Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

OVMS v3.1 install

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I had issues setting up the OVMS, until I downloaded the latest firmware and flashed it via SD Card.

for me, the firmware flashed from the factory was glitchy.

@TOBASH you can factory reset. i can't remember off the top of my head, but should be in the documentation you can find online. i'll see if I can find the process

Where mine is timing out is when I type in the URL address 192.168.4.1, according to the installation directions that is what you are suppose to do, well that doesn't work....................
Just to make sure: Is your computer still connected to your home WiFi network when you are trying address 192.168.4.1 but failing? If so, that's your problem. You have to change the WiFi connection on your computer to connect to the WiFi base station served by the OVMS module itself. That network name (or SSID) is "OVMS" and the password is "OVMSinit".

Then, at a later stage, the OVMS unit gets configured to connect to your home WiFi network and you switch your computer back to your home network as well.

• Informative
Reactions: drewski
Ok, checking what "access" is the issue. If you have an Android phone, and it's not accessing the module (or doing so intermittently), turn off your phone's Cellular Data access. Android phones don't know how to do basic IP routing, and will always shove data out to the cell network if the WiFi doesn't appear to be able to access the Internet. Turning off the Cell data path fixes that. (Don't forget to turn it back on when you're done!)

iPhone here BUT accessing OVMS with my HP desktop computer. iPhone was used only as backup WiFi when the OVMS refused to access my brand new home WiFi system

Just to make sure: Is your computer still connected to your home WiFi network when you are trying address 192.168.4.1 but failing? If so, that's your problem. You have to change the WiFi connection on your computer to connect to the WiFi base station served by the OVMS module itself. That network name (or SSID) is "OVMS" and the password is "OVMSinit".

Then, at a later stage, the OVMS unit gets configured to connect to your home WiFi network and you switch your computer back to your home network as well.

Okay, this is all above my pay grade. How do I get a WiFi connection on my computer to OVMS base station?

[EDIT - How do I set up the iPhone App? There are 4 lines to fill in... Vehicle ID, Vehicle Label, OVMS Server Password, and OVMS Module Password. I know the last 2 (the OVMS Passwords that I set up), but what is the Vehicle ID and what is the Vehicle Label????]

Re-set information ABSOLUTELY what I needed. Now unit is set-up and waiting to be placed in my Roadster.

Thanks one and all.

WiFi is tricky and cap sensitive and I'm not entirely sure why it finally accepted my Wifi, BUT once factory reset it then took a few tries until success. Updated firmware and seems to have activated the Hologram SIM chip.

Not entirely user friendly BUT with the help of this BB and links provided on Yahoo and the help from drewski, I have set the unit up.

Now I just need to install in the Roadster and set up the iPhone App. Looking forward to OVMS working, finally.

Best,

T

(P.S. - Now that I'm back on this BB, I have also re-joined as a supporting member, as of a couple of days ago. This site is invaluable.)

Last edited:
Well, I'm applying for college Continuing Medical Education points for about a gazillion hours to finally figure the unit out and get the App working... Now reads "live" in the iOS App.

Thanks one and all, including those who posted in 2019.

Tomorrow I will plug her into the vehicle to see how she does.

I have a SD chip but not sure if it is worth installing... Is there a general consensus?

Best,

T

Okay, this is all above my pay grade. How do I get a WiFi connection on my computer to OVMS base station?
I am assuming that your computer is a laptop and that you have at times in the past taken it to a coffee shop or airport or hotel and needed to connect to the WiFi network provided by that facility. The facility would tell you or have posted the name of the WiFi network (technically known as SSID). You use some icon or menu on your computer to see a list of the available WiFi networks and to select one, then the computer will connect to that network. Sometimes you need to enter a password, sometimes not.

It is the same concept in this case with the OVMS. In its initial condition from the factory or after a factory reset it will come up with the Wifi configured to act as its own network with the name/SSID being "OVMS" and the password being "OVMSinit". What's unusual here is that you may not be expecting a little box like the OVMS to have the ability to present its own network.

The reason for using this approach is that you need a way to enter a bunch of configuration parameters into OVMS before OVMS is able to connect to your home WiFi network. Having you switch your computer to be connected to the OVMS as the initial step is the easiest way to enter those configuration parameters with a reasonable user interface. Then once that initial step is done, the browser-based setup wizard switches OVMS to connect to your home network and you switch your computer back to be connected to your home network as well to complete the rest of the setup. Does that make sense?

• Helpful
Reactions: markwj
I am assuming that your computer is a laptop and that you have at times in the past taken it to a coffee shop or airport or hotel and needed to connect to the WiFi network provided by that facility. The facility would tell you or have posted the name of the WiFi network (technically known as SSID). You use some icon or menu on your computer to see a list of the available WiFi networks and to select one, then the computer will connect to that network. Sometimes you need to enter a password, sometimes not.

It is the same concept in this case with the OVMS. In its initial condition from the factory or after a factory reset it will come up with the Wifi configured to act as its own network with the name/SSID being "OVMS" and the password being "OVMSinit". What's unusual here is that you may not be expecting a little box like the OVMS to have the ability to present its own network.

The reason for using this approach is that you need a way to enter a bunch of configuration parameters into OVMS before OVMS is able to connect to your home WiFi network. Having you switch your computer to be connected to the OVMS as the initial step is the easiest way to enter those configuration parameters with a reasonable user interface. Then once that initial step is done, the browser-based setup wizard switches OVMS to connect to your home network and you switch your computer back to be connected to your home network as well to complete the rest of the setup. Does that make sense?

@slcasner I appreciate your taking the time to explain this system to me, but after spending way tooooooo much time trying to configure I have started a new thread on the forum to sell it.
Thanks for your help.
Andy

@slcasner I appreciate your taking the time to explain this system to me, but after spending way tooooooo much time trying to configure I have started a new thread on the forum to sell it.
Thanks for your help.
Andy

CAR3NUT, I didn't have OVMS, and my car's charge wire that I thought was connected to keep car in storage mode was not getting current.I was just lucky that I was working on my HMMWV and needed to move the Roadster and saw she was low in charge and immediately plugged her in. She charged right up, and is back at factory spec. I could have easily bricked the battery. Gruber was very helpful and we found that my data logs show zero damage.

Long story short, if I was running OVMS I would have been alerted to the issue before it became an issue, just like I am with my Tesla App on my Model X.

CAR3NUT, I didn't have OVMS, and my car's charge wire that I thought was connected to keep car in storage mode was not getting current.I was just lucky that I was working on my HMMWV and needed to move the Roadster and saw she was low in charge and immediately plugged her in. She charged right up, and is back at factory spec. I could have easily bricked the battery. Gruber was very helpful and we found that my data logs show zero damage.

Long story short, if I was running OVMS I would have been alerted to the issue before it became an issue, just like I am with my Tesla App on my Model X.

I keep my Roadster plugged in all the time using the 110V charger set at 12amps and it does just fine, about every other day it will sense it needs to charge and starts right up just like the manual said it should.

87E55DDF-5E7E-46B3-9C26-E330A05C7A55.jpeg
Installed and “live” and working properly. I don’t see tire pressures so I hope MarkJ gets a TPMS monitor and reprogramming device hardware ASAP.

I need to do a final install but it works. Starts and stops charging. Opens and locks doors. Monitoring battery charge. Alarms set for low charge. GPS functioning.

I need to decide the best place to place the unit where it won’t get kicked or damaged. I will run the antenna permanently to the rear window.

It’s been an adventure but now I guess I’ve arrived.

Thanks MarkJ and the OVMS team. Please create a TPMS programmer for the OVMS ASAP. Otherwise, happy to see the device functioning.

Best,

T

Last edited:
Reactions: markwj and drewski
Big Trouble for #992
I've been running the OVMSv2 ever since it was first launched with no real problem. 34 days ago I lost connection and can't get it back.
No worries....I have a OVMSv3 sitting in a box. I bought it a few years back and figured I would just try that one. Plugged it into my computer as suggested in the OVMS users guide and opened a webpage, plugged in the address(http://192.168.4.1/) in the instructions and ....... nothing. The message was "server not responding"......... got frustrated and sent a text to my old OVMSv2 to check parameters. Got IP:202.52.43.80 for the server but hen I queried "SERVER?" I got a "not connected" response........ any thoughts?
I would like to get OVMSv3 in car but can't seem to configure it.

You need to carefully read instructions. You cannot connect to 192.168.4.1 UNTIL you first plug the OVMS3 into power with a micro USB and then connect to the WiFi address OVMS. Then you need to program to your own Roadster name that you choose, and then reconnect to WiFi under the name you just chose for the Roadster.

Did you listen to and watch the OVMS video tutorial that is attached to this forum in several areas? It carefully explains AND demonstrates and clearly shows every step of the way.

Watch the video from 11 minutes on. Ignore the first 11 minutes of bloated discussion. It is the part after 11 minutes you should watch twice prior to attempting to set up your OVMS.

I thought OVMS2 was down due to no one supporting 2G SIM cards anymore.

Well its a great video. I got all the way up to 'Installing OVMS"..... went thru OVMS Network to generating the Module Network and I was trying to sign in to the box and it would not recognize the name and password of the module that I just created. Got thru the screen where my WiFi communicated to the Module WiFi but could not get back in..... go figure. Need a beer