Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Owner experience regarding interior noises?

Does your Model 3 experience interior noises?

• Yes, all the time

Votes: 26 26.5%
  • Yes, sometimes

Votes: 39 39.8%
  • Yes, not very often

Votes: 18 18.4%
  • Never!

Votes: 15 15.3%

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I am experience wind noise over 50mph coming from the top of the right rear door seal. Also, a weird rattle/tick coming from the front left of the car at highway speeds. Sound like plastic rubbing on something almost like a nylon piece flapping in the wind.

I am experience wind noise over 50mph coming from the top of the right rear door seal. Also, a weird rattle/tick coming from the front left of the car at highway speeds. Sound like plastic rubbing on something almost like a nylon piece flapping in the wind.
I have the same sounds coming from the front left of my Model 3. It sounds like something flapping in the wind. Did you ever determine what it was?

We have an intermittent rattle from the left front dash under the black fabric piece. Other than that, the only interior noise is the occasional whine from me when the dash rattles.
I have the same exact driver-side dash rattle. Seems to be the plastic on or around the front speaker grill creaking. I had taken it to the SC for dash noise before and they had lined the bottom of the dash with felt but that didn't fix it. I'm picking it up today so we'll see if they're second attempt at fixing it worked or not.

FYI - I think i've seen this mentioned here before but during my ride-along, the SC tech told me that they only covered noises/rattles for the first 12k miles

I have an intermittent squeak from the console. It's usually just in the mornings when it's been a little cooler. It's not super annoying, certainly not enough to try to have someone take anything apart to try to find. I assume/hope it's something rubbing that will eventually rub away enough from one piece or the other to stop.

I have the same exact driver-side dash rattle. Seems to be the plastic on or around the front speaker grill creaking. I had taken it to the SC for dash noise before and they had lined the bottom of the dash with felt but that didn't fix it. I'm picking it up today so we'll see if they're second attempt at fixing it worked or not.

FYI - I think i've seen this mentioned here before but during my ride-along, the SC tech told me that they only covered noises/rattles for the first 12k miles
Good luck!

FYI - After reading some comments here about mileage limits on noises/rattles, I contacted Tesla. I was told noises/rattles are covered under the same terms as the factory warranty.

Good luck!

FYI - After reading some comments here about mileage limits on noises/rattles, I contacted Tesla. I was told noises/rattles are covered under the same terms as the factory warranty.
That’s good to hear - I was pretty surprised he said it and I had a feeling it was a situation where worst case you could convince someone to take a look at it with enough evidence regardless.

I picked up my car and it was squeaking and creaking even louder than before! Unfortunately, this sound is present nearly all the time for me and i literally can’t drive without the music on fairly loud without going crazy.

They said that they removed some part up front and put down sound-dampening material but it didn’t do a thing to make it better. I’m not sure what else to do.

That’s good to hear - I was pretty surprised he said it and I had a feeling it was a situation where worst case you could convince someone to take a look at it with enough evidence regardless.

I picked up my car and it was squeaking and creaking even louder than before! Unfortunately, this sound is present nearly all the time for me and i literally can’t drive without the music on fairly loud without going crazy.

They said that they removed some part up front and put down sound-dampening material but it didn’t do a thing to make it better. I’m not sure what else to do.
Sorry to hear. Your experience is exactly why I haven’t taken the car to service for the intermittent rattle.

On my early model (VIN ..05641 - 28,000 miles) there are no rattles or squeaks but the tire noise on rough surfaces is awful. I'm also suspicious that many people confuse tire noise with wind noise. Tire noise changes with the road surface, wind does not.

The Model 3 is so poorly insulated from environmental noise that I can use the engine sound of the cars around me to identify where they are. It is definitely not because electric vehicles are quieter so you hear more of everything else. My previous C300 had engine cutoff when stopped and it was nearly silent inside.

I love my M3 but yes, it is noticeably less soundproof than comparable price-point cars from Audi, Mercedes and the like. Undoubtedly this is partly the higher (as a percentage) cost of the EV powertrain, but it would be nice to look forward to an improved M3 that meets the same cabin standards as the likes of Lexus etc. I suspect Tesla is still figuring out this part of the equation as it matures as a car maker.

As for others experience, I don't think the M3 is a BAD car, far from it .. if you are coming from a mainstream brand I think the M3 well seem just fine, but if you are coming from a luxury brand then yeah, it's not up to that standard and might disappoint in comparison. (My previous cars were an Infiniti and an Audi, and yes, they were both quieter, and no, I'm fine with tolerating this for all the other benefits of the Tesla.)

I think it's also important to remember that the Tesla sounds "different" from a regular ICE car, and your brain naturally picks up on this as more "intrusive" .. for a while. My guess is after some time of only being in an EV, going back to any ICE car will seem "noisy".

Soundproof quality is average to mediocre in my SR+ March 2019 build.

Wind noise all over the place and much worse then my wife's 2018 LR.

Very annoying at high speeds.

Do you see any obvious external differences? Maybe different sound insulation strips around door surround etc? I've been wondering about some of the after-market door noise insulation kits.

Do you see any obvious external differences? Maybe different sound insulation strips around door surround etc? I've been wondering about some of the after-market door noise insulation kits.

Nothing specific as I investigated both. Maybe its the quality as it seems to be a bit "plushier" if thats a word and my wife's is more rigid but i would assume it would be being almost a full year older?

Not very scientific but huge acoustical differences.