Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

OVMS V2 module GPS not showing roadster location.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi... I have the OVMS V2 module installed in my 2010 Roadster for the past 4 years with no real problems. The past 4 months or so I find that it is not working (red flashing light) and I have to reboot it every couple of weeks to keep it working. Also for the past 4 months I do not get any GPS location information of where the car is. The Location screen on the ios app is just empty and light blue.

Info on module
Module V2
Firmware 2.6.5/TR/V2
GPRS info APN: phone, GSM:T-Mobile, GPRS: OK, Server: Connected OK.

Any hints or ideas... should/can I upgrade to V3 module to resolve this. I have also noticed that Tesla seems to have discontinued GPS support for the Roadster. Before Tesla services could down load my logs... now they are unable to do that remotely. Could that be the cause.
Thanks!

The v2 module gets the GPS data from the car on-board GPS. If that is not showing, then most likely the car GPS has an issue. You can usually see that as the car shows altitude and heading on the little VDS screen (which is derived from the same GPS source). GPS based charge settings would also stop working.

The v3 module Tesla Roadster uses the same GPS data from the car on-board GPS. With v3, however, you can also install a GPS antenna directly to the module and have the module read GPS from that.

Personally, I'd fix the GPS module in the car as the better solution. There is an intelligent GPS module in the front of the car. Tesla can fix it for you, or it is a medium-level DIY job.

Roadster data/GPS module, need help
VDS elevation reports N/A

Note that Tesla has discontinued GSM (not GPS) support for the roadster.