Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Owners Manual crashes Tesla's computer

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Ditto for me. New MY picked up 5 days ago. Have never been able to access the owner’s manual without it crashing. Both on wifi and LTE. Having homelink installed next week, figure I’ll ask the service guy about it (but it likely is just a software update that will be needed).

Haven't seen this bug yet. Let me know if it's something known. When I try to open Software -> Owner's Manual and open anything in it, I see no manual, but instead the screen freezes and the AC starts to blow at full speed. Two-button reset or existing and closing the car help. I reproduced this several times. Basically, I can't open the Owner's Manual at all, and it crashes the computer. Am I alone?
I picked up my M3P yesterday and I had this same problem.

Haven't seen this bug yet. Let me know if it's something known. When I try to open Software -> Owner's Manual and open anything in it, I see no manual, but instead the screen freezes and the AC starts to blow at full speed. Two-button reset or existing and closing the car help. I reproduced this several times. Basically, I can't open the Owner's Manual at all, and it crashes the computer. Am I alone?
This happened to me, sort of. Quite a few pages in the manual weren't there, but some of them were. But I still had the crash when trying to close the tab.

software 2021.4.18.3, 2018 LR RWD

Brand "new to me" owner here and as I was looking at the manual on the screen the screen froze on me, and the A/C fan went to full speed. Luckily, I had read about the rest procedures, which I did, and everything started working again. This happened yesterday and I haven't wanted to look at it again.

Just happened to me as well. Was trying to look up something, but the display froze up. Needed two scroll wheel reboot.

As a professional software developer I have to say- this is just sad. I don't even know how you screw up software this badly to crash the OS. And no one does any QA anymore?

Reactions: Missile Toad
I am sitting in my car experiencing the exact same thing so I googled it. No you are not alone! Very bizarre. I've only had the car for a day so I'm glad this is not just me

This is happening to me also in my 2021 MY. Have to hard reboot to get out.

Well, I may as well join the fray here...I brought my MY home on the May 8th and upon trying to read the manual via the monitor...it froze the screen and no button worked. shortly thereafter, the screen went black and it rebooted itself. I was able to repeat the failure a couple of times and added this issue to the list of questions I have for my sales guy. (He said that never happened him in his Tesla but he heard anecdotally that others have had this issue...he will look into it he said.)
A couple of weeks later, I tried it again and it worked! I chalked it up to software updates that must have occurred. And it worked a few times after that. Yesterday it froze again.
m

Exact issue for me.

Same on 4.18.3