Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Owners Manual crashes Tesla's computer

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Huh. You seem to have a very high trust in manufactures. I tend to as well, and am really enjoying my Tesla. I have to say though that I have lost a little faith in their attention to details, and optics. That’s ok to though because when I reported the problem, they agreed that it was something that shouldn’t be the case. If their response had been similar to yours ie: live with it dude, I would be seriously concerned about the 50 grand I just spent. I believe that they want to make the best car possible, and I believe that this is probably a minor bug, but I now have a small worry that other problems may have been missed. Tesla is responding the proper way by saying let us help you fix this problem, instead of “what kind of idiot try’s to access a feature we provided?”

Reactions: Zinzan
I agree with pretty much everything said above by MDDriver.

Still, for you guys accessing your online manual while driving, don’t do that. And don’t let a passenger do that now that you know about the bug. My Model 3 came with a hard-copy manual in the glovebox. It’s not that hard.

So I’ve been having the owners manual issues as has been described here in this post, never have had it display any information. Granted I’ve only had the car a little over two weeks, but have tried to get it to work several times with the same result. There was several fit issues that I needed to get resolved. Had my appointment today and talked with the service advisor about the owners manual crash, he said that there’s a firmware fix. I let him know that I’m up to date. Well, pick it up this afternoon and it’s working flawlessly… so far! So is there some different code loading going on here that’s outside the “normal “ update process, humm interesting.

Haven't seen this bug yet. Let me know if it's something known. When I try to open Software -> Owner's Manual and open anything in it, I see no manual, but instead the screen freezes and the AC starts to blow at full speed. Two-button reset or existing and closing the car help. I reproduced this several times. Basically, I can't open the Owner's Manual at all, and it crashes the computer. Am I alone?
It does it with me now too!

My Model 3 came with a hard-copy manual in the glovebox.
What year is your car? My 2021 did NOT come with one. Just a thin booklet with probably less than 5 of what is in the manual. I honestly don't care a bit not having the manual on the screen, but I'd definitely like to have a printed one inside the car, if I ever need it, especially if the screen one doesn't work.

Just in case I missed something, does it work when in P, or not even that? Thx. That'd be perfectly fine with me. And if my 2021 should have had a manual included, I'd like to know, to raise hell with my dealer :).

Haven't seen this bug yet. Let me know if it's something known. When I try to open Software -> Owner's Manual and open anything in it, I see no manual, but instead the screen freezes and the AC starts to blow at full speed. Two-button reset or existing and closing the car help. I reproduced this several times. Basically, I can't open the Owner's Manual at all, and it crashes the computer. Am I alone?
Same happens with me.

As I’ve posted I had a firmware update for the owners manual to fix crashing the screen. An interesting feature (?) is that my autopilot is displaying differently, I would get blue lines on the left and right sides. Now when I’m on the interstate I get a single blue line down the center of the lane.

As I’ve posted I had a firmware update for the owners manual to fix crashing the screen. An interesting feature (?) is that my autopilot is displaying differently, I would get blue lines on the left and right sides. Now when I’m on the interstate I get a single blue line down the center of the lane.
You get the one blue line when you have Navigate on Autopilot engaged. Turn it off and you get the blue lines on the left and right.

You get the one blue line when you have Navigate on Autopilot engaged. Turn it off and you get the blue lines on the left and right.
I hear you, but it was complaining about the weather (raining in the area) and had two lines, once it thought that the weather had improved got the single line back. Granted I’m a new owner and I’m still learning!

Got a May build 2021, just did it to me today. I wanted to clean my seats (small spill of ice cream from the grandkids) and decided to look in the owner's manual (for the first time). I was driving and the wife was hitting the buttons. Locked up the screen, A/C on high, I parked the car, and did a two button reset (without brake). Scary as I couldn't tell if the car was in drive, park or reverse at the time. Freaked the wife out and now she doesn't want to drive the car anymore. Me, whatever, It's a computer, it's going to crash. The seats are still dirty though.

FWIW, since getting version 2021.12.25.6 on my car, the owners manual seems to be working again. I haven't looked at every page, but the ones I've tried, including the ones that immediately crashed things before, seem to be working now.

Interesting. One of the only reasons I went ahead with the update on my car. And I got:

bad.GIF

As a datapoint, I just received the 2021.12.25.7 update, and tested the user manual- works, no crash. Model 3 SR built March 2020.

Users manual is hard to use because the car visualization being overly large apparently interferes with the drawing, so menus overlap on each other, and you can't navigate properly because stuff is all jumbled. But at least it doesn't blow up.

you are not alone, I have this problem as well