Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Owners Manual crashes Tesla's computer

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Haven't seen this bug yet. Let me know if it's something known. When I try to open Software -> Owner's Manual and open anything in it, I see no manual, but instead the screen freezes and the AC starts to blow at full speed. Two-button reset or existing and closing the car help. I reproduced this several times. Basically, I can't open the Owner's Manual at all, and it crashes the computer. Am I alone?
Same thing is happening to me repeatedly.

Reactions: cancoi
I can understand if it’s a new car to the person or waiting at a SuperCharger.

anyone else, 2021 Tesla Model 3 Owner’s Manual PDF | Manual Directory
Yes, sure, but the very existence of this software bug is not normal and potentially dangerous. A passenger may try to look at the manual and shut down the computer for instance. I was "driving" on Autopilot in a stop and slooowly go traffic on a street, and decided to checkout the manual ... to my surprise I didn't know what the car is doing the next moment when the computer shuts down but the car is on the Autopilot (? yes/no ?). It's okay with me if we have no Manual in the car, but if Tesla has it as a feature, it's better not be shutting down the computer.

Yes, sure, but the very existence of this software bug is not normal and potentially dangerous. A passenger may try to look at the manual and shut down the computer for instance. I was "driving" on Autopilot in a stop and slooowly go traffic on a street, and decided to checkout the manual ... to my surprise I didn't know what the car is doing the next moment when the computer shuts down but the car is on the Autopilot (? yes/no ?). It's okay with me if we have no Manual in the car, but if Tesla has it as a feature, it's better not be shutting down the computer.
Yeah, well, don’t RTFM while you are driving.

I get your point—the console crash sucks and can be scary. But I’m more scared of other drivers not keeping their eyes on the road than my in-car owner’s manual.

So when that happens you cancel AP like normal or turn the wheel enough to take over or tap the brake. The screen rebooting does not stop you from driving. If you feel the vehicle is unsafe you might want to change to something else

got my new model Y an hour ago and this is happening to me. What can I do?
I put in a service request in the "infotainment" area . I did and so far they asked me to change the language then back to English. Did not help! Other support persons asked me do do two button reset and turn off power and other things. Nothing solves the issue permanently - the bug keeps coming back. IMHO there are enough persons having this issue we ALL should enter a service request. Point out this post and the other posts so they see how many persons have the problem.
If this issue happens on the road while my wife is trying to read the manual the distraction of the screen going blank (especially for new users like you) could cause a panic and an accident.

I put in a service request in the "infotainment" area . I did and so far they asked me to change the language then back to English. Did not help! Other support persons asked me do do two button reset and turn off power and other things. Nothing solves the issue permanently - the bug keeps coming back. IMHO there are enough persons having this issue we ALL should enter a service request. Point out this post and the other posts so they see how many persons have the problem.
If this issue happens on the road while my wife is trying to read the manual the distraction of the screen going blank (especially for new users like you) could cause a panic and an accident.

I agree Tesla should fix this bug but it’s not a priority. If the screen going blank is enough of a distraction for a driver then they shouldn’t be driving. Don’t blow this up more than it needs to be. If your wife is like mine she’s a better driver than I am or at least has fewer speeding tickets.

Tesla Mobile isn’t a thing. The cars come with an AT&T sim for LTE cell service (in North America)... StarLink is a whole different thing (internet service) via a phased array antenna the size of an extra large pizza.

Reactions: Kevy Baby
I agree Tesla should fix this bug but it’s not a priority.
I disagree. I don't think it is a catastrophic safety issue, but the complete loss of all instrumentation in the car for 2 minutes or so and no HVAC control isn't a trivial safety issue either. And for those impacted its readily reproducible for Tesla to be able fix.

Haven't seen this bug yet. Let me know if it's something known. When I try to open Software -> Owner's Manual and open anything in it, I see no manual, but instead the screen freezes and the AC starts to blow at full speed. Two-button reset or existing and closing the car help. I reproduced this several times. Basically, I can't open the Owner's Manual at all, and it crashes the computer. Am I alone?
You’re not alone. Happens every time I try to access the manual…ridiculous!

I agree Tesla should fix this bug but it’s not a priority. If the screen going blank is enough of a distraction for a driver then they shouldn’t be driving. Don’t blow this up more than it needs to be. If your wife is like mine she’s a better driver than I am or at least has fewer speeding tickets.

Tesla Mobile isn’t a thing. The cars come with an AT&T sim for LTE cell service (in North America)... StarLink is a whole different thing (internet service) via a phased array antenna the size of an extra large pizza.
Are you kidding? The only feedback that the car gives is the screen, and having it go black for 30 seconds is dangerous and unacceptable for any car, let alone one in this price range. When the screen goes black the driver has no idea of what the car is doing, how fast it is going, if the safety features are working or not... no fuel level, radio, lights, signal indicator, check engine, odometer if the engine is on even. Everything is an assumption at that point as to how the car is supposed to function. I assume Tesla wouldn't put me in a position where I couldn't steer or stop, but how do I know? My screen just went black and the AC is on blast. You seem to have a lot of trust that if this happened once and you still could control the car, the next time it happened it still would do the same thing. What is the basis of that trust?

Any bug in any software package that caused a reboot, from a iPhone game to an enterprise package, would prioritize the patch, and would apologize for the release. This is a serious problem for a company that prides its self on its software.

Are you kidding? The only feedback that the car gives is the screen, and having it go black for 30 seconds is dangerous and unacceptable for any car, let alone one in this price range. When the screen goes black the driver has no idea of what the car is doing, how fast it is going, if the safety features are working or not... no fuel level, radio, lights, signal indicator, check engine, odometer if the engine is on even. Everything is an assumption at that point as to how the car is supposed to function. I assume Tesla wouldn't put me in a position where I couldn't steer or stop, but how do I know? My screen just went black and the AC is on blast. You seem to have a lot of trust that if this happened once and you still could control the car, the next time it happened it still would do the same thing. What is the basis of that trust?

Any bug in any software package that caused a reboot, from a iPhone game to an enterprise package, would prioritize the patch, and would apologize for the release. This is a serious problem for a company that prides its self on its software.
The basis is *drum roll* that I read the manual. And I'll post it one more time because apparently some people believe it can only be read via the car's screen. Maybe before trusting your life in a contraption that can KILL YOU, as you're so worried about, read the manual. I also have zero trust in members who have one post. Welcome to the forums. Lots of helpful info out there, like the link to the manual below. Please post any questions you have but it's highly suggested you throw it into Google first but not required.

Also, Apple would never apologize for a bug. Hell, Steve Jobs told us all that WE were the ones holding the phone wrong when people complained of crappy cell signal every time they picked up the iphone... gimme a break dude.

Reactions: alexgr

Well, I don't think this issue deserves that much dramatization to involve "fuel level". Teslas can be controlled independent of the UI computer by design, so there is no IF here. The issue is that one may not know HOW to control the car when the computer is down, and this might be understandably freaking scary for some. This issue should be fixable easily, but I don't know how to make Tesla aware enough to look in it.

I don't want to make light of the console crash when reading the in-car manual, but I think you're being a little melodramatic.

First, I wouldn't read the manual while driving.

If my console went out while my wife was reading the manual while I was driving, I'm sure I would have an idea what my car was doing, how fast it is going, my "fuel level", etc. I would pull over, and make sure the console reboot completes before proceeding.

I wouldn't use the in-car manual again while driving until I was assured this bug was fixed.

By all means, report it to Tesla. You can call their 877 number, or report it in your car. And you can report it to the NHTSA if you feel it is a safety defect. Details are in your manual (read it on your computer, though).

Reactions: Kevy Baby
If my console went out while my wife was reading the manual while I was driving, I'm sure I would have an idea what my car was doing, how fast it is going, my "fuel level", etc. I would pull over, and make sure the console reboot completes before proceeding.
You really don't need to pull over for a console reboot. I have done this several times while driving.

I wouldn't use the in-car manual again while driving until I was assured this bug was fixed.
Oh, fine, just be all logical and stuff :p

Reactions: Zinzan
The basis is *drum roll* that I read the manual. And I'll post it one more time because apparently some people believe it can only be read via the car's screen. Maybe before trusting your life in a contraption that can KILL YOU, as you're so worried about, read the manual. I also have zero trust in members who have one post. Welcome to the forums. Lots of helpful info out there, like the link to the manual below. Please post any questions you have but it's highly suggested you throw it into Google first but not required.

Also, Apple would never apologize for a bug. Hell, Steve Jobs told us all that WE were the ones holding the phone wrong when people complained of crappy cell signal every time they picked up the iphone... gimme a break dude.

I guess you only drive alone, and don't share your car. The issue came up as my son was looking at the manual, and then also again as I was loaning my car to someone and I realized that they might look at the manual.

I did talk to Tesla because I am freaked out that a car company who depends on their software would have this problem, and they talked me through the two button reboot. The power-off boot that I had tried hadn't worked originally. Problem seems to be fixed for now.

I am sorry I did not post here enough times to meet your high standards, but I did arrive here through a google search and found many others with my issue, so I would say that I am doing it right. I guess it is good that you are such a malcontent, that way you don't have to worry that there will be second person in the car with you to accidentally open the manual. BTW is your point about Steve Jobs that it is ok to release buggy software, or that it is not? My point was that it is commonly expected that a bug that freezes your device needs to be fixed ASAP, the more so when it is controlling a multi-ton vehicle. I would give you a break dude, but my car is rebooting, so I am just hoping for the best.

Reactions: alexgr
I guess you only drive alone, and don't share your car. The issue came up as my son was looking at the manual, and then also again as I was loaning my car to someone and I realized that they might look at the manual.

I did talk to Tesla because I am freaked out that a car company who depends on their software would have this problem, and they talked me through the two button reboot. The power-off boot that I had tried hadn't worked originally. Problem seems to be fixed for now.

I am sorry I did not post here enough times to meet your high standards, but I did arrive here through a google search and found many others with my issue, so I would say that I am doing it right. I guess it is good that you are such a malcontent, that way you don't have to worry that there will be second person in the car with you to accidentally open the manual. BTW is your point about Steve Jobs that it is ok to release buggy software, or that it is not? My point was that it is commonly expected that a bug that freezes your device needs to be fixed ASAP, the more so when it is controlling a multi-ton vehicle. I would give you a break dude, but my car is rebooting, so I am just hoping for the best.
This is an issue, but it is a relatively minor issue, look at the Mach-E issues and enjoy your Tesla. The manual should be fixed as it is clearly fixable, so I hope it is WHEN not IF it will be fixed. The faster the better though.

If this bug has you this spun up then maybe Tesla ownership isn't for you. Have a great rest of the week tho!