Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Owned a Model Y LRAWD VIN 27xx and now a VIN62xxx--Night and Day.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I recently completed a Tesla buyback on a Model Y early production and took delivery of a new Y this week.
I must say, in my experience, Tesla and their team were absolute professionals, provided prompt communication, respectful and hands down the best customer service Ive ever encountered. This site is full of comments reflecting the dark side but I can't say enough positive comments.

My initial build was a white and black interior LRAWD. From the beginning I had numerous panel gaps, maligned rear hatch, mismatched and missing paint, seat issues, the front bumper paint peeled off with my finger, a consistent pulsing high pitched whine from the front motors(performance 980) and an A/C that didn't work the entire summer until a super manifold was finally replaced. The car was noisy, stiff, rattled, and never actually smelled like a new car for some reason. The car was in service over 38+ days and the service centers did their best to fix everything. Truthfully, I picked the car up right at the first wave of COVID and we were all trying not to die. Im surprised that they were even able to put together a car at this time in March so Im probably a bit more forgiving. Additionally, working in healthcare, I realize that these are first world problems and honestly Ive enjoyed the distraction from my daily reality.

I now have a black LRAWD with white interior. The car is flawless. Ive obsessed over so many things and read this website enough that I can rattle you off the entire list of potential issues. These have all been corrected. I did switch from the 20 inductions to the 19s Gemini and I realize that it accounts for some of the improved ride quality and noise levels. However, the extent of improvement seems too drastic for just the wheels alone. Maybe someone was taking notes on the Sandy Munro Youtube breakdowns of the early Y.

I missed on the new front windows(not a deal breaker). Regardless this Y is now what I had expected from Tesla. I wouldn't hesitate at this point to pull the trigger on a purchase if you are on the fence. LR with performance boost in my opinion is the sweet spot.

Good luck with your new MY. There was a recent thread on Reddit /r/teslamodely/ indicating that according to one SC MY owners will soon be able to order replacement laminated windows for their vehicles. The information is scant; it is not clear if this replacement option is for 2 or all 4 side windows. The price for the window replacement, including labor, is ~$1,379 or thereabouts. I am interested in a comparison by someone who has driven the MY with the original tempered glass and now with the new laminated glass side windows to learn if there is a noticeable reduction in wind and road noise with the laminated windows.

Laminated glasses retrofit will cost $1379

Last edited:
My sentiments echo your observations. Based on overwatching YouTube videos and over-reading forum postings, I was expecting a car with 1980's GM build quality and manufacturing. When picking up my Model Y (VIN 62xxx), I was pleasantly surprised when I didn't have to reject the delivery or entertain returning the car (my pickup date was the date Tesla rescinded their 7-day return policy), with build quality that appears to be on-par with any other automaker. The car has no squeaks nor rattles, with the only flaws being some dried glue residue on the carpet of my cargo area and a slightly misaligned front passenger door (which I did not think is worth fixing; besides, I was concerned that they would rely on Bondo and a sledgehammer, like a body shop).

I give Tesla credit for listening to their critics and making improvements faster than any other major corporation (even though this also meant that I too missed out on the laminated front windows).

Good luck with your new MY. There was a recent thread on Reddit /r/teslamodely/ indicating that according to one SC MY owners will soon be able to order replacement laminated windows for their vehicles. The information is scant; it is not clear if this replacement option is for 2 or all 4 side windows. The price for the window replacement, including labor, is ~$1,379 or thereabouts. I am interested in a comparison by someone who has driven the MY with the original tempered glass and now with the new laminated glass side windows to learn if there is a noticeable reduction in wind and road noise with the laminated windows.

Laminated glasses retrofit will cost $1379
I think only the front windows as the two rear ones need to be more easily broken into for emergency. Laminated glass is virtually impossible to break. Firefighters need to use special saw to cut it.

I recently completed a Tesla buyback on a Model Y early production and took delivery of a new Y this week.
I must say, in my experience, Tesla and their team were absolute professionals, provided prompt communication, respectful and hands down the best customer service Ive ever encountered. This site is full of comments reflecting the dark side but I can't say enough positive comments.

My initial build was a white and black interior LRAWD. From the beginning I had numerous panel gaps, maligned rear hatch, mismatched and missing paint, seat issues, the front bumper paint peeled off with my finger, a consistent pulsing high pitched whine from the front motors(performance 980) and an A/C that didn't work the entire summer until a super manifold was finally replaced. The car was noisy, stiff, rattled, and never actually smelled like a new car for some reason. The car was in service over 38+ days and the service centers did their best to fix everything. Truthfully, I picked the car up right at the first wave of COVID and we were all trying not to die. Im surprised that they were even able to put together a car at this time in March so Im probably a bit more forgiving. Additionally, working in healthcare, I realize that these are first world problems and honestly Ive enjoyed the distraction from my daily reality.

I now have a black LRAWD with white interior. The car is flawless. Ive obsessed over so many things and read this website enough that I can rattle you off the entire list of potential issues. These have all been corrected. I did switch from the 20 inductions to the 19s Gemini and I realize that it accounts for some of the improved ride quality and noise levels. However, the extent of improvement seems too drastic for just the wheels alone. Maybe someone was taking notes on the Sandy Munro Youtube breakdowns of the early Y.

I missed on the new front windows(not a deal breaker). Regardless this Y is now what I had expected from Tesla. I wouldn't hesitate at this point to pull the trigger on a purchase if you are on the fence. LR with performance boost in my opinion is the sweet spot.

Great to hear! I’m picking up my replacement Y in a week or so.

I think only the front windows as the two rear ones need to be more easily broken into for emergency. Laminated glass is virtually impossible to break. Firefighters need to use special saw to cut it.
I keep a small spring loaded auto glass break tool that can also cut a seat belt in an emergency inside the center console of my MY. I start to feel a bit claustrophobic when I am in a vehicle with electronic door release buttons. I know there is an emergency release lever, I just like to have multiple options for exiting the vehicle or freeing someone trapped inside another vehicle.

For the buy back process, did Tesla agree to it willingly, or did it have to go to lawyers? I had my bolt in the shop for over 30 days, and chevy couldn’t have cared less. Had to sue them for the lemon law.

Tesla was very accommodating and willing to proceed with the buyback. The vehicle had already easily qualified for the lemon law based on the state guidelines as outlined in the ordering agreement. I think its easier and in the best interest of Tesla to buyback and then gives them the opportunity to repair and provide for resale if possible.

Great to hear your positive experience or result and Tesla did the right thing. Congrats!

Regarding your passenger door alignment, mine had the front part of the door recessed a couple of mm where it met the front quarter panel (under the side view mirror). The SC easily fixed it. If yours is this issue or similar, I wouldn’t worry they’ll mess it up. The SA explained to me that the bolt hole in the door hinge is oval shaped to allow some room to adjust and align the fit of the door so all their master tech had to do was loosen it, align the door, and tighten the bolt.

Reactions: angus[Y]oung
Thanks for sharing.

We rejected VIN 25225 on 01 August 2020. After waiting a few weeks to re-match, we decided to wait longer and asked not to be matched until 01/01/2021. The VIN spreadsheet shows Tesla is in the 68,XXX VIN's now so 70's are coming soon. I don't think we'll quite be in the 100,000 VIN by January but I am glad to hear a first hand account of such a change from a July build to an October build, that's only 3 months!

In that case I'd opt for not replacing the front windows. I want to be able to break the side windows in case of emergency. In fact, I carry the window break tool in my car so that I can break the window if my car fall into water, etc.

Reactions: Adkrenew