Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Owners Manual crashes Tesla's computer

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Haven't seen this bug yet. Let me know if it's something known. When I try to open Software -> Owner's Manual and open anything in it, I see no manual, but instead the screen freezes and the AC starts to blow at full speed. Two-button reset or existing and closing the car help. I reproduced this several times. Basically, I can't open the Owner's Manual at all, and it crashes the computer. Am I alone?
Same here except I haven't tried to read the manual bug. I rebooted the car because the web browser had frozen, then the car did a factory reset...FML lost everything, it had to re-download the latest map, I had to re-input everything. It still doesn't like accepting an address that I want to go to without crashing the address bar. I'm on 2021.4.18.2 on my 2019 SR+ w/FSD (2wks)

Same here except I haven't tried to read the manual bug. I rebooted the car because the web browser had frozen, then the car did a factory reset...FML lost everything, it had to re-download the latest map, I had to re-input everything. It still doesn't like accepting an address that I want to go to without crashing the address bar. I'm on 2021.4.18.2 on my 2019 SR+ w/FSD (2wks)
I always felt that the in car manual uses the browser engine.

I always felt that the in car manual uses the browser engine.
Maybe a version of it? Dunno, the browser is pretty full screen if I remember correctly and the manual was smaller but I could be wrong. Either way everything is gone, funny thing though is the car new it was Monday and I left at the normal time so it auto-navigated to work as if nothing happened....this f-ing car I swear!

1st post and new 2021 Tesla Model 3 LR owner. This exact thing happened to me when I picked up my M3 on Friday (6/25). I wanted to browse the owners manual at home and it was blank, A/C went full blast, so I did the two button reboot (thanks YouTube). I was some what freaking out since I just spent $63k on a Tesla and it appears my car had a computer glitch. Fast forward to today (6/28) and went into the owners manual again...same thing...no information, full A/C but this time the computer rebooted on its own (I've added to the ever increasing service report). What is strange is my firmware version is "older" 2021.3.103 although I can't update it.

1st post and new 2021 Tesla Model 3 LR owner. This exact thing happened to me when I picked up my M3 on Friday (6/25). I wanted to browse the owners manual at home and it was blank, A/C went full blast, so I did the two button reboot (thanks YouTube). I was some what freaking out since I just spent $63k on a Tesla and it appears my car had a computer glitch. Fast forward to today (6/28) and went into the owners manual again...same thing...no information, full A/C but this time the computer rebooted on its own (I've added to the ever increasing service report). What is strange is my firmware version is "older" 2021.3.103 although I can't update it.
So here's the manual, you don't HAVE to read it on the screen in the car. It's just web based. Model 3 Manual

Don't bother adding the glitch in the service report, they won't do anything. Just make sure they fix the other stuff whatever it may be, body panel alignments, etc.

As to your software version, after a few weeks your car will speak to the mothership (server) and you'll receive an update to the latest and greatest. There's no way to FORCE this to happen. Just enjoy your new car, switch the energy usage to % instead of miles, that will alleviate range anxiety. Enjoy the skinny pedal and I wouldn't worry about anything else on this thread just yet if I were you.

Haven't seen this bug yet. Let me know if it's something known. When I try to open Software -> Owner's Manual and open anything in it, I see no manual, but instead the screen freezes and the AC starts to blow at full speed. Two-button reset or existing and closing the car help. I reproduced this several times. Basically, I can't open the Owner's Manual at all, and it crashes the computer. Am I alone?
Same thing happens to me. Screen freezes, goes gray, and eventually reboots.

Reassuring to know I am not alone on this. It did prompt a question for me though. Accepting that one does not try to read the owners manual while driving, never-the-less, what happens if the software decides it wants to crash while I am driving? Does that cause a double crash?

Happens to me everything

Reassuring to know I am not alone on this. It did prompt a question for me though. Accepting that one does not try to read the owners manual while driving, never-the-less, what happens if the software decides it wants to crash while I am driving? Does that cause a double crash?
You can still drive the car if the screen crashes/reboots whatever. You can actually reboot the screen while driving, it’ll very much concern your passengers but it’s completely safe to do.

You can still drive the car if the screen crashes/reboots whatever. You can actually reboot the screen while driving, it’ll very much concern your passengers but it’s completely safe to do.
Not safe if you need to move in reverse. Not safe if you are trying to abide by speed limits and have poor feeling of speed. Also, I am not sure if the car safety features are functional during the reboot. As an example, I was on AutoPilot when this happened to me, and I was borderline panicking about what the car is going to do because I had no clue if I am still on the AutoPilot.

Any computer/UI shutdown is NOT normal. This should not be ignored if the issue can be reproduced. Next time this problem comes back on my car and I can reproduce it, I will make an appointment with Tesla, so this gets on their record of complains. They can fix it, and they should fix it. I also think we all should report it to NHTSA. Based on the fact that so many of you reporting the exact same issue here, we should conclude that Tesla is either unaware of the issue or they have little motivation to care about it.

Not safe if you need to move in reverse. Not safe if you are trying to abide by speed limits and have poor feeling of speed. Also, I am not sure if the car safety features are functional during the reboot. As an example, I was on AutoPilot when this happened to me, and I was borderline panicking about what the car is going to do because I had no clue if I am still on the AutoPilot.

Any computer/UI shutdown is NOT normal. This should not be ignored if the issue can be reproduced. Next time this problem comes back on my car and I can reproduce it, I will make an appointment with Tesla, so this gets on their record of complains. They can fix it, and they should fix it. I also think we all should report it to NHTSA. Based on the fact that so many of you reporting the exact same issue here, we should conclude that Tesla is either unaware of the issue or they have little motivation to care about it.
I think you're over estimating the issue with that response. You can totally use reverse, use your mirrors.

It's safe to reboot the screen while driving, period. If the driver cannot keep speed with th vehicles around them then they shouldn't be driving. I personally do not know if AP will continue work while in a reboot but just tug the wheel a bit and see if it's still keeping you centered in the lane... again, not that big of a deal.

Feel free to complain to the NHTSA, you'll get a canned response of "we don't care unless someone dies". Tesla's are computers that HAPPEN to have wheels.

Last edited:
I had the same issue, but while I was driving!! Passenger searched through the owner's manual while I was driving, screen froze and AC maxed out. I was still able to drive the car but info on the screen was all stuck, but I had to pull over and park and the screen rebooted itself.
Good to know you can still drive without a crash. Stupid bug should be fixed. Un-acceptable for a $60K car.

This happened to me while driving the other night. We took delivery on 6/21 and this happened on 7/2. While driving my Model 3 the other night, my wife tried to access the owners manual from the touch screen, which caused the screen to lock up and the a/c blower increased to full volume. The screen reset after a minute or so and then went back to normal. It happened a second time when she made another attempt. Is this a cause for concern? Is there a fix?
Thanks
George

This happened to me while driving the other night. We took delivery on 6/21 and this happened on 7/2. While driving my Model 3 the other night, my wife tried to access the owners manual from the touch screen, which caused the screen to lock up and the a/c blower increased to full volume. The screen reset after a minute or so and then went back to normal. It happened a second time when she made another attempt. Is this a cause for concern? Is there a fix?
Thanks
George
It's not really cause for concern beyond it's annoying as f*** but hopefully it's fixed in the next update. Software has bugs and when Tesla is constantly pushing forward they tend to make a mess. One possible way to avoid this is to change your update slider from Advanced to Standard.

The car is still safe to drive when the screen reboots. Brakes, Accelerator, Lights, blinkers too all work per usual. You can note the time/date it happened though and schedule an appt via the app but they'll most likely just push an update (maybe even the one you're already on) to your car. Nothing really to be done until a new update is released to fix bugs

Here's the webpage for the manual btw, Model 3 Manual

Just experienced this today. Brand new M3 SR+ running 2021.4.18.10

Same with me(MYLR, 18.2) My mobile service rep told me that if it occurs, to hit the right steering wheel button, say "report bug", then place a service appointment. He said that that lets them know to look at that information at the SC to see what the issue is or to report back to Tesla. The more that report, the more apt Tesla is to address it.