Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

OVMS v3.1 install

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
There was a pre-xmas run on both EU and US kits, so all sold out. New stock coming mid-January. Fasttech will probably get it first (they are logistically closer), and EU about a week later.

If you are in a hurry, I have a handful of kits with me in Hong Kong. Message me if you want one of these.

Thank you for your offer I can wait as my car won't arrive till probably late late January or early February.

Just purchased OVMS. I feel overwhelmed. What do I need to do, in a simple and understandable format.

Also, my unit arrived without an antenna. Do I now need to purchase an antenna? If so, why doesn't the website prompt everyone to purchase all required items?

Thanks,

T

Last edited:
Just purchased OVMS. I feel overwhelmed. What do I need to do, in a simple and understandable format.

Also, my unit arrived without an antenna. Do I now need to purchase an antenna? If so, why doesn't the website prompt everyone to purchase all required items?

Thanks,

T

where did you order yours from? I ordered mine I think 3 weeks ago and still haven't received from fasttech.com; but I did order all the following just in case.

I ordered the gps antenna primarily for other family members with the app or if my vehicle is stolen I can see where my car is.

shows gps in not required but looks like gsm is - Vehicle Support | Open Vehicles

1. 9642829 OVMS v3 Kit w/ SIM5360 3G Modem Module (US Edition) 1
2. 9665972 OVMS Data Cable for Early Teslas 1
3. 1000500 OpenVehicles OVMS GSM Antenna 1
4. 1020200 Universal GPS Antenna (SMA Connector)

Last edited:
where did you order yours from? I ordered mine I think 3 weeks ago and still haven't received from fasttech.com; but I did order all the following just in case.

I ordered the gps antenna primarily for other family members with the app or if my vehicle is stolen I can see where my car is.

shows gps in not required but looks like gsm is - Vehicle Support | Open Vehicles

1. 9642829 OVMS v3 Kit w/ SIM5360 3G Modem Module (US Edition) 1
2. 9665972 OVMS Data Cable for Early Teslas 1
3. 1000500 OpenVehicles OVMS GSM Antenna 1
4. 1020200 Universal GPS Antenna (SMA Connector)

Ordered March 15.

Never bought either antenna

Thanks,

T

OVMS supports more than a dozen types of vehicles now, so too many combinations (including EU, US, and wifi variants) to list them all individually.

The guide for Tesla Roadster is here:

Tesla Roadster — Open Vehicles documentation

It lists the components required for that car (Tesla Roadsters need the module, GSM antenna, and car cable).

User guide is here:

User Guide — Open Vehicles documentation

You can buy an antenna locally in USA from Amazon. This one seems compatible:

https://www.amazon.com/Wlaniot-Omni-Directional-700-2600MHZ-Adhesive-Connector/dp/B07GNC8DHH

Regards, Mark.

Kind of off-topic to Tesla, but regarding OVMS shipments from China / Hong Kong: The situation with International mail in the past few weeks has been getting worse. Things that used to take a week are now stuck. Not surprising really, given the reduction in air traffic and backlog of shipments.

I switched to use couriers a couple of weeks ago, but what is surprising is that even couriers now seem affected. I thought they used cargo planes? I'm seeing some courier package tracking show 'leaving on flight XXX' then 'in distribution centre' then 'leaving on flight YYY', etc.

Amazon has the GSM antenna, and GPS antenna is not required. As I've previously offered here, if anyone needs pre-configuration I can arrange from Hong Kong. Shipment anywhere at this time is still going to be impacted, though.

Mark... Explain hologram simm please.

EDIT _ Does hologram work in USA?
Seems to work very well. Very low cost; just pay for the data, no monthly fee. I pitch them a few dollars every so often, and you can have them auto-fill to just make it disappear. Connectivity seems about what one would expect. There are areas in the hills that are in a shadow, but then my cell phone has trouble there too.

Reactions: hcsharp and TOBASH
In January of 2019 I prepaid $20 into my Hologram account. I just checked and my current balance is $19.73!

Do you have Auto-refill? I just looked and have ~$33 total charges from Nov 2019 - present.

not sure why, but the last 3 days have had a large increase in data use. same with sporadic days in February. otherwise it's just a trickle

My OVMS has gone rogue!! :confused:

It's gone crazy since 4/1. I've had 2 auto-refills ($10 each) in the last two days!
Screen Shot 2020-04-07 at 3.55.06 PM.png