Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

OVMS v3.1 install

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
When you started this step, your computer WiFi was associated with the access point function of the OVMS. Like the blue box says, you may need to reconnect your computer to that access point if it did not happen automatically. Alternatively, you could change your computer to be associated with your home WiFi network, where OVMS should now also be associated as a client. Then you could access OVMS from your browser using http://xs-amps.local (if MDNS is working on your computer) or at the IP address that your home router assigned to OVMS (which you may be able to learn by accessing your router's admin pages).

thanks for the info. i'm pretty sure i reconnected to the module and that's where it continues to show the screenshot i posted above.

i saw an issue with someone with special character "." in their Vehicle ID. i wonder if the hyphen in mine causes a similar issue

now it's not loading 192.168.4.1 after i connect to the module's wifi

and the factory reset via SD Card doesn't look like it's working. not sure what happened :(
What sort of computing device are you using to connect to the module? If it's an Android phone, try turning off your cellular data, leaving only the WiFi enabled. It seems the phone's tiny brain can't figure out how to properly route packets, so you get connected but everything times out because the phone is trying to access it via the cell.

What sort of computing device are you using to connect to the module? If it's an Android phone, try turning off your cellular data, leaving only the WiFi enabled. It seems the phone's tiny brain can't figure out how to properly route packets, so you get connected but everything times out because the phone is trying to access it via the cell.

i was using Android, but am now on a Windows computer.

it was connected to 192.168.4.1
still can't do a factory reset
i selected "unmount" in SD Card and the connection dropped (still connected to module WiFi) and it won't connect to 192.168.4.1 again . . .

i factory reset the module logging into the console.

i think my issues were because i had an old firmware version that came on the module (3.1.008).

of course, clicking on "Firmware" in the web interface caused a timeout and numerous errors.
Screen Shot 2019-10-11 at 7.32.56 PM.png

also updating firmware via SD Card didn't seem to work, so finally updated OTA using the console interface again.

when i did the "module reset" command after the firmware update, the web interface resumed the Startup Wizard @ step 3 and it looks like everything is set up now!
Screen Shot 2019-10-11 at 8.24.35 PM.png

i'm just connected via Server V2. do i need to set up and connect to v3?

Last edited:
I'm having the same issue @drewski had with constant timeouts when attempting to perform an OTA update to v.3.2.008 via WiFi (v.3.1.006 factory build on the one I just picked up... thx @shrink). Is it normal for the system to bump you off the OVMS access point and attempt to connect to the user's home 2G WiFi access point during this process? If not, that's the issue I seem to be having. Perhaps I don't need the latest/greatest right now but I'd like to know I can take advantage of any updates in the future so I need to get this sorted out.

I've attempted to disable the modem as @markwj suggested earlier in this post but to no avail. Perhaps I'm not disabling the correct config setting?

Also, for some reason "Access point + Client" was selected as the Wifi mode in the Auto start configuration options. I went ahead and switched that to "Access point" only per the installation instructions but I'm still not getting any love. Additionally, the instructions mention the following:

"If you have configured this combination manually, the Wifi network will not start automatically. You need to log in using a USB terminal and either do a factory reset (see Module Factory Reset) or (better) issue enable to enter secure mode, then issue config set auto wifi.mode ap and reboot."

So I attempted a factory reset in the Shell terminal but when I try to execute the "module factory reset" command and acknowledge by typing "y", I get an "Unrecognised command" response. BTW, the .bin file I'm attempting to access here downloads swimmingly in seconds via a standard web connection but will not update via the OVMS Firmware page here. I could try the SIM card but I don't have an easy way to write to one so I'm leaving that as a last resort.

Please tell me this thing isn't bricked...

*UPDATE*

I'm now getting the following when attempting to Flash from web on the Firmware setup & update page:

"No internet access.

"The module is running in wifi AP mode without modem, so flashing from a public server is currently not possible.

"You can still flash from an AP network local IP address (192.168.4.x)."

FWIW, I'm connected via the OVMS access point and my WiFi client network should still be correct per the initial set up.

Last edited:
And... I just attempted a factory reset via Method 3: Switch S2 and the OVMS password on the case sticker is coming up as invalid :(

giphy.gif

*UPDATE*

I used the old default "OVMSinit" and it seems to have allowed me to connect. Okay, now back to attempting a fresh set up...

Last edited:
I'm now stuck in an endless loop of "Flashing..." the firmware on this URL:

http://192.168.4.1/#/cfg/init

The updater attempts to download the firmware from api.openvehicles.com to the ota_0 partition then times out and inexplicably refreshes the page and requires me to enter my credentials again. I don't have the ability to retry, try another server or skip the update. Even tried hard rebooting by pulling the USB but any attempt to revisit 192.168.4.1 redirects me immediately to the /cfg/init page and the process repeats o_O Running out of patience with this I'm afraid...
ovms-flashing.png

I think I may have sorted it out (or the unit sorted itself out :)). I took the advice @markwj gave another user here who was having issues with his modem connection and waited 24 hours to account for the possibility of the SIM being temporarily blacklisted. I just tried again and, voila... the setup finally worked as expected with the firmware updating accordingly and the system appearing to be up and running. Thx again to Mark as well as to @TonyWilliams and QCP for providing a Y-pigtail so we can run both JdeMO and OVMS off the same CAN comm port.

It looks like this is sold out on FASTECH. does anyone know if they're ever going to get back in stock or if there's another supplier?

There was a pre-xmas run on both EU and US kits, so all sold out. New stock coming mid-January. Fasttech will probably get it first (they are logistically closer), and EU about a week later.

If you are in a hurry, I have a handful of kits with me in Hong Kong. Message me if you want one of these.

Reactions: drewski
I think I may have sorted it out (or the unit sorted itself out :)). I took the advice @markwj gave another user here who was having issues with his modem connection and waited 24 hours to account for the possibility of the SIM being temporarily blacklisted. I just tried again and, voila... the setup finally worked as expected with the firmware updating accordingly and the system appearing to be up and running. Thx again to Mark as well as to @TonyWilliams and QCP for providing a Y-pigtail so we can run both JdeMO and OVMS off the same CAN comm port.

It is possible for the modem to blacklist the cellular connection for a time, if you power it up and try to connect to the network before the SIM is activated. That is part of the GSM standard. Best to activate first, before powering on the modem.

I have been travelling since the new year, so missed most of this. Glad you sorted it out.