Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Owners delivery stories, photos and first impressions

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I just picked up my 2016.5 S90D w/facelift from Tesla last week and couldn’t be happier. I have had a lot of vehicles over the years that I loved however nothing compares to this. I absolutely love the styling, technology and of course the acceleration.

Here is a picture of “Tenacious D”

Looks great! is that the appearance as Tesla delivered it to you, or have you had to clean it up for the photo?

• Helpful
Reactions: Butenegro
What does "pre-Raven" mean and what does Raven do? Does a 2019 p100d have it?

"Raven" is Tesla's term for the set of upgrades to the power train in Model S and X introduced a few months ago. Basically, the front motor has been replaced by a Model 3 motor with permanent magnets, which makes the car more efficient in its energy use. Some other efficiencies were gained with better bearings and lower electrical consumption (but I have lost track of exactly what devices were changed -- the AC-DC converter, perhaps?). Collectively, these improvements increased the range of the Model S and X. Externally, the "Raven" cars no longer have designations revealing their battery size (no badge of "P100D," etc.). Just sold as standard range (briefly available, but no longer) and long range, with or without the performance package.

So, long story here.

I ordered my Model S Long Range in March 2019. I did order it on delay as I only needed it by July, so on delivery date I said "May".

It arrived in may from the shipment. On arrival they (Tesla Netherlands) noticed a big crack in the glass roof, running all the way from the front to the back.

Since they notified me to late, I had already made an agreement with the buyer of my car and I would be without car. So Tesla provided me with a courtesy 70D.

I had that car 'till last Thursday. I now have my model S... with a broken roof (you can only see the crack from the inside and they assured me it was safe).
They promised me a roof by the end of August...
In almost 3 months, they didn't manage to obtain a new roof, which I found very worrisome.
Since I drove over 7000 km with the 70D, and it was actually a very different car, I'll probably make a write up on it.

Anyway, I'm very glad to have my own car now. Here's a picture of my new P&J called "Mako".
I installed a carbon spoiler on it myself, which was about 250 EUR and I think it looks great.

2019-08-09_01h04_06.png

New to the board, been reading very interesting posts here and I'm liking the vibe of the place. Sure, people get into some heated arguments now and again, but overall I like the level or respect and admiration we have for each other and our Teslas. My Tesla journey began in March of this year, when I received my annual bonus and decided that I'd get Wifey a Tesla. She had been admiring them for a while, and she's been driving our Toyota Sienna minivan for the past 7 years, so I thought she was due for an upgrade. Living in Southern California is already expensive, so it would be a stretch for us to order a brand new Tesla, and I was searching the Used Inventory religiously.

A coworker of mine heard that I was looking for a Tesla. He said he had bought his Mom one, and she rarely uses it, so any weekend that I wanted to borrow it I could. Wait, what? I didn't think the offer would be for real, but sure enough, the following weekend I picked up his Mom's 75D and took my family out for a weekend in Beverly Hills. Wifey and the kids just loved the car, so nice and quiet, lots of power, and took us in style from Orange County to LA and back. Now I knew I had to have one, so I looked even harder at the used inventory. It seemed that something in the 2016.5 range with dual motors would run close to $60,000, and when I requested the pictures it would often show some damage on the car (scrapes, scratches, dents). It was then that I got hooked up with Jennie, a Tesla sales rep. We texted back and forth and she helped me by offering the inventory cars that didn't always show up in Used Inventory online. She mentioned that they were closing down showrooms in the area, and that those leftover inventory cars are often sold at a good discount, but the only catch is that when it's available I have to jump on it that day. I said that is fine, I'm ready to go at a moment's notice for a good deal.

So it came to be that at the end of April I was on my way to a cousin's baby shower when I got the call. A showroom car with 15 miles on it was available. I pulled off the freeway and switched places with my wife. On our way to the baby shower, from my car, on the 405South, I uploaded all my documents and applied for financing. Before we left the baby shower I had received word - I was approved, and the car would be mine! What kind of deal did I get? According to the paperwork, the 2019 Model S 75D had a sticker price of $88,000 but I was getting it for $68,000. But I still had to pick it up that day and it was all the way up in Santa Monica. To add to my already great impression of Tesla service, they even sent and paid for an Uber to pick me up in Orange County and take me to Santa Monica to finalize the paperwork, and so I could drive the car home. Sure, it's not the fastest Tesla. It doesn't have the longest range. It doesn't have free unlimited supercharging. But they did give us 10,000 supercharger miles, as that was the promotion on it, "a year's worth" of supercharging they said. But it was my first Tesla, and it was awesome! OK right, technically it's my wife's Tesla, and it's still awesome. She's happy, and happy Wifey, happy lifey, amirite? She lets me drive it occasionally, mostly so I can go charge it for her, and I don't mind so much since my other car is a 2008 BMW M5 - v10 engine, 507 horsepower, 11mpg. Grrrrrrr, 11mpg!! I'm spending over $400/month in gasoline to use the M5 as my daily driver, and my wife's got the car that uses electricity. Hmmmmmm. Perhaps I should think about getting another Tesla for myself?
IMG_8555.JPEG
IMG_8566.JPEG

New to the board, been reading very interesting posts here and I'm liking the vibe of the place. Sure, people get into some heated arguments now and again, but overall I like the level or respect and admiration we have for each other and our Teslas. My Tesla journey began in March of this year, when I received my annual bonus and decided that I'd get Wifey a Tesla. She had been admiring them for a while, and she's been driving our Toyota Sienna minivan for the past 7 years, so I thought she was due for an upgrade. Living in Southern California is already expensive, so it would be a stretch for us to order a brand new Tesla, and I was searching the Used Inventory religiously.

A coworker of mine heard that I was looking for a Tesla. He said he had bought his Mom one, and she rarely uses it, so any weekend that I wanted to borrow it I could. Wait, what? I didn't think the offer would be for real, but sure enough, the following weekend I picked up his Mom's 75D and took my family out for a weekend in Beverly Hills. Wifey and the kids just loved the car, so nice and quiet, lots of power, and took us in style from Orange County to LA and back. Now I knew I had to have one, so I looked even harder at the used inventory. It seemed that something in the 2016.5 range with dual motors would run close to $60,000, and when I requested the pictures it would often show some damage on the car (scrapes, scratches, dents). It was then that I got hooked up with Jennie, a Tesla sales rep. We texted back and forth and she helped me by offering the inventory cars that didn't always show up in Used Inventory online. She mentioned that they were closing down showrooms in the area, and that those leftover inventory cars are often sold at a good discount, but the only catch is that when it's available I have to jump on it that day. I said that is fine, I'm ready to go at a moment's notice for a good deal.

So it came to be that at the end of April I was on my way to a cousin's baby shower when I got the call. A showroom car with 15 miles on it was available. I pulled off the freeway and switched places with my wife. On our way to the baby shower, from my car, on the 405South, I uploaded all my documents and applied for financing. Before we left the baby shower I had received word - I was approved, and the car would be mine! What kind of deal did I get? According to the paperwork, the 2019 Model S 75D had a sticker price of $88,000 but I was getting it for $68,000. But I still had to pick it up that day and it was all the way up in Santa Monica. To add to my already great impression of Tesla service, they even sent and paid for an Uber to pick me up in Orange County and take me to Santa Monica to finalize the paperwork, and so I could drive the car home. Sure, it's not the fastest Tesla. It doesn't have the longest range. It doesn't have free unlimited supercharging. But they did give us 10,000 supercharger miles, as that was the promotion on it, "a year's worth" of supercharging they said. But it was my first Tesla, and it was awesome! OK right, technically it's my wife's Tesla, and it's still awesome. She's happy, and happy Wifey, happy lifey, amirite? She lets me drive it occasionally, mostly so I can go charge it for her, and I don't mind so much since my other car is a 2008 BMW M5 - v10 engine, 507 horsepower, 11mpg. Grrrrrrr, 11mpg!! I'm spending over $400/month in gasoline to use the M5 as my daily driver, and my wife's got the car that uses electricity. Hmmmmmm. Perhaps I should think about getting another Tesla for myself?
View attachment 446634 View attachment 446635

Welcome kingkong5

Reactions: kingkong5
Congratulations. My car also had a couple of scratches that were not disclosed by the photos I received. The scratch on the hood also had a dent. I still accepted delivery as overall the car was great. I had a paintless dent repair guy fix the dent, amazing! Like magic he made it disappear! To correct other minor paint defects I used Dr. ColorChip repair kit. Perfect match on the paint, 100% improvement.

Can you post photos of your car? Would love to see them! EDIT: I saw your photos! Great looking car.

Again, congratulations. Hope you have as great of a time as I am having with my model S.

Congrats! What did they say when you pointed out the scratches? Should have my Raven in a week or so, and I think you took that way better than I would have.

Reactions: rafacq
Congrats! What did they say when you pointed out the scratches? Should have my Raven in a week or so, and I think you took that way better than I would have.

My car was a used 2015 S85D with 12,004 miles. Tesla claimed you could see the hood dent in the photos they sent me, but I didn’t see them. As I already mentioned, the car was a great buy, KBB wholesale value was $48K to $54K and I got it for $46K. It was only $250 to fix the dents, and a $50 Dr. ColorChip kit to make some very minor paint chips go away. I’m really pleased.

• Love
Reactions: AW9nineteen and EdA
Just picked up a Used Inventory 2016 P90DL. For $62k, this is a steal! Near flawless paint and interior, and crazy performance!

I do have one gripe, and that's the customer service/delivery process. It was painful dealing with the sales and delivery process.

I saw a used one on EV-CPO, pointing to the Tesla website saying it located at Westmont, IL , so I went to the Westmont showroom to ask about it and see it. The sales advisor told me, "I can't answer any questions on used inventory, because we don't sell used cars. (I show him the Tesla website listing) I don't know why the website says that, we don't have used cars."

So I go home and used the link on the listing to email Tesla directly, and ask how I can see the car before putting the deposit down. No Response. A week later, still no response, but I see the listing has now been pulled. So I head back to EV-CPO to find another one.

I see another one located in another state, so I put the $2500 deposit down so that they knew I was serious, and maybe someone from Tesla would then contact me.

I get a call the next day from a Westmont sales advisor congratulating me on my purchase. I had some questions about the car, and whether it was a P90D or a P90DL, because the badging didn't have the underline. The sales advisor was a little dumbfounded about it being used, and asked me to hold on while he talked to his manager. His manager then tells him to stop all communications with me, and to refer me to a used car sales advisor out of HQ.

3 days later, nothing... Still waiting. I call the number on my reservation email to ask what's going on, and it directs me back to the Westmont New Sales Advisor again, who again said he can't answer my questions for used cars, but saying there's no such thing a P90DL only P90D (Ok, you have no idea. I need to talk to someone else) He told me he'd reach out to the used car sales advisor again.

5 days after putting my deposit down, I finally get an email and a call from the used car sales advisor congratulating me on my order. I ask about and said to wait to hear from the delivery team for my delivery date.

2 days later the delivery advisor says he begin to coordinate the transportation of my car from NJ to Westmont, IL, and not to make any travel plans for the next 3 weeks until he confirms when it can be delivered to the showroom.

3 days later and I get no updates on delivery, so I call the delivery advisor, and it goes right to his full voicemail. Awesome. So I call my used car advisor the next day, and he says It's already been delivered to Westmont and it's ready to be picked up the next business day! (3 days later because of Labor Day Weekend) Great news, but why am I not getting updates?! Why did it take me calling them to tell me it was delivered?

Finally, I picked it up, in amazing condition, as seen in the picture below. I'm blown away by it, but they can't give me any information about what maintenance it still needs, as the service records are tied to the previous owner. They can't tell me if the cabin filter needs to be replaced, or if the brake fluid is still ok, or if the 4 year battery coolant change was done. So now I just purchased a car from Tesla that needs immediate service work done, because no one knows when it was last maintained.. and they aren't willing to pay for it. Awesome! Just dropped $70k, and they want $400 more to make sure it was maintained properly.

tl;dr - Took about a week and a half from ordering to picking it up, which isn't bad at all, but I got NO Updates on the status of the delivery until it already arrived, at which point it was too late to pick it up until after the 3-day Labor Day weekend. Then they want $400 more to ensure it is current on its maintenance schedule.

H0h9iWy.jpg

Just picked up a Used Inventory 2016 P90DL. For $62k, this is a steal! Near flawless paint and interior, and crazy performance!

I do have one gripe, and that's the customer service/delivery process. It was painful dealing with the sales and delivery process.

I saw a used one on EV-CPO, pointing to the Tesla website saying it located at Westmont, IL , so I went to the Westmont showroom to ask about it and see it. The sales advisor told me, "I can't answer any questions on used inventory, because we don't sell used cars. (I show him the Tesla website listing) I don't know why the website says that, we don't have used cars."

So I go home and used the link on the listing to email Tesla directly, and ask how I can see the car before putting the deposit down. No Response. A week later, still no response, but I see the listing has now been pulled. So I head back to EV-CPO to find another one.

I see another one located in another state, so I put the $2500 deposit down so that they knew I was serious, and maybe someone from Tesla would then contact me.

I get a call the next day from a Westmont sales advisor congratulating me on my purchase. I had some questions about the car, and whether it was a P90D or a P90DL, because the badging didn't have the underline. The sales advisor was a little dumbfounded about it being used, and asked me to hold on while he talked to his manager. His manager then tells him to stop all communications with me, and to refer me to a used car sales advisor out of HQ.

3 days later, nothing... Still waiting. I call the number on my reservation email to ask what's going on, and it directs me back to the Westmont New Sales Advisor again, who again said he can't answer my questions for used cars, but saying there's no such thing a P90DL only P90D (Ok, you have no idea. I need to talk to someone else) He told me he'd reach out to the used car sales advisor again.

5 days after putting my deposit down, I finally get an email and a call from the used car sales advisor congratulating me on my order. I ask about and said to wait to hear from the delivery team for my delivery date.

2 days later the delivery advisor says he begin to coordinate the transportation of my car from NJ to Westmont, IL, and not to make any travel plans for the next 3 weeks until he confirms when it can be delivered to the showroom.

3 days later and I get no updates on delivery, so I call the delivery advisor, and it goes right to his full voicemail. Awesome. So I call my used car advisor the next day, and he says It's already been delivered to Westmont and it's ready to be picked up the next business day! (3 days later because of Labor Day Weekend) Great news, but why am I not getting updates?! Why did it take me calling them to tell me it was delivered?

Finally, I picked it up, in amazing condition, as seen in the picture below. I'm blown away by it, but they can't give me any information about what maintenance it still needs, as the service records are tied to the previous owner. They can't tell me if the cabin filter needs to be replaced, or if the brake fluid is still ok, or if the 4 year battery coolant change was done. So now I just purchased a car from Tesla that needs immediate service work done, because no one knows when it was last maintained.. and they aren't willing to pay for it. Awesome! Just dropped $70k, and they want $400 more to make sure it was maintained properly.

tl;dr - Took about a week and a half from ordering to picking it up, which isn't bad at all, but I got NO Updates on the status of the delivery until it already arrived, at which point it was too late to pick it up until after the 3-day Labor Day weekend. Then they want $400 more to ensure it is current on its maintenance schedule.

H0h9iWy.jpg

Congratulations. The car looks great.

How many miles? My 2015 S85D only had 12,004 miles. Tesla did not provide service history, but my delivery advisor was great and told me, with such low mileage, think of it as a new car. You shouldn’t need brakes serviced for a long time, particularly if you use regenerative braking. Worry about windshield washer fluid, rotate your tires every 6 months and you are good.

F31BB1AA-4E09-4872-AF3D-20A96A03BCDF.jpeg
So finally, my new car has arrived and it's been taken care of by vinyl wrappers past couple of days. Haven't driven super far yet, but I can already see plenty of differences between my old P85D and this new Raven Performance Ludicrous. Here is a summary of impressions and some nice shots of the new ride.

Delivery and quality
- Doors and chrome fitting good. Some joints a bit wide but overall well aligned body work.
- There was a small scratch on the rear bumper, but they were able to polish it away at delivery center.
- Good delivery experience over all. Fast and convenient (apart from the long wait to get the car - May 28 order, Sep 9 delivery).

Comfort
- The chairs have a slightly different shape and padding vs the old car with nextgen seats. Also, "vegan" leather instead of the real deal. I find them very comfortable, perhaps with slightly less suppor for thighs. Side padding is more comfortable in the new car, and something is different in a good way around the sholuders. Vegan leather feels more ventilated and less slippery. Thumbs up!
- Noice levels are noticable lower vs old car. Probably due to a number of changes. Besides the overall uplift in soundproofing and detail quality (no rattles or nothing) I think the new adaptive suspension contributes a lot.
- Small incremental changes all over the car add up to a better general quality feel. The most obvious is the center console in the front which is quite practical vs the open space that was there before. New sunguards, make up mirrors, cup holders and USB ports in the back, auto close of charge port etc. All these things make the car overall better. But why the alcantara in the interior door handles?

To drive
- Autopilot is actually way better than feared vs AP1. My software is still very old though being version 2019.15.103 (latest I know is 2019-32.1). I expect a pretty big difference once the next update comes to me. I cant make lane change work on autopilot at all, don't know what I'm doing wrong. It just says lane change is "unavailable"..
- Navigate on autopilot remains to be tested.
- Steering feels pretty different actually. I used to prefer the "normal" setting, but in this one I prefer to go to "sport". Have heard of some torque steer in this new gen, but haven't noticed any yet.
- A powerful regen with the new front engine is quite obvious (and good). Probably a good contributor to the improved efficiency. However, I don't like the new wining sound from fron engine which is different and more present than in old D models.
- The capacity of the 100Kw battery is phenomenal. I have 500km at 90% and it feels very good to have that range. Consumption is noticable better and it's very easy to stay below 200Wh which was quite a challenge with P85D.
- The adaptive suspension is magical. The difference between comfort and sport mode isn't that obvious to me yet, but I have frankly not pushed the car that much just yet. But the car feels very alert - I feared coming from P85D sport plus chassie and that this new one would feel too soft. But no.
- Maybe I'm imagining but turning radius seems better now?
- Ludicrous mode is just nuts. Incredible performance also at higher speeds. But this whole thing with having to preheat the battery to get full performance kind of makes it generally inaccessible.

Design
- I'm missing the alcantara on the dashboard from the old car. Was a nice touch which made it stand out more.
- The ultra white interior is really in your face. "Holy crap it's white" is what I felt when picking it up, and I almost regretted my choice. But it's really grown on me after a few days and has a lot more attitude than the all black which was my only other option.
- The now gunmetal colored metal liners in the interior (around screen, on wheel etc) look really cool with the carbon fiber. The only remaining aluminium colored detail is the door handle, and this actually helps newbies get out. Like it!
- The exterior face lift was welcome, and the more pointy nose makes me think of Aston Martin and maybe a little Maserati Granturismo. Especially with the wrap (3M Satin Dark Greay + Satin Black crome delete) I added. Thanks Marques Brownlee for the inspiration!
- I really hate the "dual motor" badge and took it off. Give me P100D again!?
- Even though I miss opening the glass roof, I must say that the one piece glass roof is pretty cool! Especially for rear seat passengers of course.
- For some reason I'm bit bothered by the square shaped box that now covers the cameras behind the rear view mirror. This used to be a more rounded shape that was less noticeable when looking in the mirror.

Sound/multimedia/infotainment
- The premium sound system is better than the standard one, but not quite as good as I thought it would be. Missing some punch sometimes and would like to see more granular configuration options.
- The new MCU is great. Haven't tried the web browser, but everything else flows very nicely. And the reverse camera! So much better image also in poor lighting. Thanks!

Security
- Sentry mode - way to complicated and difficult to operate. Get it as a fully integrated feature in the UI so that you can view recordings there! Will this be part of v10? Nevertheless - a good feature to keep the bad guys away.
- PIN to drive was the first thing I activated in the car. Too bad it's absolutely necessary to keep the car reasonably safe from being stolen with simple signal amplifiers.

View attachment 454536 So finally, my new car has arrived and it's been taken care of by vinyl wrappers past couple of days. Haven't driven super far yet, but I can already see plenty of differences between my old P85D and this new Raven Performance Ludicrous. Here is a summary of impressions and some nice shots of the new ride.

Congratulations! It looks awesome.

Reactions: Kilowatt