Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Owners delivery stories, photos and first impressions

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Going to be taking delivery of my 2016 Model S on Friday the 7th! Put the deposit down on Jan 30th! So excited. Will be driving it back from Chicago to Houston.

How was your delivery? I put $100 deposit on January 28, waiting for date of delivery. My 2016 Model S is located in my location actually (in Chicago area). Did you put down payment before delivery or just the $100 and the rest during delivery? The steps on the account are confusing.

How was your delivery? I put $100 deposit on January 28, waiting for date of delivery. My 2016 Model S is located in my location actually (in Chicago area). Did you put down payment before delivery or just the $100 and the rest during delivery? The steps on the account are confusing.

wait till you see the car to sign or pay for anything other than the $100 order fee

Hi folks.
I have had my 2015 70D for nearly three weeks now and whilst I love the car, the experience so far has been a little trying.

I bought the car from a dealer (non Tesla) and we are discussing a certain amount of remedial work required,

On the test drive I noticed the steering wheel controls on the left side (volume) was pushed into the housing and didn't work. Dealer agreed to cover the cost of repair '...just take it in to Tesla' (Little did I know how difficult that will be, until they switch on the app)

I didn't notice at the time, but I do now, that the driver's seat rocks forward and back on braking/accelerating.

Yesterday the passenger door handle failed and doesn't present.

Today, I went to get two new tyres fitted and discovered that one wheel is badly dented on the inner rim and the other one is also buckled.

Called in to the local Tesla service centre, more in hope than expectation, to see if I could at least book the car in, and in particular if they could give Tesla central a prod to expedite the app setup, as they have had my documents a week so far. Nope. Might be 4 or 5 weeks....

But that aside, what a car!

(oh yeah, nearly forgot - no type 2 cable provided either)

This is the attitude that Tesla seems to take: ignore the negative and accentuate the positive. It’s a subtle Jedi mind trick but it works well in this world where many are weak minded.

From the outside looking in (outside only because Tesla make it so awkward for me to get inside yet), it feels like its all about control on the part of Tesla. The impression to me is that they are making it as difficult as possible for anyone other than Tesla to operate in the sale and support of used Teslas. If you haven't bought the car from them they really don't want to know.

I have never come across an organisation so deliberately difficult to contact, let alone engage with, and am finding it immensely frustrating so far. Even visiting the service centre got me nowhere, no one seems to want to take any steps to help me engage with Tesla and it is clear that any progress on that score will be on Tesla's terms and only when it suits them.

As good as the product is, the ownership experience for me so far is the worst I've ever had.

Reactions: exxer

Delivery was fairly simple, but the car itself was absolute trash. I put the $100 down, then I went through a credit union, got the check for the remaining balance in one day. I went to the dealership with the downpayment personal check and the remaining check from the credit union. Gave them both, and was on my way. I just kept the salesman up to date on everything so there werent any issues.

The car hadn't been detailed, wasn't washed, still had items left in there from the previous owner. It was so disappointed to say the least to have to pick up a car that you're so excited about that looks like that. The vehicle wasn't even on the property when I got there for my appointment. I had asked for it to be charged to 100% so I could drive back right away to Houston and get to the next supercharger, but that wasn't the case. Nonetheless, I am getting it detailed at the nearest service center to my home, but still a shitty delivery experience for me.

Delivery was fairly simple, but the car itself was absolute trash. I put the $100 down, then I went through a credit union, got the check for the remaining balance in one day. I went to the dealership with the downpayment personal check and the remaining check from the credit union. Gave them both, and was on my way. I just kept the salesman up to date on everything so there werent any issues.

The car hadn't been detailed, wasn't washed, still had items left in there from the previous owner. It was so disappointed to say the least to have to pick up a car that you're so excited about that looks like that. The vehicle wasn't even on the property when I got there for my appointment. I had asked for it to be charged to 100% so I could drive back right away to Houston and get to the next supercharger, but that wasn't the case. Nonetheless, I am getting it detailed at the nearest service center to my home, but still a shitty delivery experience for me.

Wow, not good, not good at all. I{m taking delivery today, car was in Matteson, IL just 50 miles from my house, and delivery location is like 1 mile from my house, in Schaumburg, IL. So far I was able to see it on Saturday, just checked if it match with pictures, curious if they will let me to check inside of the car before paperwork. From the email it says 15 minutes delivery, 5 min paperwork and 10 minutes go over features. Went there yesterday and they took it inside to prepare for today delivery. We see.

• Love
Reactions: EVortex
Wow, not good, not good at all. I{m taking delivery today, car was in Matteson, IL just 50 miles from my house, and delivery location is like 1 mile from my house, in Schaumburg, IL. So far I was able to see it on Saturday, just checked if it match with pictures, curious if they will let me to check inside of the car before paperwork. From the email it says 15 minutes delivery, 5 min paperwork and 10 minutes go over features. Went there yesterday and they took it inside to prepare for today delivery. We see.

That's exactly where I picked up my car. Flew in from Houston to get there by noon, car wasn't even brought on site until 12:30. They offered to detail it for me, but we did not have 2-3 hours to waste since we needed to drive back to Houston asap.

That's exactly where I picked up my car. Flew in from Houston to get there by noon, car wasn't even brought on site until 12:30. They offered to detail it for me, but we did not have 2-3 hours to waste since we needed to drive back to Houston asap.
We are after pickup already, car was cleaned, we were allowed to check everything first, inside and outside, if everything works. Then paperwork and drive home. I was pushing my sale Advisor about delivery timing because I've had check from my bank with date until it will be valid so delivery had to be this week. I called Tesla 1-888 number and they switched me to Westmont location and they arranged early transport to delivery location. Overall have great experience with people at this (Schaumburg) location - they have good reviews. And they are not responsible for car transportation if is located in different location. Looks like your sales Advisor did not schedule everything right.

Wednesday I picked up my new Model S Long Range Plus in Austin. The service center was busy, end-of-quarter crush underway, I guess. There was a trailer full of Model Ys waiting to be unloaded!

My car still had firmware dating from last year showing “Long Range” but I updated it that night, and now it says “Long Range Plus” and shows the full rated range. Aside from that, the newest everything: adaptive suspension, Tempest wheels, wireless phone charger, new thinner seats, etc.

This is my second EV, my second Tesla. For the last five years I have been driving a 2010 Roadster, and these two cars could not be more different in their nature. I’ve had a couple of S and one X, briefly, as loaners over the years whenever the Roadster was in the shop, so I had some idea what I was getting into, but still… It’s like I’m stepping into a new world.

Although not the performance version, the S LR+ is not a slow car. By the numbers, it’s a little quicker from launch than my non-sport Roadster. Even better, overtaking at highway speed is much stronger than the Roadster and feels a lot like my old Lotus Esprit V8 did. It’s ready to surge forward whenever I ask.

But the range! Charging to 80% and then reading out 312 miles range is unreal! Picking up the car with a 77% charge, driving home 100 miles, and still having more miles left than my Roadster even starts the day with… It's like science fiction. That completely changes the way I even think about using it. Oh yeah, and it came with Unlimited Free Supercharging! The Roadster can’t even access Supercharger stations.

I am ashamed to say that I did not do the super-intense nit-picking inspection when I picked up the car that we are all told so many times to do. I was more concerned with figuring out how to operate it, although I did double-check to make sure the mobile charging cable was accounted for. Since then I have had time to inspect the car more closely, including hand-washing the bugs off this morning. The only flaw I have found is one pinhead sized paint chip just behind the rear passenger door. Panel gaps look fine to me. Everything inside seems to fit together as it should. Taking it off the tarmac onto a dirt-paved county road managed to bring out one tiny rattle from somewhere in back.

If I have to stretch for some negatives… When I come to a passing lane, Autopilot wobbles drunkenly before deciding, seemingly at random, which lane to get into. I’d noticed that before with the loaner cars and hoped it would have been fixed, but nope.

Driver visibility is somewhat compromised in the S relative to an X (and that huge helicopter windshield) or Roadster (with the top off). I wouldn’t go so far as to say claustrophobic, but it does feel a little closed-in with the arching A-pillar and super-dark tinted glass roof. I really think they went overboard with the tint. It’s almost so dark as to wonder what was even the point of having a glass roof.

Attachments

• old_and_new.jpg
    old_and_new.jpg
    302.6 KB · Views: 348
feels a lot like my old Lotus Esprit V8

Funny you say that. As a former Lotus driver (still have an M100 in storage) there is SOME similarity, but the V8 Esprit always drove me nuts because the EMS limited power in first three gears, by which time you were over the legal speed limit. 4th and 5th gears had full power available but you couldn't usually make use of it.

I do feel the sharp yet soft and subtle ride quality does compare between the Tesla and V8 Esprit. I loved the Esprits I had (4 different versions) but like the drive of the Tesla even more.

Our Model S showed up today without warning. It was transported from Atlanta 400 + plus miles on the front of an open transport. The inside has dust everywhere and some of the tape and plastic were removed. They dropped it off, asked us to sign a form and threw us the FOBs. Not exactly what I was expecting when purchasing a $120K vehicle. Spend a couple of hours cleaning outside. Only found 2 paint issues, crap under paint by door and a scrap on rear bumper. Tomorrow clean & sanitize the inside. Drive on Sunday. Killing me !!

M

PS - This is the first time I have seen the "Glass Roof". Awesome !!

Update - Drove the Raven for the 1st time. I have to say I was impressed with ride and power. Left in sport mode until i get more use to the vehicle. Can't wait to feel Ludicrous + mode !! Also found about 5 small imperfections on hood when we looked at it in sunlight. Not sure the fix maybe worst than living with them. Wife has already hid my FOB. My fault I let her drive it... I removed front license holder. Looks sooo much better.

Attachments

• IMG_3896.jpeg
    IMG_3896.jpeg
    120.1 KB · Views: 328
  • IMG_3892.jpeg
    IMG_3892.jpeg
    152.2 KB · Views: 328
  • IMG_3897.jpeg
    IMG_3897.jpeg
    133.6 KB · Views: 337
  • IMG_3899.jpeg
    IMG_3899.jpeg
    126.5 KB · Views: 343
  • IMG_3902.jpeg
    IMG_3902.jpeg
    110.3 KB · Views: 325
  • IMG_3898.jpeg
    IMG_3898.jpeg
    123.2 KB · Views: 321
Last edited:
I am a very recent (and proud) owner of a TESLA Model S P85D.

My son who just graduated as bio-engineer convinced me after long discussions of the advantages of an EV.

Beside the global debate, I must confess that the visit of the retail center and the ride with the precise car just convinced me in few minutes. Ok, the insane mode is not totally stranger to it, but anyway ;)

After a few weeks of riding this electric catapult :cool: I am really satisfied so far. This is just science-fiction on the road.

Here are two pictures shot when we did the test ride (on the right you can see my previous gasoline rocket) :

Take care

20040507164824352616726693.jpg

20040507154124352616726690.jpg

Took delivery of my 2020 Model S LR from Kansas City yesterday and drove back to Arkansas. Very pleased overall, a good delivery experience. A few niggles to sort out but will get those done in the next few weeks. Got to try the supercharger at Joplin on the way back as well. It worked fine but was next to an abandoned hotel that looked like a scene from the Walking Dead.
View attachment 478064View attachment 478065View attachment 478066
Those wheels look better than the new standard wheels.

Last edited: