Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Owners delivery stories, photos and first impressions

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
A note to cold climate owners. The windshield washer liquid is likely that watery stuff they put in it in California. We ran it out and replaced it with the good, low temperature stuff. I would recommend doing this.

If it's like the stuff we get in Texas, an ice cube only needs to be within a three block radius to freeze the fluid.

A note to cold climate owners. The windshield washer liquid is likely that watery stuff they put in it in California. We ran it out and replaced it with the good, low temperature stuff. I would recommend doing this.

Yeah, they put the same crap in my Roadster - basically water. I made a point of changing it before the cold weather set in. My Ranger later told me he'd had to fix a couple of cars whose owners hadn't thought of that - it froze solid.

Yeah, they put the same crap in my Roadster - basically water. I made a point of changing it before the cold weather set in. My Ranger later told me he'd had to fix a couple of cars whose owners hadn't thought of that - it froze solid.

Yeah, in our Roadster it froze solid. Luckily it didn't break anything, just popped the cap.

Oh, much better analogy on the acceleration is that the Roadster is like a wild stallion, while the Model S is like a fine racing thoroughbred:)

I just showed the car (and let one person drive) the Model S to two friends who aren't into EVs at all. They loved the car, the acceleration and actually commented about how nice the fit and finish was without me asking them about it. I'm not sure they're looking to buy anything like the Model S but for a more objective view, it was nice to hear.

As stated, Bluetooth will work fine, although you get no playlists, just all the songs.

Just to clarify, playlists work fine via Bluetooth, you just have to select them on the phone first. Skipping forward and backwards in a playlist using the steering wheel shortcuts works too. One other thing I noticed is that certain positions in the floor console seem to interfere with the Bluetooth signal, at least on my iPhone 4S. This leads to cutouts. Move the phone up (like to the seat), no issue, and the cutouts go away. I hope the opportunity consoles take Bluetooth interference into account.

- - - Updated - - -

My Ranger later told me he'd had to fix a couple of cars whose owners hadn't thought of that - it froze solid.

At the first repair because of this, Tesla should have immediately changed the default to real windshield washer fluid. Hopefully they did that for the Model S. What advantage could there be to not doing that? Is fake washer fluid substantially cheaper than the real stuff?

Just to clarify, playlists work fine via Bluetooth, you just have to select them on the phone first. ...

At the first repair because of this, Tesla should have immediately changed the default to real windshield washer fluid. Hopefully they did that for the Model S. What advantage could there be to not doing that? Is fake washer fluid substantially cheaper than the real stuff?

Thank you! I don't know why I didn't try that:(. Seems obvious now.

I think what they had been putting into was 'real'. It is just that in MN even the real stuff will freeze solid. We typically use this purple or even pink stuff rated for -35f.

No, but just try to get real washer fluid in Texas or Southern California. It's really not possible. When I travel to Nebraska in the winter I have to drain the fluid before I leave and hope I don't need it till I get there so I can put the real stuff in.

No, but just try to get real washer fluid in Texas or Southern California. It's really not possible. When I travel to Nebraska in the winter I have to drain the fluid before I leave and hope I don't need it till I get there so I can put the real stuff in.

Nobody should discount the fact that Tesla is a California company staffed mostly by California natives, many educated at Stanford. It's entirely possible that the person responsible for purchasing the washer fluid doesn't even know that there are alternative "real" washing fluid choices. Most folks in Los Angeles or San Francisco will look at you with a blank expression when you bring this issue up :)

If the Model S had been designed in Russia, I have no doubt that the it would have extremely tall and thin tires to go along with its smooth, sleigh like undercarriage, so that it could handle the huge snowdrifts you encounter while working your way across the Russian plains in winter. And the washer fluid would no doubt be blue or pink dyed Vodka . . .

If the Model S had been designed in Russia, I have no doubt that the it would have extremely tall and thin tires to go along with its smooth, sleigh like undercarriage, so that it could handle the huge snowdrifts you encounter while working your way across the Russian plains in winter.

Now that's a conversion kit worth having.

Fun event that made my day yesterday!
My wife and I are out driving and pull up to a stop light. Car beside us pulls up with three younger guys, honks and the passenger motions me to roll down the window.
I do and the driver excitedly asks what kind of car I am driving. I grin and respond it is a Tesla Model S. He exclaims "You are the coolest f#*%ing man on the planet!"
I laughed so hard, thanked him very much and told him he made my day:). Of course, I have to thank everyone at Tesla, the early Roadster owners, early Model S adopters (everyone who has placed an order), all the Tesla employees and of course, the man who is truly to coolest f#*%ing man on the planet, Elon.
But I don't mind taking the brunt of the public's appreciation;-)

Fun event that made my day yesterday!
My wife and I are out driving and pull up to a stop light. Car beside us pulls up with three younger guys, honks and the passenger motions me to roll down the window.
I do and the driver excitedly asks what kind of car I am driving. I grin and respond it is a Tesla Model S. He exclaims "You are the coolest f#*%ing man on the planet!"
I laughed so hard, thanked him very much and told him he made my day:). Of course, I have to thank everyone at Tesla, the early Roadster owners, early Model S adopters (everyone who has placed an order), all the Tesla employees and of course, the man who is truly to coolest f#*%ing man on the planet, Elon.
But I don't mind taking the brunt of the public's appreciation;-)

I hope you were able to burn him off the line, as a curiosity.