Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

OVMS v3.1 install

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi,
I recently purchased the OVMS unit and don't know how to get it working. I've spent most of the day reading through OVMS install thread (about 30+ pages most info/discussion way over my head), youtube, downloaded the iPhone OVMS App, etc, and can't find any simple explanations. any advice?

The best reference is here:

User Guide — Open Vehicles documentation

There is also a Tesla Roadster specific guide (for the hardware installation part) here:

Tesla Roadster — Open Vehicles documentation

v3.1 is setup over wifi (from a phone/tablet/pc) and should be relatively straightforward (certainly simpler than v2.x). The "Installation" section of the above referenced manual should guide you through it. You can just plug the OVMS USB port into your laptop and do it from the comfort of your own home - then when all setup, go down and physically install it in the car.

91A1B503-0980-4E2D-A712-E937D759B92E.png
BB2A20AA-704E-4E01-A323-E4B6AA994C25.jpeg

Attachments

• 45F0680E-599B-49D8-997A-19645A5808CB.png
    45F0680E-599B-49D8-997A-19645A5808CB.png
    225.9 KB · Views: 66
I just installed this a week ago, mostly thanks to the OVMS website, Mark's YouTube video, and tons of help from @arijaycomet. Regarding the app, you'll hit the Settings tab. Then, you'll need to enter both the passwords for the server and for your vehicle's account. I somehow got them right on first try, but it seemed confusing. From there, it should show "Live" on the main vehicle screen in the app.

I tested mine by leaving the house and making sure that the hologram SIM was working. It did require restarting the app a couple of times after activating the SIM.

Okay, I think I got it setup. How do I get the app to work? I completed the hologram part too.

Settings tab, NEW, then enter the vehicle ID (same vehicle ID as you entered on the module itself), vehicle label (free text, whatever you want to call it), OVMS Server Password (the server v2 password you entered on the vehicle module), and OVMS Module Password (the module password if you are using paranoid mode, which you aren't, so just put OVMS).

I just installed this a week ago, mostly thanks to the OVMS website, Mark's YouTube video, and tons of help from @arijaycomet. Regarding the app, you'll hit the Settings tab. Then, you'll need to enter both the passwords for the server and for your vehicle's account. I somehow got them right on first try, but it seemed confusing. From there, it should show "Live" on the main vehicle screen in the app.

I tested mine by leaving the house and making sure that the hologram SIM was working. It did require restarting the app a couple of times after activating the SIM.

I think my SIM is activated. Is there a way to make sure?

View attachment 442172
Do I have the correct OVMS server circled above?
I had to hire an IT guy come to my home and after 90 mins the iPhone app still wouldn’t work. He now has the OVMS module at his shop and will work on it tonight.

Just saw this thread. Let me know if you're still having problems. I just ordered my hardware from fasttech so I've been reading up. I work in IT also and I'm sure I can help you get everything working if you're still stuck. I'm in OC too so you're not far away.

Reactions: markwj and Bunnak
Thankyou for asking all the questions before I do. Mines sitting in a box and I keep meaning to put it in the car along with running my wires for my dashcam so it’s nice and neat. I kinda hoped it was plug and play, and I think it is if you get it right the first time and don’t end up chasing your own tail. I think a lot of the time the person explaining actually understands what they are saying, but the person trying to understand feels like it’s just the same words they don’t understand in a different order. Well that’s what it feels like to me.

Thanks @m1k3 ! The IT guy still hasn’t gotten back to me. I’ll follow up on Monday and keep you posted. He promised sooner so I’m assuming he’s still having problems getting the app to work. I’ll keep you posted.

Right on. If he hasn't gotten it working by Monday, just get it back from him if you're sick of waiting. Mine is in transit so I'll probably have it this week and have a chance to go through the install. If not, then helping to troubleshoot yours would familiarize myself with the process so I know what to expect during my install.

Hi everyone,

Hate to add more questions to the mix but I've got a couple....

First, OVMS is awesome -- big thanks to everyone who has worked to develop and optimize it!! I configured things today generally successfully. It is in the car and I can use the iPhone app to see and control the car. Here are a couple of questions:

1) I don't think the modem is working. During setup, I never got any indication that the modem works and when I check the "Settings" page the modem state is always "PoweringOn". There are events showing up in the "Live" window every 20 seconds or so that just say the same thing "system.modem.poweringon." Finally, when I look at the metrics list the m.net.mdm.iccid and m.net.mdm.model have always been blank. I have not yet put the iccid into hologram because I don't yet know what it is. Any advice? Strangely in the app when I look at the vehicle info I do see "GSM bars" as if it has a GSM signal.

2) I can access the car's status from the iPhone app or from logging into the OVMS access point from my laptop. Am I missing anything? Can I see the car status on openvehicles.com or some other website? Can I configure it to send my cell phone SMS messages?

Thanks again!
Paul

Hi everyone,

First, OVMS is awesome -- big thanks to everyone who has worked to develop and optimize it!! I configured things today generally successfully. It is in the car and I can use the iPhone app to see and control the car. Here are a couple of questions:

1) I don't think the modem is working. During setup, I never got any indication that the modem works and when I check the "Settings" page the modem state is always "PoweringOn". There are events showing up in the "Live" window every 20 seconds or so that just say the same thing "system.modem.poweringon." Finally, when I look at the metrics list the m.net.mdm.iccid and m.net.mdm.model have always been blank. I have not yet put the iccid into hologram because I don't yet know what it is. Any advice? Strangely in the app when I look at the vehicle info I do see "GSM bars" as if it has a GSM signal.

2) I can access the car's status from the iPhone app or from logging into the OVMS access point from my laptop. Am I missing anything? Can I see the car status on openvehicles.com or some other website? Can I configure it to send my cell phone SMS messages?

Thanks again!
Paul

Have you tried reseating the modem module on the base board? That error certainly does sound like the base board is having trouble communicating with the modem module.

I haven't actually laid hands on one of these yet. I should be heading over to Bunnak's place tonight and if so I can verify what the status on his says.

If you want to do a super low tech lazy test to verify cell connectivity, you could just unplug your access point in your house for a few minutes and see if you're still able to communicate when the module no longer has wifi.

Hi everyone,

Regarding the modem, are you sure your module has a modem (ie; you got the US kit, not just the base wifi module)? If so, are you powering it from a laptop USB port? Sometimes those ports don't provide enough power for the modem and you need to either use a powered hub, or plug it into the car itself.

The car's status can be accessed either via browser and wifi in the car, or remotely via the App. We also have an API, but most people use the App.

Regards, Mark.

I keep hearing great things about the OVMS, but it is a little intimidating. Once I get the bits from fastech, and reread everything from open vehicles site, I probably would still want someone who has done it before to hold my hand....but I have to echo the comments above the folks in this community who contributed to this effort are amazing.