Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

OVMS Installation

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I now have the Hologram.io SIM card in my OVMS and it is working fine for data. What I cannot get it to do, however, is to respond via SMS even though I have paid for a "local" number with Hologram.io. Neither SMS messages sent from the Hologram.io dashboard, or from my smartphone which is the registered number in OVMS, to that "local" number will yield an SMS reply from OVMS like I used to get with the AT&T SIM.

Any thoughts on trouble-shooting or what I might be doing wrong?

A few options:

1. Re-flash firmware. You'll need a PICKIT-2 or PICKIT-3 tool to do this.
  2. Hope he hasn't changed the default module password - put in a new SIM and sms 'REGISTER OVMS' to find out.
  3. Use a laptop and USB-to-serial converter, to get into SETUP/DIAG mode and reconfigure from there.

Got the SIM as suggested from Hologram - seems that the OVMS is not replying to my phone so I guess it still has the old config. I will buy a USB to serial - any instructions or tut on how to get into the setup? Not used this sort of stuff very much so a little ignorant on how to play...

Thanks,

Jonathan

Got the SIM as suggested from Hologram - seems that the OVMS is not replying to my phone so I guess it still has the old config. I will buy a USB to serial - any instructions or tut on how to get into the setup? Not used this sort of stuff very much so a little ignorant on how to play...

Thanks,

Jonathan
Before you go to that step. try to send GPRS Hologram from the Hologram Dashboard. Make sure that you enter your "from" phone number that is registered with OVMS account, otherwise the command will be rejected:
upload_2017-1-24_15-20-38.png

• Informative
Reactions: dhrivnak
Thanks for your reply, tried that - no reply...I have the last owners details - whom I'm sure will help - what do I need to get from him? Otherwise I am happy to reset the module if that can be easily done. Its a V1. Maybe it might be easier to buy a new module? Only if there is no other fairly simple way...

Thanks for your reply, tried that - no reply...I have the last owners details - whom I'm sure will help - what do I need to get from him? Otherwise I am happy to reset the module if that can be easily done. Its a V1. Maybe it might be easier to buy a new module? Only if there is no other fairly simple way...
I'm not sure what may be different with a V1, but with a V2 you would need his phone number that is registered with the OVMS.

Looking at the insides of the V1 there is a serial port - the next thing is figuring out what to do...I have an old XP windows machine with a serial port and a serial to serial cable that I play with the Canbus on my scooter - can I use this?

Looking at the insides of the V1 there is a serial port - the next thing is figuring out what to do...I have an old XP windows machine with a serial port and a serial to serial cable that I play with the Canbus on my scooter - can I use this?
I doubt it. You either need his phone number or his password to send the commands to configure the OVMS module.

• Informative
Reactions: dhrivnak
Hello all,

I was lucky enough to acquire a roadster that I'm enjoying immensely. The previous owner had the OVMS module running on H2O before he handed it over. I've since gotten the Horizon card, but it seems my module doesn't get past the 6 blinking light stage (acquiring tower signal). It will do this for a while, then the modem will reboot and the sequence starts over again. What should I try next? The antenna is connected to the GSM port and I've even tried to disable GPRS in addition to driving to different spots. Any suggestions? Thanks in advance!

With the Hologram.io SIM card, does the SMS feature work? I have not been able to send and receive SMS messages. Data to the OVMS app through the hologram.io SIM works fine. I have registered and paid for a local phone number in Hologram.

Should. Don't forget to "REGISTER OVMS" (or whatever module password you have set) to register your phone with the module.

Hello all,

I was lucky enough to acquire a roadster that I'm enjoying immensely. The previous owner had the OVMS module running on H2O before he handed it over. I've since gotten the Horizon card, but it seems my module doesn't get past the 6 blinking light stage (acquiring tower signal). It will do this for a while, then the modem will reboot and the sequence starts over again. What should I try next? The antenna is connected to the GSM port and I've even tried to disable GPRS in addition to driving to different spots. Any suggestions? Thanks in advance!

Bumping this thread. Anyone have any suggestions on what I can try to debug this? (Btw, mistype, I meant I have the hologram card). Thanks.

Did you send the "GPRS Hologram" command before switching SIM cards? Or when you had GPRS disabled?

Thanks for your note. Actually I was not able to do this. The subscription for the previous owner's SIM card (on H2O) had already expired. Is there any other way aside from doing a FW re-flash to reset the module? Or would I be able to send instructions directly through the serial port?

Thanks for your note. Actually I was not able to do this. The subscription for the previous owner's SIM card (on H2O) had already expired. Is there any other way aside from doing a FW re-flash to reset the module? Or would I be able to send instructions directly through the serial port?
I was able to send the command from the Hologram dashboard and it worked (see post #583 above). You need to know the previous owner's phone number that was registered with OVMS.

I have a different problem: my OVMS box has stopped working :(

When powered on, it shows two flashes from red and green, a pause from red while green flashes once and then red and green on together for a few seconds; then 10 flashes from green; the 10 flashes repeat a few times' and then the whole cycle repeats.

I have checked the SIM card and it's working fine.

Do I read the manual correctly to deduce that the modem has failed? In which case am I marooned high and dry until OVMS makes it out of development?