Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Owners delivery stories, photos and first impressions

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
First drive: Simply stunning! My garage has some of the best toys including a stage 3 997 TT and I have to tell you I'm thrilled with my wife's new P85D, it is every bit as enjoyable to drive as any good sports sedan. I taught her how to leave it in "insane mode" as this seems to be the standard means of travel in these first few days. You know I have to say that rarely do I challenge another car in my TT, it just seems a bit to over the top and showboating given the HP etc. But in the Tesla, I find myself consistently coming off the line as if every light is a race....its just awesome. An absolute technological marvel and a real "in your face" to the big auto companies. I'm not ready to throw out the Porsche but we have clearly crossed the bridge and I'm sure that in this family, the cars of the future will all be electric. Did I say Amazing :)

First drive: Simply stunning! My garage has some of the best toys including a stage 3 997 TT and I have to tell you I'm thrilled with my wife's new P85D, it is every bit as enjoyable to drive as any good sports sedan. I taught her how to leave it in "insane mode" as this seems to be the standard means of travel in these first few days. You know I have to say that rarely do I challenge another car in my TT, it just seems a bit to over the top and showboating given the HP etc. But in the Tesla, I find myself consistently coming off the line as if every light is a race....its just awesome. An absolute technological marvel and a real "in your face" to the big auto companies. I'm not ready to throw out the Porsche but we have clearly crossed the bridge and I'm sure that in this family, the cars of the future will all be electric. Did I say Amazing :)

Congrats! How many Tesla's are there in Thailand?

500 miles so far in the first 24 hrs, 2 super charge visits, one Blink charge, took her to 95% and down to 15 mile remaining :) everything working great. We drove down to Portland, using TACC made the trip through I5 (Fife to JBLM on Friday night) 10 times better than the last time we did the trip with our ICE. LOVE the car so far, the 0-60 grins are just as big as I would expect even though she is not the "P".

Picked her up yesterday. Immediately switched out OEM 19"s for the Tsportline wheels.

I previously was a "If it gets me from point A to point B" kind of guy.....no longer. Never knew I could love a car so much. Of course, it can't compare to my 3 year old's chalk art.

IMG_20150425_191531963.jpg

After having ordered the S85 last July and then changing to the 85D in October, the wait finally ended on April 8th. Since then I've been too busy to even join the forum or post a picture! Here she is in all her glory on the Sea-to-Sky highway heading up for my first supercharger experience.

20150408_181250_resized.jpg

85D/Black/Pano/Tech/Air/Matte Obeche ICE: 1999 4Runner with 400,000 kms

Nope, the 120A current and lower voltage is the problem. You'll never get 50kW.

44kW is about the max.

The specs on the adapter say 125A and I actually got that from two Efacec stations in the Kansas City area. Locally, the AddEnergie units are providing 122A-123A.

- - - Updated - - -

Of course, it (the car) can't compare to my 3 year old's chalk art.

Great photo. I agree about the art, but the beauty is that you don't have to worry about oil leaks ruining it.

Howdy. I've been a mostly-lurker for the past few months.

This afternoon I took delivery of my brand new S85D (VIN 82034, silver, 19", grey leather, obeche, black alcantara, tech with autopilot, air) at Fremont, after ordering on Pi day (3/14/15), auto confirming 3/21, production start 4/17, production complete 4/22. I delayed pick-up by about a week to fit my schedule.

We did the factory tour. Since it was a Saturday, the lines weren't running but we could still see cars on the line. Our tour guide was making a point about how agile the production lines are, and pointed out an RHD car sandwiched in between LHD cars, and the cars were all mixes of colors (not batched). Very impressive.

Delivery and paperwork were pretty painless, and our delivery person was pleasant and knowledgeable, despite only being on the job for a month.

We didn't get nearly as many free Tesla goodies as I've seen in the "What Swag did Tesla give you at delivery?" thread (we got the leather fob covers and a couple ballcaps). Not a big deal in the long run I suppose.

The funniest (?!?) part was after they moved the car outside so we could drive it away. In the ten minutes it was out of our sight, a bird pooped on the frunk, windshield, and roof! We had to have our delivery guy come back out and clean it up before we could leave. He said that's never happened before.

Traffic was abysmally congested on I-880 as we left the factory, but that allowed me to use the hypermiling skills I've been practicing on my Prius the past ten years, so I wound up with a first drive averaging 290 Wh/mile. So far, having a great time with the car. Tomorrow I get to tweak all the settings and get a little more used to driving it.

I really appreciate everyone who's taken the time to post useful info here on TMC. Reading all these posts has been quite an education about the Model S in particular and driving in general. I hope to be able to contribute back if and when I have something useful to say.

As an aside, my 8-year-old car nut son really really really wanted a P85D, but I managed to talk him out of it. His idea of good alternatives for the Model S were the McLaren P1 or the LaFerrari, neither of which really fall in the "family car" category (the S85D replaces the aforementioned Prius).

After a long, self-inflicted wait, I finally received my P85D last Thursday! I put I good 400km on the car over the weekend just to get acquainted before sending it to the shop for a full Xpel wrap and tint.

I test drove a P85 in the fall so I had a pretty good idea of how the car works. Even so, I'm very impressed with the car.

The acceleration is awesome. So much has been said about the 0-60 time that I don't really need to add to it other than to say it lived up to the hype. Actually I will say one thing. I might have given my buddy whiplash gunning it from about 40km/hr when I accelerated unexpectedly at the behest of the car beside me. His neck was sore the rest of the night. I should probably call him to see how he is doing.

I LOVE the sound of the car. It was really weird watching the car get unloaded from the truck. It just makes no noise. I got a real kick out of that.

Driving around the city the whir of the electric motors makes me feel like I'm in a spaceship. I am pleasantly surprised at how well the car rides on the 21" rims. It has just the right amount of stiffness to be sporty. I generally like a stiffer ride but my wife does not. This is the only car I've owned where we are both happy about the ride comfort. The car is also very stable and feels very well planted on the ground. It does everything with ease and does it instantaneously. I have been driving with extra care though to make sure I don't switch lanes into the blindspots of fellow drivers. Being such a fast and quiet car I can see people being completely oblivious to where I am.

The auto-raising of the suspension when I get home is a very nice touch. As is the iPhone app for climate control. Both much more useful than I anticipated and probably even more valuable in the winter.

Everyone that sits in my car is impressed with the "huge" touchscreen. I'm impressed with how intuitive it is. Setting everything up was a breeze. Initially I had concerns that it would be difficult/annoying to access things like homelink. I do find things like opening the trunk to be slightly annoying but so far it is a small price to pay for the overall sleekness of the system.

Interior storage is lacking though. The two cup holders and the little slot under the touchscreen is a little too minimalist for me. A couple more little storage compartments and more cup holders would be nice. I do like the space between the front seats though. The yacht flooring is nice as well.

Range has not been anywhere close to an issue. I've had plenty of range even as I drove well above my daily average. It's nice to wake up every morning with a "full tank".

I don't have the staggered wheels and I don't know how I feel about that. I personally love the aggressive look of a staggered setup but I do understand that the non-staggered setup is more practical. Obviously the extra grip of wider rear tires is a non-issue with these cars but it just looks so nice. It seems a little odd to have such skinny rear tires when you look at the car directly from the back.

Overall, very happy with my purchase and it's just going to get better with OTA updates!

After a long, self-inflicted wait, I finally received my P85D last Thursday! I put I good 400km on the car over the weekend just to get acquainted before sending it to the shop for a full Xpel wrap and tint.

I test drove a P85 in the fall so I had a pretty good idea of how the car works. Even so, I'm very impressed with the car.

The acceleration is awesome. So much has been said about the 0-60 time that I don't really need to add to it other than to say it lived up to the hype. Actually I will say one thing. I might have given my buddy whiplash gunning it from about 40km/hr when I accelerated unexpectedly at the behest of the car beside me. His neck was sore the rest of the night. I should probably call him to see how he is doing.

I LOVE the sound of the car. It was really weird watching the car get unloaded from the truck. It just makes no noise. I got a real kick out of that.

Driving around the city the whir of the electric motors makes me feel like I'm in a spaceship. I am pleasantly surprised at how well the car rides on the 21" rims. It has just the right amount of stiffness to be sporty. I generally like a stiffer ride but my wife does not. This is the only car I've owned where we are both happy about the ride comfort. The car is also very stable and feels very well planted on the ground. It does everything with ease and does it instantaneously. I have been driving with extra care though to make sure I don't switch lanes into the blindspots of fellow drivers. Being such a fast and quiet car I can see people being completely oblivious to where I am.

The auto-raising of the suspension when I get home is a very nice touch. As is the iPhone app for climate control. Both much more useful than I anticipated and probably even more valuable in the winter.

Everyone that sits in my car is impressed with the "huge" touchscreen. I'm impressed with how intuitive it is. Setting everything up was a breeze. Initially I had concerns that it would be difficult/annoying to access things like homelink. I do find things like opening the trunk to be slightly annoying but so far it is a small price to pay for the overall sleekness of the system.

Interior storage is lacking though. The two cup holders and the little slot under the touchscreen is a little too minimalist for me. A couple more little storage compartments and more cup holders would be nice. I do like the space between the front seats though. The yacht flooring is nice as well.

Range has not been anywhere close to an issue. I've had plenty of range even as I drove well above my daily average. It's nice to wake up every morning with a "full tank".

I don't have the staggered wheels and I don't know how I feel about that. I personally love the aggressive look of a staggered setup but I do understand that the non-staggered setup is more practical. Obviously the extra grip of wider rear tires is a non-issue with these cars but it just looks so nice. It seems a little odd to have such skinny rear tires when you look at the car directly from the back.

Overall, very happy with my purchase and it's just going to get better with OTA updates!

Congrats!

Btw did you get the standard audio system? If so, is it sufficient?

We did the factory tour. Since it was a Saturday, the lines weren't running but we could still see cars on the line. Our tour guide was making a point about how agile the production lines are, and pointed out an RHD car sandwiched in between LHD cars, and the cars were all mixes of colors (not batched). Very impressive.
Congrats on your car, wonder if you ask if factory operates on 3 or 2 shift schedule, looks like they don't do any work on weekends. Is the production level about 2500 cars per week?
http://my.teslamotors.com/forum/for...fremont-will-be-least-2500-after-upgrade-body