Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Owner robbed at gunpoint and Model S stolen while supercharging in Barstow...

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
uhm, autopilot is still fantasy ... all the autopilot answers (to a police station... etc are amusing) will not work in any car in my lifetime where I live, I bet

not just because I have a "unequipped" S... its because the driving environment wont support it

at best, maybe see auto-parking and power docking in a well controlled environment

Yes, I've thought the exact same thing. On my Tahoe one press of the fob unlocks the driver's door only. Two presses unlocks all doors. But as you say there should be an option for the user to define the settings. Aside from safety, it would also be less wear on the three door handles that most often present and retract when not needed.

One thing I absolutely love about my mother's Lexus is that it is aware of where the key fob is. For instance, if she walks up to he driver door and I pull on the passenger door, it will NOT unlock. She must press the button on the fob, the door handle, or pull her handle twice. Similarly, if she has the key and walks up to the passenger side, I cannot pull the driver handle or press the button on the handle to unlock the door. Though, this time, if she pulls her handle to open the door, it unlocks all doors. I thought this is really convenient as you state so that every door doesn't automatically unlock until extra action is taken.

One thing I absolutely love about my mother's Lexus is that it is aware of where the key fob is. For instance, if she walks up to he driver door and I pull on the passenger door, it will NOT unlock. She must press the button on the fob, the door handle, or pull her handle twice. Similarly, if she has the key and walks up to the passenger side, I cannot pull the driver handle or press the button on the handle to unlock the door. Though, this time, if she pulls her handle to open the door, it unlocks all doors. I thought this is really convenient as you state so that every door doesn't automatically unlock until extra action is taken.

Convenient that she has to take the FOB out of her pocket and press a button, or press a button on the handle, or pull her handle twice? How is that more convenient than just walking up and getting in?

Just my humble opinion, but some of the paranoia in this thread is a bit amusing. This was a one-off crime. A robbery. It happens. Fortunately, the victim is OK. But this is not a "disturbing trend" for Supercharging. This is the only time this has ever happened.

Sure, being prepared is good, but requests for ejecting charge cables for a quick getaway, etc. are just overkill. Personally, I'm not going to live my life in constant fear of getting robbed. Just be aware of your surroundings and be smart. Just my opinion.

If you don't take the upper hand, the criminals will make sure this is not a "one-off". Here, the upper hand to be taken by Tesla is technological. The Lexus behavior described is a good start, but Tesla could go much further, such as not allowing GPS disable without password, a button on the remote that means "immediate authority alert", and auto-ejecting plugs, to name a few.

There seem to be a lot of pro-criminal forces at companies: Apple & AT&T refusing to program solid anti-theft features in their phones. A company that treats its customers with enough respect to protect them any way it could is a company with a superior product to those who don't.

Pretty much everything you said I disagree with.

- - - Updated - - -

Moral of the story is: If you ever get car jacked, make sure you keep the Key Fob with you.

Or crush it? Also, if they steal your "other" key (app), then what? Usually the first thing a car jacker asks for is the key. So no help there.

Convenient that she has to take the FOB out of her pocket and press a button, or press a button on the handle, or pull her handle twice? How is that more convenient than just walking up and getting in?

Quite convenient actually as 99% of the time, she is alone (so only wants her driver door unlocked) and 100% of the time never takes out the key fob or pressed a button as she just walks up and opens the door by pulling the handle to unlock the door. Pretty much as convenient as a MS, but works for her as she lives alone. And then only one extra pull the rare times someone else is with her.

In her previous car, there were times that she calls me just to have me on the line as she gets in her car "just in case" someone will jump in the passenger seat BECAUSE IT ACTUALLY HAPPENED to her once!

Last edited:
Scottm +++. Those are great. It could indicate "battery low". A competent theft or emergency response dispatch team would need to be tendered by Tesla/implementer. I saw Lexus seems to have some similar dispatch service on Top Gear, but that was a high end model.

- - - Updated - - -

Sag host, commasign: very nice idea, too (except the electric body which lawyers say no to).

You're a smart guy. I also carry one in my car, although I rarely carry on my person. I save that for special occasions. :)
Only time mine's not on my person, is where it is not legal for me to carry. Otherwise, always one on my hip, while driving, I put my second one under my seat. When I exit the vehicle, the .25's on the left hip, and the .45 is on the right. My backside has been saved 4 times now by my lil friends, but thats a story for another time.

Only time mine's not on my person, is where it is not legal for me to carry. Otherwise, always one on my hip, while driving, I put my second one under my seat. When I exit the vehicle, the .25's on the left hip, and the .45 is on the right. My backside has been saved 4 times now by my lil friends, but thats a story for another time.

You've shot 4 people? Or did just pulling them out end the situation?

For everyone talking about wanting a quick way to lock the doors, a few days ago an idea was discussed in this thread:

Is there a way to stop auto present handles when pushing the park button?

I have had this idea for a long time now - to use the (mechanical) park button push as a lock/unlock toggle switch when the car is in park. The button currently becomes useless once the car goes to park, having to go to the touch screen to lock/unlock is not as convenience as reaching the park button.

If only the idea could reach Elon's ears. If he likes it, I am sure it can be out in the next release :D

It seems like a good idea to me too. Perhaps if a few more people write in and request it, Tesla will make it happen.