Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Owners Manual Crashes Model Y Software?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Why does viewing the Owners Manual Inside my Tesla Model Y Dual Motor Crash the software?
What if I am driving, my passenger opens the Owners Manual and the software crashes and reboots the car?
Will the steering freeze up Etc.?
Here is what causes issue and symptoms:

While in car, car Not started or Car Started and in Park:
Open Owners manual. Select any category (I selected Charging)
Owners manual goes to selected category but NO text is displayed.
Close the manual window (click the X ) or sometimes after a while (a minute or so)
The display screen freezes ( touching anywhere does nothing) and the Manual sub window goes to gray.
After a few seconds: The car Fans go to full speed, The AC goes to full cool (cold air blowing hard)
Lots of other weird things (lights Etc.)
This lasts for a while (10- 30 seconds or more)
The Screen goes to full black
After a while longer (10- 30 seconds) the lights go on, the screen shows only the Tesla "T"
Then a while later the Car comes back to where it was (Powered on in Park or just display on and not in driving mode)

This occurred on the previous software revision also. An agent told me to do the both scroll wheel reset. That seemed to fix the issue that time only.

Then I received the latest update 2021.4.18.10. Same problem. Both Scroll Button Reset does not cure issue. Power Off and wait 2 minutes +. Does not cure the issue.

Reactions: jsvietor
Because we are new with Tesla, and me or my wife want to learn while the other is driving. Yes, I could keep manual in phone or hard copy (Your are kidding of course) but - not to be rude back - This is a software bug and should be fixed. IMHO a $65K car should NOT have a simple stupid bug like this. Yep, I will definitely NOT open the manual while driving - I could be one of the big news items - "Tesla crashes on freeway while passenger viewing manual!" Tesla needs to fix it!
Totally agree. Basic function so it should work flawlessly for an expensive, state-of-the-art car.

Upvote 0
Because we are new with Tesla, and me or my wife want to learn while the other is driving. Yes, I could keep manual in phone or hard copy (Your are kidding of course) but - not to be rude back - This is a software bug and should be fixed. IMHO a $65K car should NOT have a simple stupid bug like this. Yep, I will definitely NOT open the manual while driving - I could be one of the big news items - "Tesla crashes on freeway while passenger viewing manual!" Tesla needs to fix it!
The vehicles shouldn't phantom break either, but sometimes complex issues require complex solutions that take time, your frustrated but it really isn't as simple as Tesla just "fixing it"

Reactions: AlexHung
Upvote 0
Same thing happened last week, as far as the guy that said why would you us the on-screen manual, well it’s right there, why would I need to stuff more papers in my glove box and it’s our preference to look up things on the screen, I happen to be looking for the opening the hood with out power info for another thread. Anyways I rebooted the computer and the on-screen manual worked fine.

Fred

Upvote 0
Received 2021.4.21.3 in my MYLR. I spent an hour playing with the display (read manual, open websites, etc.) and have not been able to reproduce the display freezing and reboot issue.
Has anyone seen this bug in the 2021.4.21.3 update? Is it fixed or or have I just not hit the right combination of things? Jeez, anyone at Tesla know the real answer?

Upvote 0
I agree with you .. Today I had the same issue ... And after that the media sound didn't work anymore

Upvote 0
2021.4.21.3 updated a few weeks ago. After reading thru this issue, remembered that our manual crashed the software before. Tried the manual access again 2 days ago just as a test! Test failed, software crashed.
Then next day, our MY UI crashed while driving. The streaming media went off first, then the turn signals failed, screen locked next and was frozen on 16 MPH. Then went black. Steering and brakes worked all the time.
Pulled off the road and parked right away. The system then self reset. We did not force.
Driving AP was raw compared to prior to the software crash. Seems like stored AI is lost when this happens.
Today we ran the car 100 miles with lots of highway and not a glitch with AP or TACC.
Summary: Issue does not seem to be clearly fixed on this update. Hope for another software update soon for our Tesla-Vision MY!

Upvote 0
When I tried to acces my manual soon after taking delivery it crashed and the screen started doing weird things. Window after window would open and I could not close them Luckily I knew about the reboot by pressing both scroll wheels and was able to reset. After the reset, the screen was still acting up. I thought it would settle down and left it for the next day. No change the next day, so I did another reset. That time it seemed to settle the screen down. When I tried to access the manual again, it did the same thing. So I reset for the third time. After that the screen was fine but I decided not to touch the owner's manual anymore. A side effect of the multiple resetting, is it stopped a loud humming noise that was running continuously all the time regardless if the car was being used or not and had a phantom energy drain. This is an issue in another thread. I have had my car over a month now and still not software update, so no idea if that will fix the owner's manual issue. I do have an issue of dashcam not recording and am not sure if it was a result of the multiple resets. .

• Informative
Reactions: JerseyShoreMY
Upvote 0
The owners manual crashed my monitor yesterday several times while trying to find out why the psi monitor doesn’t reset itself after re-filling tires. So 2 questions here: why does the manual not show up given the latest software upgrade? And, why won’t the psi tire monitor reset after filling the tires to the 42 psi recommended?

Upvote 0
I sincerely not trying to be rude. However I don't understand the need to bring up the manual on the screen. Perhaps once or twice for curiosity sake. But if it reboots the computer, why keep doing it?

If you want to have the manual nearby and refers to it for using the car, keep the paper manual in the glove box. I save a copy of the manual PDF to my phone so I have access to it that way.
Though I'm also sincerely not trying to be rude, I'm filing this away for when someone complains that their A/C doesn't work so I can chime in, "Who needs A/C? roll down your windows and keep a bucket of ice in the back seat."

Reactions: cbo111
Upvote 0
Why does viewing the Owners Manual Inside my Tesla Model Y Dual Motor Crash the software?
What if I am driving, my passenger opens the Owners Manual and the software crashes and reboots the car?
Will the steering freeze up Etc.?
Here is what causes issue and symptoms:

While in car, car Not started or Car Started and in Park:
Open Owners manual. Select any category (I selected Charging)
Owners manual goes to selected category but NO text is displayed.
Close the manual window (click the X ) or sometimes after a while (a minute or so)
The display screen freezes ( touching anywhere does nothing) and the Manual sub window goes to gray.
After a few seconds: The car Fans go to full speed, The AC goes to full cool (cold air blowing hard)
Lots of other weird things (lights Etc.)
This lasts for a while (10- 30 seconds or more)
The Screen goes to full black
After a while longer (10- 30 seconds) the lights go on, the screen shows only the Tesla "T"
Then a while later the Car comes back to where it was (Powered on in Park or just display on and not in driving mode)

This occurred on the previous software revision also. An agent told me to do the both scroll wheel reset. That seemed to fix the issue that time only.

Then I received the latest update 2021.4.18.10. Same problem. Both Scroll Button Reset does not cure issue. Power Off and wait 2 minutes +. Does not cure the issue.
If you want to get Tesla's attention file a report with NHTSA: Report a Safety Problem | NHTSA The OEM will be required to respond to the Adminstration.

Upvote 0