Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Owner Frustrated with Tesla Depreciation

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
You bought a $145K tech gadget masquerading as a car. What did you think was going to happen?

And don’t feel bad. The same thing is going to happen to all the people currently buying AP 2.5 vehicles who are expecting them to be FSD capable.

The real lesson here is; only buy used Tesla’s.

Nah. Love my SP100D. Never loved a car so much. 0 to 60 in 2.3 secs, baby. If you drive it, you’ll want it:). In fact, the only other thing I’ve loved as much was the iPad when it first came out. Brings sheer joy and worth the money.

Going to buy the 2020 roadster...

Clickbait, new poster that has 14 posts. Probably doesn’t even own a Tesla just a hater. Anyone buying a Performance model should know it’s going to depreciate way faster than base models.
And yet people buy the performance models anyway... for the performance. Surprise, surprise.

For the same reason some people buy a Dodge Charger instead of a Toyota Camry.

Reactions: Donz_S and Evoforce
So I purchased my first Tesla just over 2 years ago. I ended buying the Tesla Model S P90DL. At first I absolutely loved the car and today I still love it but it has depreciated 50% of the original value in just over 2 years! I don’t care how much I love any car, this is completely unacceptable and I will never buy another one again! Most cars especially luxury cars lose 55% over 5 years! The 2016 P90DL that cost $145K are selling in the $60k’s and $70k’s range! And most if not all the blame falls on Tesla themselves because it’s their used vehicles that are determining the value since they are basically giving them away! On top of that they have lowered the price on the P100DL etc, which is completely the wrong thing to do when manufacturing cars. Every other luxury car slightly increases the price year after year. The people working at Tesla are either some of the dumbest individuals or they are the dumbest individuals and are ruining Every aspects of ownership of having a Tesla. I remember reading Elon Musk promise that Tesla’s would keep their value better than or equal any other manufacturer when it came to Tesla’s retaining their value. He even went as far as saying that he would guarantee that they would hold their value or they would buy the car back at top price in order to convince owners to purchase their cars and not to worry of the car depreciating like other luxury cars. Well they aren’t, they are the most depreciating in history and they need to fix this before everyone like myself decides never to buy another Tesla again! At this point the only way to not lose a fortune would be too lease the car otherwise you can expect to lose everything you put down and much more when you decide to sale. I have never seen any car go from $145K to $70k in the matter of 2-2 1/2 years. As much as I love the car they will never get my business again and this doesn’t include tons of other shady lies and restrictions they have been caught doing in order to keep them from having their batteries. At this point I have lost all faith, trust, and desire to ever be part of the Tesla family again. If your contemplating purchasing a Tesla DON’T! The resale value is nothing less than pathetic and clearly Tesla does not care, on the contrary it seems like they are trying to accomplish this and succeeding. I can’t wait to get rid of this money pit and never buy another Tesla again. With so many other ev vehicles poised to be released, it’s only a matter of time that they lose every customer since they have no clue how to keep their vehicles maintaining the value they should. Which should not be that hard considering the warranties they offer as well of the fact that they are supposed to be able to get 500k miles yet they lose 50% of their value in a measly 2 years! Farewell Tesla your time is UP!!!

Yes, luxury car depreciation is painful, and can be surprising to people that haven't bought new cars on this end of the market before. The rest of your rant is badly misplaced. The S actually does significantly better than it's natural competition, as noted by comparisons like this one:

Tesla Model S retains its value better than gas-powered cars in its segment, losing only 28% after 50k miles

value-retention-study-autolist.png

They hold value wayyyy better than BMW. lol. As a former owner!
They don’t anymore as a former owner of several, they use too and they should but when the manufacturer decides to drop the price 50% on a used 2 year old Model s they set the market price. Also keep in mind when you comparing Bmw Mercedes, etc they release their newest model several months before the new year which Tesla does not. So my 2016 P90DL would really be a 2017 based on manufacturer date. So when comparing the 2 realize that most Tesla’s are actually much newer than their model year compared to the others. So most 2017 bmw i8’s would actually be comparable to my 2016.5 Tesla that was manufactured in October 2016 since every other manufacturer realeases the new model anywhere from July, August, September. So when comparing a Tesla to a Bmw or Mercedes keep in mind how old the car actually is and then compare the two. So looking at the 2017 Bmw i8 average $102k and a 2016.5 Tesla $70k it’s pretty pathetic. Especially if you asked someone who has owned both like myself, and I think the i8 can’t hold a candle next to a Tesla when it comes down to it. Ultimately the blame is on the morons running the company. And all cars increase in price year after year for several reasons, one being inflation and so you don’t have upset buyers who paid $170k P100DL in 2017 and then ones paying $150k in 2018 for the exact same thing. Common sense should tell you that’s not how you run a company unless your desperate for sales and money which will lead to the demise of your business starting with losing your customers first.
This depreciation has occurred when Ap2 finally starting rolling out the new software and with Elon’s big promises etc coming to light again as far as EAP and FSD goes. So please find a current graph cause this huge depreciation just occurred in the last 2 months. So all those are irrelevant now. And it wasn’t only to the P90DL it happened to all except Ones with Ap2 and FSD

Yes, luxury car depreciation is painful, and can be surprising to people that haven't bought new cars on this end of the market before. The rest of your rant is badly misplaced. The S actually does significantly better than it's natural competition, as noted by comparisons like this one:

Tesla Model S retains its value better than gas-powered cars in its segment, losing only 28% after 50k miles

Electrek is heavily biased.

There is a link on the #3 post here. It shows just average depreciation, noting exceptional.
Depreciation 2014S 85kw-13 monts

First of all you can only see the cars available on their website by zip code/state so how are you seeing 1500, clearly lying.

There are actually 1521 cars. He isn’t lying, he just knows where to look.

Tesla doesn’t set used car prices, the market does.

I think I might like to see 2 year old cars going for half the new cost. I’d like to get a nice 2 year old P100DL with AP 2.5 for $65k. A white one.

Holy heck I cannot read this... Here's some help

So I purchased my first Tesla just over 2 years ago. I ended buying the Tesla Model S P90DL. At first I absolutely loved the car and today I still love it but it has depreciated 50% of the original value in just over 2 years! I don’t care how much I love any car, this is completely unacceptable and I will never buy another one again! Most cars especially luxury cars lose 55% over 5 years!

The 2016 P90DL that cost $145K are selling in the $60k’s and $70k’s range! And most if not all the blame falls on Tesla themselves because it’s their used vehicles that are determining the value since they are basically giving them away! On top of that they have lowered the price on the P100DL etc, which is completely the wrong thing to do when manufacturing cars. Every other luxury car slightly increases the price year after year.

The people working at Tesla are either some of the dumbest individuals or they are the dumbest individuals and are ruining Every aspects of ownership of having a Tesla. I remember reading Elon Musk promise that Tesla’s would keep their value better than or equal any other manufacturer when it came to Tesla’s retaining their value. He even went as far as saying that he would guarantee that they would hold their value or they would buy the car back at top price in order to convince owners to purchase their cars and not to worry of the car depreciating like other luxury cars. Well they aren’t, they are the most depreciating in history and they need to fix this before everyone like myself decides never to buy another Tesla again!

At this point the only way to not lose a fortune would be too lease the car otherwise you can expect to lose everything you put down and much more when you decide to sale. I have never seen any car go from $145K to $70k in the matter of 2-2 1/2 years. As much as I love the car they will never get my business again and this doesn’t include tons of other shady lies and restrictions they have been caught doing in order to keep them from having their batteries. At this point I have lost all faith, trust, and desire to ever be part of the Tesla family again. If your contemplating purchasing a Tesla DON’T! The resale value is nothing less than pathetic and clearly Tesla does not care, on the contrary it seems like they are trying to accomplish this and succeeding.

I can’t wait to get rid of this money pit and never buy another Tesla again. With so many other ev vehicles poised to be released, it’s only a matter of time that they lose every customer since they have no clue how to keep their vehicles maintaining the value they should. Which should not be that hard considering the warranties they offer as well of the fact that they are supposed to be able to get 500k miles yet they lose 50% of their value in a measly 2 years!

Farewell Tesla your time is UP!!!

There are actually 1521 cars. He isn’t lying, he just knows where to look.

Tesla doesn’t set used car prices, the market does.

I think I might like to see 2 year old cars going for half the new cost. I’d like to get a nice 2 year old P100DL with AP 2.5 for $65k. A white one.
Yes I would like to see one as well for that but if you bought one new I’m sure if you would like seeing it. And I know about
Ev-cpo.com to see all the Tesla’s on their website. How many P100DL do you see? None? Why? Cause everyone has kept them? No cause Tesla doesn’t want to sale you used ones of the P100DL. Now if you call them and let them know that you only want a used P100DL than they will send you some otherwise they are trying to dump all the other ones especially with Ap1. And they create their own market price for their CPO cars no one else. The rest of the market is still finding out the hard way when a potential buyer calls and then tells the owner what they are selling for from Tesla which in turn dictates the market price. And thanks but I’m not in English class just a forum so idc about my paragraphs but it looks much better lol. And yes I’ve owned around 10 luxury and exotic cars and out of all the luxury cars I’ve owned the Porsche Panamera was the best in terms of retaining value. Both Mercedes and BMW are awful and Tesla’s should not be as bad in my opinion

For people that can actually do math:

The only way to arrive at a $142k P90D was to check every option box. OP lives in California so received a $7500 fed tax credit and $2500 state rebate, so actual out of pocket cost for the car was $132k.

Filtering EV-CPO results for 2016 facelift AP1 P90Ds with basically all options returns 12 results with an average price of $76,500.

That’s about 40.1% depreciation in two years.

Stellar? No. Right in line with or maybe slightly better than similar cars? Yep.

Also, let’s be fair even though OP came in swinging like a tool - a late AP1 P90D with every option might well be THE high water mark in terms of Model S depreciation. October 2016 was a piss-poor time to buy THAT car at full MSRP (anyone remember the crazy Q3 ‘16 leases and “showroom discounts” pushing $30k on brand new inventory models? I sure do. Too bad OP missed the thread).

866E97B6-BB5C-4150-9C6D-66BDD8907C71.png

The only way to arrive at a $142k P90D was to check every option box. OP lives in California so received a $7500 fed tax credit and $2500 state rebate, so actual out of pocket cost for the car was $132k.

Filtering EV-CPO results for 2016 facelift AP1 P90Ds with basically all options returns 12 results with an average price of $76,500.

Stellar? No. Right in line with or maybe slightly better than similar cars? Yep.

Also, let’s be fair even though OP came in swinging like a tool - a late AP1 P90D with every option might well be THE high water mark in terms of Model S depreciation. October 2016 was a piss-poor time to buy THAT car at full MSRP (anyone remember the crazy Q3 ‘16 leases and “showroom discounts” pushing $30k on brand new inventory models? I sure do. Too bad OP missed the thread).

Nope 2016.5 P90DL Msrp $144,950
No Facelift model s ever had V1 battery. Only V2 or V3 and they get 270 miles instead of 253 for the V1. So $144,950-$7,500=$137,450
Too bad you missed this thread

I wish I would have leased

• Disagree
Reactions: Donz_S
Status
Not open for further replies.