Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Owners Manual Crashes Model Y Software?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Why does viewing the Owners Manual Inside my Tesla Model Y Dual Motor Crash the software?
What if I am driving, my passenger opens the Owners Manual and the software crashes and reboots the car?
Will the steering freeze up Etc.?
Here is what causes issue and symptoms:

While in car, car Not started or Car Started and in Park:
Open Owners manual. Select any category (I selected Charging)
Owners manual goes to selected category but NO text is displayed.
Close the manual window (click the X ) or sometimes after a while (a minute or so)
The display screen freezes ( touching anywhere does nothing) and the Manual sub window goes to gray.
After a few seconds: The car Fans go to full speed, The AC goes to full cool (cold air blowing hard)
Lots of other weird things (lights Etc.)
This lasts for a while (10- 30 seconds or more)
The Screen goes to full black
After a while longer (10- 30 seconds) the lights go on, the screen shows only the Tesla "T"
Then a while later the Car comes back to where it was (Powered on in Park or just display on and not in driving mode)

This occurred on the previous software revision also. An agent told me to do the both scroll wheel reset. That seemed to fix the issue that time only.

Then I received the latest update 2021.4.18.10. Same problem. Both Scroll Button Reset does not cure issue. Power Off and wait 2 minutes +. Does not cure the issue.

Reactions: jsvietor
I sincerely not trying to be rude. However I don't understand the need to bring up the manual on the screen. Perhaps once or twice for curiosity sake. But if it reboots the computer, why keep doing it?

If you want to have the manual nearby and refers to it for using the car, keep the paper manual in the glove box. I save a copy of the manual PDF to my phone so I have access to it that way.

• Disagree
Reactions: cbo111
Upvote 0
I sincerely not trying to be rude. However I don't understand the need to bring up the manual on the screen. Perhaps once or twice for curiosity sake. But if it reboots the computer, why keep doing it?

If you want to have the manual nearby and refers to it for using the car, keep the paper manual in the glove box. I save a copy of the manual PDF to my phone so I have access to it that way.
Because we are new with Tesla, and me or my wife want to learn while the other is driving. Yes, I could keep manual in phone or hard copy (Your are kidding of course) but - not to be rude back - This is a software bug and should be fixed. IMHO a $65K car should NOT have a simple stupid bug like this. Yep, I will definitely NOT open the manual while driving - I could be one of the big news items - "Tesla crashes on freeway while passenger viewing manual!" Tesla needs to fix it!

Upvote 0

I had the same exact issue as the OP today (did it for the first time, just got the car this week). I wanted to see if the significantly out of date downloadable owners manual is superseded by the one available on the screen. It turns out that after getting frost bite from the AC going nuts, and re-booting the screen I was able to get into the owners manual, and lo and behold it IS updated with the latest information on the wireless charging pad, new center console, heated steering wheel etc. They need to make THIS manual downloadable... then I will print it out at work and keep it in my shallow trunk storage area :)

Keith

PS: Tesla will never have a good reputation when it has system crashes like this. The solution isn't "don't use the on screen owners manual" the solution is for Tesla to fix the software!

Upvote 0
PS: Tesla will never have a good reputation when it has system crashes like this. The solution isn't "don't use the on screen owners manual" the solution is for Tesla to fix the software!
The solution are both. Tesla needs to fix the crash and in the meantime, don’t open it unless you want a reboot. They aren’t mutually exclusive options.

Reactions: Rdriver
Upvote 0
The owner's manual is horribly behind, too. It doesnt give any instructions on how to use the 3rd row. Yes, you could figure it out, but it SHOULD be in the owners manual. I cant believe they actually made the car and didnt pay a guy for a week of work (maybe a couple weeks... reviews and what not) to add 3rd row information in the manual.

Its pretty annoying. Also, they tell you to rotate your tires, but dont give a pattern to do it in. Sure, again, I can figure it out, but in EVERY car I've ever owned, from Miata's to Cadillacs, they all tell you how to do basic stuff like maintain the car... use all of the systems, etc.

Another minor gripe with the display is you cant control the 3rd row seat heaters. You can only do it from the phone app... serisouly. Now its not winter, so its not an issue "yet", but c'mon, this is some basic stuff. All of which can be fixed with a simple software update, but it hasnt been yet and the 3rd row version of the MY has been out for >6mos.

Reactions: aspushkin
Upvote 0
I have a 2021 Model Y and have the same problem. On contacting service they treat me like I don’t know what I’m doing which is true and suggest I find another way to use the manual. I had it happen again a couple days ago while driving and yes the car worked but I had no info including speed. I had been waiting for someone and thot I’d read the manual. I left it with the car trying to download the manual. While driving away I closed the Manual screen and the car did its thing like described by others. I’m glad to hear others are having the same issue so I don’t think it’s all my fault. Why doesn’t Tesla fix it?
Bob

Reactions: bruce4000
Upvote 0
I've had this happen 3-4 times since 6/12. :mad: I've had to do a soft reset for each of these events.

The service tech could not replicate at mobile appointment, but said if it happens again, give voice command "report bug" (press right steering wheel control) and then place a service request with details of what you were doing/looking at for this. This will allow them to capture the information your SC will see that report and review the bug issues. They can push to Tesla with issues.

Reactions: JerseyShoreMY
Upvote 0
Why does viewing the Owners Manual Inside my Tesla Model Y Dual Motor Crash the software?
What if I am driving, my passenger opens the Owners Manual and the software crashes and reboots the car?
Will the steering freeze up Etc.?
Here is what causes issue and symptoms:

While in car, car Not started or Car Started and in Park:
Open Owners manual. Select any category (I selected Charging)
Owners manual goes to selected category but NO text is displayed.
Close the manual window (click the X ) or sometimes after a while (a minute or so)
The display screen freezes ( touching anywhere does nothing) and the Manual sub window goes to gray.
After a few seconds: The car Fans go to full speed, The AC goes to full cool (cold air blowing hard)
Lots of other weird things (lights Etc.)
This lasts for a while (10- 30 seconds or more)
The Screen goes to full black
After a while longer (10- 30 seconds) the lights go on, the screen shows only the Tesla "T"
Then a while later the Car comes back to where it was (Powered on in Park or just display on and not in driving mode)

This occurred on the previous software revision also. An agent told me to do the both scroll wheel reset. That seemed to fix the issue that time only.

Then I received the latest update 2021.4.18.10. Same problem. Both Scroll Button Reset does not cure issue. Power Off and wait 2 minutes +. Does not cure the issue.
Another symptom: I took a 20 mile drive and the manual began to work but browser still does not open (address bar never shows up - like the app is not loading).

Upvote 0
I created service request. After several false starts, the SC responded with "This is a known bug and will be fixed in the future" Finally (I think) this is being addressed by Tesla.

In summary it is interesting to view all the comments in this and other posts. The "Praise god Tesla" owners say to ignore it, no big deal, or that we who mention the issue and are concerned are just being whiners - that perhaps we should not own a Tesla. If you have been around Tesla for a while it seems that you just live with these things. OK, so you know how the car works - good for you - however it scares the Sh## out of some new owners.
Suggestion to Tesla (or the staff of this forum): Create a list of known bugs and the impact of the bug and what the owner should expect. I, like most new owners, did not know this "reboot" might occur. I also did not know that the bug is not going to disable the basic driving functions so not to panic if it happens while driving.
PS I really like my new Tesla MY - even better than I expected when I placed my order. Tesla support and sales persons are the greatest. I would not trade if for any other EV now and based on future EV cars - would not wait for the so called competition's "catchup EVs" And, even if I knew this bug existed at the time of my purchase, I would not have canceled my order - Duh!

Reactions: JerseyShoreMY
Upvote 0
I created service request. After several false starts, the SC responded with "This is a known bug and will be fixed in the future" Finally (I think) this is being addressed by Tesla.

In summary it is interesting to view all the comments in this and other posts. The "Praise god Tesla" owners say to ignore it, no big deal, or that we who mention the issue and are concerned are just being whiners - that perhaps we should not own a Tesla. If you have been around Tesla for a while it seems that you just live with these things. OK, so you know how the car works - good for you - however it scares the Sh## out of some new owners.
Suggestion to Tesla (or the staff of this forum): Create a list of known bugs and the impact of the bug and what the owner should expect. I, like most new owners, did not know this "reboot" might occur. I also did not know that the bug is not going to disable the basic driving functions so not to panic if it happens while driving.
PS I really like my new Tesla MY - even better than I expected when I placed my order. Tesla support and sales persons are the greatest. I would not trade if for any other EV now and based on future EV cars - would not wait for the so called competition's "catchup EVs" And, even if I knew this bug existed at the time of my purchase, I would not have canceled my order - Duh!
thank you

Upvote 0