's ok that I mention it!

18. markwj

Is the device powered? LEDs blinking?

If not, try turning on 5V power on the pickit (from software).

19. mpt

mpt Electrics are back

Mark, so, what you're asking is, "Is it switched on? Did I switch the thing on?" Dude, I've been doing this stuff for.... wait, er, bollocks.

In my defense, that thought did hit me as a packed everything away last night - one last look at Tom's screenshot showing a checkbox by vdd. I've just found same for the new IDE, I'll post up screen shots in a mo... :-0

- - - Updated - - -

Following the instructions from Tom at http://www.idleloop.com/tesla/ovms/ first to get a clear idea of what we're doing, I set about the same using the latest PicKit3 and MPE X Pic programming toolkit.

The new toolkit is available for, and works the same on Mac, Linux and Windows, available from http://www.microchip.com/pagehandler/en-us/family/mplabx/#downloads. Here I'm using Mac.

1. Launch MPLab IPE (Note P not D, Programmer not IDE)

2. Select the device PIC18F2680 - note that this isn't automatic anymore.
    OVMS 1 set device type.png

3. Load in the hex file for your device - see Tom's post for the correct version:

4. Select Advanced Mode:
    OVMS 2 Load hex file.png
    5. You'll be challenged for the password, it's "Microchip"
    OVMS 3 Advanced Mode Login 'Microchip'.png
    6. On the power tab, select "Power Target Circuit from Tool" - Thanks MarkJ
    OVMS 4 set 'Power Target Circuit from Tool'.png
    7. On the memory tab, choose "Preserve EEPROM" to retain your settings, then, save and exit advanced settings.
    OVMS 5 Preserve EEPROM.png
    8. Last step: Program:
    OVMS 6 Press Program.png