Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Owner experience regarding interior noises?

Does your Model 3 experience interior noises?

• Yes, all the time

Votes: 26 26.5%
  • Yes, sometimes

Votes: 39 39.8%
  • Yes, not very often

Votes: 18 18.4%
  • Never!

Votes: 15 15.3%

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I test drove two 2019 model 3s and they both seem to have various little creaks, rattles, and pops. The center console has a bit of cheap plastic, which seems to be an obvious offender.

The rest of the noises seem to be around the doors, dash, and back seats. Hitting bumps or chassis flex is an easy repro. But may be hard to track down. Outside mirrors on multiple random samples also rattle when closing driver door. More obvious with windows down. In either case, it just gave the car a really cheap feeling.

While on the subject, they have a lot of wind and road noise. One appeared to be loud enough that I'd say it was a misaligned door. The other didn't seem to have an obvious source. Just lots of wind noise... everywhere.

The sales rep noted the wind noise was pretty average from all that he's been in. Even ignoring ambient noises, would be curious to hear what others have noticed with regard to interior squeaks, rattles, pops, and their remediation...if at all.

Open discussion. ;)

The only real rattle I have is the passenger seatbelt rocks back and forth against the side of the passenger seat when the seatbelt isn't being used. At first I thought it came from the roof area, but finally figured out what was causing it.

Reactions: OUTAAMP
My 2019 has been one of the quietest cars I've had. Compared to my Honda Civic sI the Model 3 as far as wind noise goes is better. I think most people who are not use to the lack of engine/transmission noises which cover the typical wind and road noises so they are hearing them more. I know there were some issues early on with wind noise which they adjusted for since. Even at highway speed 60-70mph I don't find the wind noise to be excessive or anymore than I would have in my Honda.

A few days after taking delivering I am hearing 'popping' sounds from the left pillar/dash board area of the interior right after I power up the M3. Even in Park - I hear popping sound. I thought it was static from the speakers but I turn the audio down and I still hear the popping sound. Sometimes the random sound, sounds like water dripping on top of a car roof. I hear the sound also when I drive. Is this normal?

had our M3 for almost 6 months now, and havent really noticed much interior noises. In full disclosure, most of the time I am driving with music playing so I wouldnt hear it anyway. However, two times I was driving with music off I did notice something......because the car is SO QUIET, it is really easy to hear the slightest little noises.

1. Most recently driving with music off I was bothered by this little rattling sound coming from my right. After awhile it bothered me enough to stop and address it - It turned out to be the metal latch on my briefcase bouncing/vibrating, so that was a false alarm.

2. A few weeks ago driving in cold/wet conditions, I could hear a slight "squeaky wind noise" for lack of a better description. Sounded like one of the back windows was open just a hair, made sure the windows were all the way up, but it didnt go away. The noise eventually stopped when I got into warmer/drier conditions, so I assumed it was somehow triggered by atmospheric conditions.

Yea something is lightly rattling in the backseat and no clue what the heck it is. I honestly think its the kids booster seat though and its hitting something. I need to investigate more.

I am also disappointed at the wind noise on the driver window. it almost sounds as if my window is cracked just slightly open. Not sure what to do there.

Most modern ICE vehicles have very little noises from the drive train while cruising. In particular in the luxury segment. Model 3 clearly has a wind and road noise issue. Although for any noises in general, please do take your vehicle into a service center. Regardless of whether or not it's common.

Worse case, they do nothing. Then you get the issue documented and have a potential for escalation and visibility for future remediation. Best case, they can fix/improve it. Life improves.

Reactions: 3peat
A few days after taking delivering I am hearing 'popping' sounds from the left pillar/dash board area of the interior right after I power up the M3. Even in Park - I hear popping sound. I thought it was static from the speakers but I turn the audio down and I still hear the popping sound. Sometimes the random sound, sounds like water dripping on top of a car roof. I hear the sound also when I drive. Is this normal?

I had a similar sound. I think it was from the speaker in the pillar. Rebooting the car eliminated it.

Driver side seat belt module on the A pillar constantly rattles and is in perfect ear position. They have added padding, didn’t work then replace it. Replaced it with part they makes same rattle.

Random noises from the dash and center console rattle, especially on freeway.

It’s not ‘because it’s so quite’ I notice these. My interior is loud with road noise. Definitely feel like cheap build quality to me.

I had something similar and concluded that it was thermal expansion of the dash materials as the climate control kicked in. It happens on many mornings, cold ones I guess.

Reactions: Cypcode
The Model 3 is so poorly insulated from environmental noise that I can use the engine sound of the cars around me to identify where they are. It is definitely not because electric vehicles are quieter so you hear more of everything else. My previous C300 had engine cutoff when stopped and it was nearly silent inside.

It has been a few weeks now and the sound continues. The sound continues for about 30 seconds or 1 minute even after I exited the car and I can hear it next to the front left pillar and side mirror.
And when I start the car, the popping sound starts.
Very odd

The only real rattle I have is the passenger seatbelt rocks back and forth against the side of the passenger seat when the seatbelt isn't being used. At first I thought it came from the roof area, but finally figured out what was causing it.
Yup j. That was the only rattling I’ve had. Took me a while to locate it.