Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

OVMS Installation

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have a Verizon account and an iPhone. I already have a second device on my plan (Jet Pack - like and AirCard) and I'd like to look into getting OVMS. Has anyone used Verizon for this? What else do I need to know? I'd like to have everything set up on the phone side of the house and then go get the OVMS.

Thanks so much in advance,

RW

Since Verizon does not use a GSM network they do not sell pre-paid SIM cards. You'll need to use a GSM provider like AT&T, TMobile or the international one that Mark suggests. I've used the AT&T prepaid SIM and it works great. You can just load it with $100 for 1 year and you'll never use it all.

Thanks so much for the support and thoughts, DrComputer. It sounds like Mark may offer an arrangement with a SIM ready to go with the OVMS (I hope I'm not dreaming!). If that route is available, I could potentially get this done all at once. The whole AT&T thing is was really makes me leery. Especially when I already have Verizon and I'd like to avoid having another bill to deal with!

Every hour I read more about ALL THIS - I'm understanding it more. At first it all read like stereo instructions, now I can really decipher what we're doing on this thing! I can't wait to get my order in! Moreover, I can't wait for it to be working in #1190!

What a great community.

Would the product below from Amazon do the trick or should I just walk into a local AT&T store and ask for a prepaid GSM SIM card? I have the OVMS module, cable, and antenna, but am still waiting for the Roadster.

Amazon.com: Att Att Go Sim Card for Gsm Prepaid Cell Phone Service-no Contract Required: Everything Else
Yes, that should work or just walk into any AT&T store and they will give you one for free and you can even have them put credit on it for you while you are there.

Thanks so much for the support and thoughts, DrComputer. It sounds like Mark may offer an arrangement with a SIM ready to go with the OVMS (I hope I'm not dreaming!). If that route is available, I could potentially get this done all at once. The whole AT&T thing is was really makes me leery. Especially when I already have Verizon and I'd like to avoid having another bill to deal with!

Every hour I read more about ALL THIS - I'm understanding it more. At first it all read like stereo instructions, now I can really decipher what we're doing on this thing! I can't wait to get my order in! Moreover, I can't wait for it to be working in #1190!

What a great community.

Verizon really can't help since they don't offer pre-paid GSM SIM cards. If you just load up the AT&T card with $100 of credit you only have to deal with AT&T once a year (and just then it's just adding another $100 of credit from the online page).

Unfortunately that list does not contain the codes that my OVMS keeps texting me, and they do not appear on the VDS. What I have been getting is as follows:

Vehicle Alert Code: TR2N/934 (00000002)
Vehicle Alert Code: TR2N/1174 (00004000)
Vehicle Alert Code: TR2N/1174 (00004020)
Vehicle Alert Code:TR2N/1463 (00800000)

Can you decipher these?

Unfortunately that list does not contain the codes that my OVMS keeps texting me, and they do not appear on the VDS. What I have been getting is as follows:

Vehicle Alert Code: TR2N/934 (00000002)
Vehicle Alert Code: TR2N/1174 (00004000)
Vehicle Alert Code: TR2N/1174 (00004020)
Vehicle Alert Code:TR2N/1463 (00800000)

Can you decipher these?

Not really - if I could, they would be in the OVMS list with nice names :)

I think 934 is most likely charging related. 1174 is a debug level event that I sometimes see (I'm told nothing to worry about). Haven't seen 1463 before.

Sorry I can't be more definite. We don't have any document on the codes, so all we know is from people seeing it on their VDS and reporting the code and message to us.

There is a 920 - Charging Problem that I've seen Mark. I don't have a picture from when it happened, but the circumstances were trying to make use of a Nema 14-50 outlet at a hotel. Our guess is that there was a problem with the breaker or the wiring, but never did nail it down precisely (or get a high power charge there).

On the really fun side - when I talked to Tesla Service that night, they didn't have the code on their list either and didn't have any ideas about what to do about it either.

This is the most comprehensive I know of:

Open-Vehicle-Monitoring-System/server/ovms_server_tr.vece at master · markwj/Open-Vehicle-Monitoring-System · GitHub

If you see any others, please get a picture of the VDS and send it in to me.

There is a 920 - Charging Problem that I've seen Mark. I don't have a picture from when it happened, but the circumstances were trying to make use of a Nema 14-50 outlet at a hotel.

On the really fun side - when I talked to Tesla Service that night, they didn't have the code on their list either and didn't have any ideas about what to do about it either.

Yeah, it seems the 9xx ones are charger related. If you, or anyone, sees these codes come up, please try to snap a picture and send to me,

P.S. Me want that list...

I just want to mention a small "gotcha" i had with the AT&T Go SIM card: you need a PIN number to allow you to refill the account for the card. That pin gets sent to your "phone" but of course the sim card is actually in the module and although i think its supposed to forward any messages to your actual phone, mine didn't. I had to put the sim into a real phone to get the pin once and then put it in the OVMS module. Maybe I just did something wrong but it can happen.

I just want to mention a small "gotcha" i had with the AT&T Go SIM card: you need a PIN number to allow you to refill the account for the card. That pin gets sent to your "phone" but of course the sim card is actually in the module and although i think its supposed to forward any messages to your actual phone, mine didn't. I had to put the sim into a real phone to get the pin once and then put it in the OVMS module. Maybe I just did something wrong but it can happen.

Not sure if it works on AT&T, but the apps (in the control menu) have an option to send an MMI/USSD code. That is operator-dependent, but normal is a sequence of numbers, # and *. The response, as an SMS, should come back to the App. You just need to find the appropriate code for check-balance, or check-pin.

Hmmm that's weird. I just log in to the AT&T go website and refill the account. Never have to take the sim out.