TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

Owl dash cam

Discussion in 'Model 3' started by C141medic, Feb 1, 2018.

1. C141medic

C141medic Active Member

2. rexorz

rexorz Member

I think the Model 3 doesn't have an OBD connector to power the unit.

3. ölbrenner

ölbrenner Member

If the OWL only requires OBD2 for power, should be easy enough to make a 12V to OBD2 adapter.

OWL lost me at $10/month though.

• Like x 1
  4. C141medic

C141medic Active Member

I hate monthly fees as well. I believe; however, the fees are only if you want the videos uploaded to the cloud via 4G/LTE and the ability to view them when away from the vehicle. Similar to the Waylens 360 but I’m not sure if that’s available yet.

5. BerTX

BerTX Supporting Member

What kills it for me is "iPhone only".

• Like x 1
  6. Graffi

Graffi Member

I looked at this yesterday and did a lot more research today. The Waylens 360 is not yet available. This one may be better, not sure.

The $10 per month is for the "Phone" service with AT&T. It lets you get notification on your phone if anything is happening with your car, or to just view the real-time video, forward and reverse.

I know that it will work with the Model S, not sure about the Model 3.

Also requires iPhone system 11. My iPhone 5 has 10.3.3, my wife has the iPhone 8 with 11.

It is easy to install, and relocate to a different vehicle if needed.

We are thinking of going ahead an getting it, but may wait for the Waylens 360.

7. BerTX

BerTX Supporting Member

I looked at the Waylens 360. Looks interesting, but is it even possible to cover 360 degrees from inside the car? I know I can't see well enough to back up very well by looking in the rear view mirror. Isn't that the perspective the camera would have? Interesting that they have no sample videos and few shots from the camera?