Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Owners Manual crashes Tesla's computer

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Haven't seen this bug yet. Let me know if it's something known. When I try to open Software -> Owner's Manual and open anything in it, I see no manual, but instead the screen freezes and the AC starts to blow at full speed. Two-button reset or existing and closing the car help. I reproduced this several times. Basically, I can't open the Owner's Manual at all, and it crashes the computer. Am I alone?
Same here! It happened twice within minutes.

Haven't seen this bug yet. Let me know if it's something known. When I try to open Software -> Owner's Manual and open anything in it, I see no manual, but instead the screen freezes and the AC starts to blow at full speed. Two-button reset or existing and closing the car help. I reproduced this several times. Basically, I can't open the Owner's Manual at all, and it crashes the computer. Am I alone?
This has also been happening to me.
Model 3. SW Version 2021.12.25.7

Had another MCU crash yesterday while backing up. Now up to 4 or so crashes in about a month of ownership.

As soon as I finished backing up and hit park the AC went to full blast and MCU display locked up. Had to reboot it from steering wheel. Wonder if this will happen for months until Tesla addresses it. This can actually be a safety issue compared to MCU crashing while trying to read the manual. If you look back and see another car, wall, ledge or whatever and it looks like it is 5 feet away but is only 1 foot away because the MCU crashed and did not update the screen image, it can lead to an accident by backing up too far. Prior to this crash I had the back up video get glitchy and not refresh. SMH at how known MCU crash issues are allowed to continue for months.

2021 M3P running version 2021.3.106

• Disagree
Reactions: WhiteWi
Had another MCU crash yesterday while backing up. Now up to 4 or so crashes in about a month of ownership.

As soon as I finished backing up and hit park the AC went to full blast and MCU display locked up. Had to reboot it from steering wheel. Wonder if this will happen for months until Tesla addresses it. This can actually be a safety issue compared to MCU crashing while trying to read the manual. If you look back and see another car, wall, ledge or whatever and it looks like it is 5 feet away but is only 1 foot away because the MCU crashed and did not update the screen image, it can lead to an accident by backing up too far. Prior to this crash I had the back up video get glitchy and not refresh. SMH at how known MCU crash issues are allowed to continue for months.

2021 M3P running version 2021.3.106
How about use your mirrors in case of the MCU crash while backing up?

Last edited:
As soon as I finished backing up and hit park the AC went to full blast and MCU display locked up. Had to reboot it from steering wheel.
Are you sure you need to reboot? I've had MCU freeze with AC full blast (in my case, always when switching around in my 12K+ USB song library). When it happens, I can wait a few seconds and it comes back on its own. I haven't tried to use the onboard manual with everyone reporting these issues, but even then, I found it to be more difficult that other methods.

This can actually be a safety issue compared to MCU crashing while trying to read the manual. If you look back and see another car, wall, ledge or whatever and it looks like it is 5 feet away but is only 1 foot away because the MCU crashed and did not update the screen image, it can lead to an accident by backing up too far.
To call this a safety hazard is a bit of stretch.
  1. One should never rely on just one method of verifying your surroundings: the camera should never be used as the sole method.
  2. If you knew you knew the backup camera was having an issue on that instance of backing up, only a fool would trust the camera AT ALL for the balance of that instance. You, as the operator of a 4,000+ vehicle, are ultimately responsible for what happens with it.

Reactions: WhiteWi
Are you sure you need to reboot? I've had MCU freeze with AC full blast (in my case, always when switching around in my 12K+ USB song library). When it happens, I can wait a few seconds and it comes back on its own. I haven't tried to use the onboard manual with everyone reporting these issues, but even then, I found it to be more difficult that other methods.

To call this a safety hazard is a bit of stretch.
  1. One should never rely on just one method of verifying your surroundings: the camera should never be used as the sole method.
  2. If you knew you knew the backup camera was having an issue on that instance of backing up, only a fool would trust the camera AT ALL for the balance of that instance. You, as the operator of a 4,000+ vehicle, are ultimately responsible for what happens with it.
For the reading owner manual MCU crash it did reboot on its own. The latest MCU crash when backing up it did not reboot after a few minutes so I manually rebooted it.

As far as safety, it's not that much of a stretch given that what people should do, and what they should do, are two very different things. I worked many years in risk management and can easily see something tragic resulting from backup cameras failing, specially with it showing a frozen image that the driver does not realize is frozen. Yes, the driver should check the rear view mirror, side mirrors, and look over the shoulders. But we all know a not so trivial percentage of people will not do that, and it is foreseeable that an accident may result. That is why established auto manufacturers have these bugs worked out well before the vehicles are sold to customers. Tesla can launch a Roadster on a rocket into space; they are more than capable to fix crashing MCU issues quickly. It's a management and customer service problem with Tesla that they need to work on. You don't want a customer to back over a toddler to be the driving force to fix the problem.

Reactions: mrElbe and BMW740iL
This one hit us in the parking lot at the service center while we were completing delivery on the car. My husband was checking the charging kit and had the trunk open and I was looking at the owners manual. He closed the trunk and bazinga, the 15” display went dark. I thought I’d done something to break our brand new car with only 3 miles on it! It rebooted right away and all was well. Haven’t looked at the manual in the car since!

Searching for this I see it has been a problem for many months. I’m sure there are owners not on this or any other forum who get freaked out when this happens. Tesla should either remove the owners manual from the system or fix it. We should all, everyone on this thread along with all of our friends and relatives who own 3s and Ys, submit service requests for this issue. I just put mine in a few minutes ago.

Searching for this I see it has been a problem for many months. I’m sure there are owners not on this or any other forum who get freaked out when this happens. Tesla should either remove the owners manual from the system or fix it. We should all, everyone on this thread along with all of our friends and relatives who own 3s and Ys, submit service requests for this issue. I just put mine in a few minutes ago.
Where do you submit feedback? It truly is a ridiculous bug and doesn't help the reputation of Tesla.

At least for me it hasn't happened on 2021.24.X. From what I read elsewhere this branch is supposed to have fixed it.

Where do you submit feedback? It truly is a ridiculous bug and doesn't help the reputation of Tesla.
Submit a service request on the phone app, as if you want to make an appointment at the service center. Go through the appointment process and describe the problem. It’s the only way I know to get a response. You can always cancel later, but at least they’ll be made aware.

Reactions: RogerMc
Happened to me this morning!