Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

OVMS Installation

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

Tom, thanks so much for these instructions. I just switched over from AT&T to H2O as well and most everything seems to be working well. Only thing, I cannot figure out....text messages sent to the OVMS device don't seem to be forwarding to my phone by SMS or IP (via the app) even though the notification parameter is set to SMSIP. I'm trying to be able to see my account balance online at the H2O website and it seems that to add the phone number to the account I need to be able to enter a password that is sent via text and since the texts don't forward to my phone I have no way of seeing the password they are sending me. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.

Skadax, I think you're hitting the bug related to new users with iOS 8.4 and push notifications.

We have a version going through app store review at the moment, and about to be released as a beta release. If you want access to the beta (via test flight), send me a PM with your email address for the invite.

Will this update fix the problem I've been having of my ios6 iPad getting notifications but my ios8 iPhone not getting them? I set up ovms on the iPad first, then got the phone later, and have never gotten any notifications on the phone, only ever the iPad. If it were the other way around I would be fine. I have no idea how to start getting notifications to the phone, I have tried looking everywhere for settings.

So far I've only had one notification since getting the update, and it didn't go to the phone.

Will this update fix the problem I've been having of my ios6 iPad getting notifications but my ios8 iPhone not getting them? I set up ovms on the iPad first, then got the phone later, and have never gotten any notifications on the phone, only ever the iPad. If it were the other way around I would be fine. I have no idea how to start getting notifications to the phone, I have tried looking everywhere for settings.

So far I've only had one notification since getting the update, and it didn't go to the phone.

Check MODULE? From your registered phone via SMS.

Notifications need to say IP to get it

The beta sends the response (if it's set to IP) to your app in 8.1. I run 6 on an iPod Touch and that's been working too.

Check thread for syntax on setting notifications (I have to search and don't remember off the top of my head)

v1.6.6 is out in the App store now. It should solve iOS v8.4+ notification subscription problems.

Those on the beta test version probably won't get auto-updated to this version. Just search OVMS in the store, and hit 'Get' to download latest version.

Well I didn't change anything, updated the app a few days ago and wasn't getting notifications, and all of a sudden today I got a notification on my phone. Yaaaaaaaayyy! Really excited for this since I leave to Europe soon so it will be nice to have my car let me know if anything strange happens. Thanks for whatever you did in the update to make it work!

Thanks everyone for the hard work on this system. I was using another system and was plagued with issues. I am just starting out with OVMS but am very impressed so far.

I am very grateful!

I have been using my OVMS for a year now, and have just run into an issue.

At home the car is set to charge in standard mode at 11.35 pm and works very well.

Today I needed to Range charge the car. When it had finished charging last night I sent the texts:

CHARGEMODE RANGE
CHARGESTART

Both commands were responded to positively.

A STAT a few moments later shows that Range charging has not actually happened:
05:20:26
Range - Charging Done
SOC: 85%
Ideal Range: 210 mi
Est. Range: 167 mi
ODO: 12,328.3 mi
CAC: 155.66

Shouldn't it charge to 100% or at least nearer to it? Do I need to clear the location stored entry before the separate commands will work on a one-off basis?

Something seems to have happened to my OVMS box.

It was working fine on texts and on IP from the app.

For 2 days the app will not connect.

DIAG shows

DIAG:
RED Led:9
GRN Led:5
NET State:0x0042
12V Line:13.1 ref=11.5
Crashes:0

Looking in my manual, the red light only flashes up to 8 times. Is 9 a new condition?

The GRPS? response by the way is

GPRS:
APN:everywhere
User:eesecure
Password:secure
GSM:EE
GSM/GPRS: Not connected (0x0042)

Checking my account I have 500 MB of internet data left so it isn't that...

Anyone any thoughts please?

Hello Gents - I have purchased a Roadster 2.5 with an OVMS module. The former owner has "disconnected" himself from the system - I know I will need another SIM card because I'm in another country - it there any way to do a factory reset with these modules so I can, so to speak, start again?

Thanks,

Jonathan

Hello Gents - I have purchased a Roadster 2.5 with an OVMS module. The former owner has "disconnected" himself from the system - I know I will need another SIM card because I'm in another country - it there any way to do a factory reset with these modules so I can, so to speak, start again?

A few options:

1. Re-flash firmware. You'll need a PICKIT-2 or PICKIT-3 tool to do this.
  2. Hope he hasn't changed the default module password - put in a new SIM and sms 'REGISTER OVMS' to find out.
  3. Use a laptop and USB-to-serial converter, to get into SETUP/DIAG mode and reconfigure from there.

Thanks,

Jonathan
I would recommend you get a SIM fomr Hologram.io - it is great and low cost. You will also have to register with OVMS and set up the APP on your mobile phone. Mark told you what to do with the firmware. Tom Sax has created a great step-by-step instruction set to use to set it all up - I believe you can find this earlier in the thread....

Welcome to the Roadster Club - best car you will ever own, and most fun to drive.