Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Ovo UK - New EV Charge tariff

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
For those using OVO for energy they've released a new EV 'add on' tariff (more of a use then credit product)

Info 👉 Introducing Anytime | OVO Energy

Works out @ 10pkWh for charging of the car (car charging only) and usual standard rate 34pkWh all other times
Pretty much all my charging is at home so should cut my costs by 70% đź‘Ś

I don't think they're letting everyone on it straight away, I was lucky and was accepted. I've no idea what the criteria is to get straight on it - maybe someone else can enlighten?

Fascinated to understand how they differentiate the car charging from everything else...
A bit curious about where they are getting cheap car electricity from that is cheaper than normal electricity. Does the government make their dye the electricity so it's not misused in a washing machine or something? ;)

I really hope Octopus don’t go down this route…

Octopus is clear that the reduced price (for IO) is valid to all consumption within the reduced Tariff hours. Also keep in mind that Octopus is more expensive daytime (to compensate for this) where OVO is cheaper only for car but keeps the capped price for the remaining of the day.

I think it is good to see some providers mobilising slowly in EV tariffs and hopefully when we are out from this energy mess we'll see some healthy competition.

It appears to be the same set up as the eon next tariff I was on before it ended and moved to Octopus. They monitor via an app how much you have charged the car then give you a credit on your bill relating to that amount. Eon next used the ev.energy app whereas this looks like the Kaluza app.

Reactions: AndyWarrington
If it is the same as the eon next one then you are only credited for the exact kWh added but due to the inefficiencies in charging with AC it actually takes a little more than that to achieve. That little extra which I found was about 1-2kWh a charge is full rate.

As Octopus is just off peak for everything used at that time it will always work out slightly cheaper unless your a particulary heavy user during the peak window . I only used eon next at the time as my meter wouldn’t work with octopus until late last year.

Thanks @AndyWarrington for bringing this new tariff to my attention.

Have only had my Model 3 for just over a month and have been doing the maths to see if it was worthwhile me changing from my existing supplier (Shell) to one of the Octopus EV tariffs.

As it stands, my usage is such that it’s more cost-effective for me to stay on the capped Shell tariff - the cheap overnight Octopus rates don’t compensate for the fact that the peak daytime rate is more expensive. However, this OVO tariff at first glance is better for me as the daytime rate is similar to what I pay at present, whereas the EV charging element is significantly cheaper.

Thanks @AndyWarrington for bringing this new tariff to my attention.

Have only had my Model 3 for just over a month and have been doing the maths to see if it was worthwhile me changing from my existing supplier (Shell) to one of the Octopus EV tariffs.

As it stands, my usage is such that it’s more cost-effective for me to stay on the capped Shell tariff - the cheap overnight Octopus rates don’t compensate for the fact that the peak daytime rate is more expensive. However, this OVO tariff at first glance is better for me as the daytime rate is similar to what I pay at present, whereas the EV charging element is significantly cheaper.
No probs, seems like your scenario is similar to mine - I don't use enough/what we do use we can't offset to night time off peak tariffs so pointless paying the extra during the day.

This will help bring the cost of charging the car down significantly though

I guess it could help some, but for sure not all - as usual, it depends on circumstances đź‘Ť

Reactions: CWT3LR
Although the peak rate being 6p cheaper might offset some of that
Historically Octopus set the day rate for IO and go at a similar rate to other tariffs i.e. the night rate was a genuine discount and not something that had to be set against a higher day rate like the old economy 7 tariffs did. TBH I think they may still be doing this its just that the other day rates are now subsidised by Govt. My point is with energy prices starting to fall I am hopeful that the IO/Go day rates will also start to fall back in line with the flat rate prices. Well either that or the govt will pull the subsidy and we get parity that way.
The fact that Ovo can afford to do an EV discounted night rate without a higher day rate either speaks to this or Octopus are now coining it in.