Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

OVMS v3.1 install

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
You get kicked out when you make a name for your box. Then you need to sign back into WiFi using the new name you created. You then need to sign in username "admin" and whatever password you created. If that does not work you need to reset the box to factory reset. I chose to open the box and plug it back in, wait 20 seconds and then press a certain button for 10 seconds. Then start again from OVMS WiFi; admin....OVMSinit

Ok got it up and running after much knashing of teeth and loud expletives?
Still figuring it out. Had most trouble with hologram getting SIM recognized an AN something recognized by the holo dash. I had to deactivate my old SIM from version 2. worked OK then but puzzling because it shouldn’t have been a problem. No text messages I see but messaging within the APP ...... that’s cool.

Reactions: TOBASH
On the computer website there is a window called server..... it says:
“OVSM V2 login successful, and crypto channel established.
OVMS V3 server has not been started. “
It appears that there are start and stop buttons for V3 and V2 available. Should V3 be activated?

It appears that there are start and stop buttons for V3 and V2 available. Should V3 be activated?

AFAIK, Not yet. Server V3 is still under development and is not essential to use the OVMS (yet)

In case there might be some confusion about multiple meanings of "V2" and "V3", on the screen you reference these numbers are referring to the version of the protocol exchanged between the OVMSv3 hardware and the server (api.openvehicles.com). The server v2 protocol is essentially the same as what the OVMSv1 and OVMSv2 hardware boxes exchanged with the server. The OVMSv3 hardware has started out using the same protocol as a means to get the same functionality up and running. The server v3 is a new protocol that will provide more functionality and easier extensibility, but it's currently at more of an experimental status.

• Helpful
  • Informative
Reactions: markwj and drewski
I see that you're also in AZ. Gruber Motor Company is in Phoenix. If you're having issues with installation I would ask them to help you. My car is there now getting some other things done.

Back online after easter hiatus. Thanks for everyone here for pitching in to help the new users.

I should re-iterate the warning at the start of the user guide:

OVMS is a hobbyist project, not a commercial product. It was designed by enthusiasts for enthusiasts. Installation and use of this module requires some technical knowledge, and if you don’t have that we recommend you contact other users in your area to ask for assistance.

If you are not very comfortable with computers, wifi networks, etc, the best options are:
  1. If you are close, you can contact either Gruber or Medlock - they both have experience installing this.
  2. Find another user in your area to help (ask here).
  3. Contact me for pre-configuration, before you buy. I can get the needed settings from you, and then pre-configure and test the module before sending it to you. I've done that for several users here, and it is painless. The virus has slowed down shipping Asia -> US, but it is still relatively fast at 7 to 14 days for the courier I use (pre-virus it was 5 to 7 days).
The other warning is that most things nowadays are case sensitive, and need to be entered 100% correctly. In particular, things like usernames, wifi credentials, passwords, etc. About 90% of the setup issues I support are something entered incorrectly.

Regards, Mark.

Thank you for all your help. I was successful with the install. The unit is up and cunning like a Swiss watch. I am very sad to deactivate my version 2 because it was so amazing. Version 3 seems very interesting and I look forward to any expanded functionalities.
I do miss the constant text reminders version 2 would send me however......not a complaint.......just a statement.
Thank you Markwj and team for all you efforts.

Reactions: drewski
I just installed this a week ago, mostly thanks to the OVMS website, Mark's YouTube video, and tons of help from @arijaycomet. Regarding the app, you'll hit the Settings tab. Then, you'll need to enter both the passwords for the server and for your vehicle's account. I somehow got them right on first try, but it seemed confusing. From there, it should show "Live" on the main vehicle screen in the app.

I tested mine by leaving the house and making sure that the hologram SIM was working. It did require restarting the app a couple of times after activating the SIM.

Where did you buy your OVMS, Thomas? Or did you build it yourself?

success; managed to get through with no errors pretty simple. step 5 couldn't connect to modem but I read you can disable it just to finalize the ovms.

Edit: so I think this is common with step 5; I connected to the ovms through wifi once hooked up in the car and managed to enable modem and now it worked.

Network Registration: RegisteredRoaming Provider: Signal: -83 dBm State: NetMode PPP: Connected on channel: #2

Set everything up in less than 30 minutes.

Last edited:
Thanks! Will need to take a couple weeks off just to read documentation and the rest of this thread. Need to figure out where to put the unit.

Any idea if the car's existing GPS can be split to work with both the Roadster's computer and the OVMS, or does one need a second GPS unit dedicated to the OVMS?

no need to split; the ovms reads the roadsters default gps through the diagnostic port. you just need the GSM antenna and the roadster ovms diagnostic port connection wire.

Last edited:
Reactions: IslandRoadster
Is it possible to upgrade the gui flow of the cars gps on the map? Seems like it updates very slowly or state of motion of car refreshes the cars position every 10-15 seconds which the gui motion seems can be improved on if the gps data is being sent to the servers instantly. Just better motion flow of the cars live gps location like the official tesla app; is this possible to update or make flow better?

or even have the ability to send command prompts through the app without having to login wifi to ovms to get to shell; could set with a password to execute commands; not sure if this is a security issue if enabled. If you can already do this through messaging screen ignore my request.

Is it possible to upgrade the gui flow of the cars gps on the map? Seems like it updates very slowly or state of motion of car refreshes the cars position every 10-15 seconds which the gui motion seems can be improved on if the gps data is being sent to the servers instantly. Just better motion flow of the cars live gps location like the official tesla app; is this possible to update or make flow better?

Try:

config set vehicle stream 1

That will enable the position streaming function, when an App is connected. It will use more bandwidth and data.

• Informative
Reactions: drewski
I have never gotten my hologram sim working. I went through the setup on the module and it looks ok except I never had it read the sim#. I entered the sim# manually in hologram when I set up my acct. I have a hologram acct with $20 in it and there is a device listed in my account and it says ready. There has never been any activity according to hologram. Where should I start looking to determine the problem?

Reactions: Retiredeh
I have never gotten my hologram sim working. I went through the setup on the module and it looks ok except I never had it read the sim#. I entered the sim# manually in hologram when I set up my acct. I have a hologram acct with $20 in it and there is a device listed in my account and it says ready. There has never been any activity according to hologram. Where should I start looking to determine the problem?
It's been awhile since I set mine up...actually it was a fellow roadster owner in So Cal (Mike) that did all of the work. But go back to page 1 and read the first several (if not all comments) I think folks encountered the same issue and eventually got it to work.

I opened my module and checked that the SIM card and board were properly seated. I don’t see anything obvious. This seems to say that I’m not registered. I visited my Hologram acct and it says all is in order and the sim is ready. I tried reactivating the sim after double checking the number and Hologram complained saying the card was already activated. I use Consumer Cellular for my service but they just buy slots from AT&T which works fine here. Obviously I don’t know what I’m doing and have missed something.

ECB718EA-BB86-4916-A9B5-701246349F62.png