Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Owner-bricked batteries?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I was just talking to my tires guy and he told me about a Roadster who bricked his battery recently in Florida.

I am curious... how many cases of owner-bricking are there? I know of only one (the warehouse where the owner left the car uncharged for months in a metal building where it could not communicate out.)

When I was in Menlo Park a year back there was another guy who left his sitting for 3 months off the charger, bricked it. I believe the one picked recently by a TMC member had a case of the bricked blues.

I can see the 1.5's being the larger sample since the 2.x's Tesla implemented the phone home feature where the Roadster would notify Tesla when the SOC was in a low state where it could fall into a potential failed state. If the contact information wasn't updated then there's no way for Tesla to contact the original or new owner.

I know of someone who bricked his battery on a 2.x by leaving it in a steel barn for six months. He plugged it in but forgot to push the little slide forwards so it didn't charge. Being in a steel barn it couldn't "call home".

He plugged it in but forgot to push the little slide forwards so it didn't charge.

I've been in that situation before, waking up to head off for a commute and found my range was stagnet, and like vfx said, "doh"! ...then scrambling to get a few more miles in the pack! Sure every Roadster owner has done this at least once.

Being in a steel barn it couldn't "call home".

Sounds a little bit like a prisoner of war, poor Roadster.

As I've mentioned the 25 that I'm buying has a bricked battery (dead as a doorknob) as the attendant at the garage where the car is always parked forgot to charge it for 2 months!!!!!!

How can anyone not give this car some love for 2 months... heck 6 months!? I can't be away from my Roadster for more than a day. I do feel its a mutual relationship with mine :)

I wonder if Roadster batteries have come down at all in price. I bought a bricked Roadster and ended up buying a new pack at a very costly sum- but this was over a year ago. I wonder if the price of Roadster packs have come down significantly from that point? One would think that the pack prices are in the 3-400 per kwh price point vs the ~$800/kwh I paid last year.

I wonder if Roadster batteries have come down at all in price. I bought a bricked Roadster and ended up buying a new pack at a very costly sum- but this was over a year ago. I wonder if the price of Roadster packs have come down significantly from that point? One would think that the pack prices are in the 3-400 per kwh price point vs the ~$800/kwh I paid last year.

I'm very curious about that as well. I'm also wondering if there's a refurbish house, like how the RAV4 EV packs can be sent out, who'll independently replace the batteries in the sheets that're bad.

I'm still surprised nobody's has down this path yet... Possibly someone looking for a pack replacement can start calling the RAV4 EV battery houses... Unless there's something very special about each Tesla battery cell that can't be reversed engineered I do believe this can be done.

I'm very curious about that as well. I'm also wondering if there's a refurbish house, like how the RAV4 EV packs can be sent out, who'll independently replace the batteries in the sheets that're bad.

I'm still surprised nobody's has down this path yet... Possibly someone looking for a pack replacement can start calling the RAV4 EV battery houses... Unless there's something very special about each Tesla battery cell that can't be reversed engineered I do believe this can be done.

I think that people have been down this path before it is just that no one really has broadcasted anything with regards to pricing. I have a hunch that pricing on Roadster packs have not come down at all and are still in the $7-800/kwh range for owner induced bricking. Tesla probably offers these owners a "deal" on a Model S/PO Roadster and takes inventory of the "bricked" Roadster. I have no real information other than rumor to corroborate this as fact.

Since the cars are out of production, there is zero incentive to get the pack cost down. Indeed, anything Tesla does for Roadster is inherently low-volume, and they're not in that game anymore.

I am not so sure if it is about getting the cost down rather than replacing the pack at Tesla's cost and then offering that car with a markup and warranty. For example, say an owner comes into the service center with a bricked Roadster and Tesla quotes them 40k to replace it. The owner balks. Tesla then offers them a deal where they can get a P85 for 70k with trade in of the bricked vehicle. Tesla's battery replacement cost is probably in the $10-15k range (if the investor presentation $/kwh are accurate). So basically they unloaded a Model S for a bit more than cost and also got a roadster. This plus the customer goodwill, is a win/win for everyone involved. The thing is that the 85kwh Model S battery has been quoted to be the same price (which would make it $500/kwh) so there is something going on with markup vs cost.

Since the cars are out of production, there is zero incentive to get the pack cost down. Indeed, anything Tesla does for Roadster is inherently low-volume, and they're not in that game anymore.

Since Elon said there might be Roadster thing coming soon, many are hoping it will be a battery pack option (or two). This would again prove the superiority of Teslas electric cars that they can get more range with battery improvements. This may up the sales in Model S'.

So then are they telling all Model S owners that after a mere 3 years their car is likely toast? Not sure that will do much for future sales.

On the other hand if they offer the battery pack as say half the initial cost say $16K then they can prove through actions that both battery costs are significantly declining, and older models will be fully supported. That I am certain WILL help future sales.

So then are they telling all Model S owners that after a mere 3 years their car is likely toast? Not sure that will do much for future sales.

No the Model S is the basis of their standard platform, and will very likely be produced for many years to come.

On the other hand if they offer the battery pack as say half the initial cost say $16K then they can prove through actions that both battery costs are significantly declining, and older models will be fully supported. That I am certain WILL help future sales.

Unfortunately I think that is wishful thinking. They'll price the replacement Roadster packs to make a profit. Hopefully the price will be kept down by refurbishing existing packs.