Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Owners Manual crashes Tesla's computer

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I feel for both sides on this issue. But I do feel Tesla should fix this issue, like yesterday. My reasoning is this, I had to do the 2 scroll wheel reboot while my car was in the garage. After it booted up all my settings were returned to the factory settings, seat, Nav, FSD settings were not on so I didn't have NOA, The GPS had my car at Tesla HQ and my odometer mileage was gone. I had to reenter all my settings all over again and then drive the car a bit to get the GPS to put me in the right location on the map, then I had to reenter all my FSD settings. That would have made for an interesting drive at night on a trip had the screen reboot by itself. I really like my Tesla but this is a big deal when a software based vehicle has software bugs, it's a huge downside to the experience. I just wish Tesla would use more of their resources to test and remove software bugs, than give my car more games.

Reactions: mrElbe
I feel for both sides on this issue. But I do feel Tesla should fix this issue, like yesterday. My reasoning is this, I had to do the 2 scroll wheel reboot while my car was in the garage. After it booted up all my settings were returned to the factory settings, seat, Nav, FSD settings were not on so I didn't have NOA, The GPS had my car at Tesla HQ and my odometer mileage was gone. I had to reenter all my settings all over again and then drive the car a bit to get the GPS to put me in the right location on the map, then I had to reenter all my FSD settings. That would have made for an interesting drive at night on a trip had the screen reboot by itself. I really like my Tesla but this is a big deal when a software based vehicle has software bugs, it's a huge downside to the experience. I just wish Tesla would use more of their resources to test and remove software bugs, than give my car more games.

Damn, that's a horrible user experience right there. Geeks can find ways to excuse it, normal people drop Tesla like a hot rock and never look back. These reboots are the equivalent of Windows blue-screens. The Tesla lack of concern for these crashes is actually what makes me question them altogether. They are going to be getting the crash reports every time- and they don't care.

You got bit by a double bug. In some recent build they also have some bug where it does a FactoryReset on your car on reboot. Who knows, maybe it's intentional. Regardless, it's not cool, and also something they should really care about. Before the latest Tesla stan pipes up and yells that the car is still drivable even when it crashes- I know. I don't care. It's a horrible user experience and stop making excuses. I want Tesla to succeed, and this is not the way.

What version of firmware are you running? Seems like one to avoid.

I'm on firmware 2021.12.25.7 and I agree with you, bugs are not cool and we shouldn't accept them on a software based vehicle. And again, Tesla needs to stop with putting games, fart sounds and a summon that doesn't really work and just freaking fix the bugs! Between the constant software bugs, increased car prices and the outrageous FSD cost, I highly doubt I'll trade in my 2018 Model 3 for a Y now.

Reactions: _PTE_
Haven't seen this bug yet. Let me know if it's something known. When I try to open Software -> Owner's Manual and open anything in it, I see no manual, but instead the screen freezes and the AC starts to blow at full speed. Two-button reset or existing and closing the car help. I reproduced this several times. Basically, I can't open the Owner's Manual at all, and it crashes the computer. Am I alone?
For me the manual crashes the computer abt one on three times. Computer reboots itself after a while. I don’t get the AC full issue though. This has been consistent sine I got the car three weeks ago. Have had two software upgrades since new, but issue still occurs.

Took delivery of my Model 3 Performance 2 weeks ago and it crashed while driving thought fast food drive-thru blasting cold air when I tried to access the manual. On the plus side, at least it was not the throttle locked in full throttle. This is completely unacceptable and would not be tolerated with any other auto manufacturer. Love the car but Tesla is willing to put out junk tech that is not ready for prime time. My dash cam player is also buggy. And you want me to trust Tesla with self driving when they can't even program the control unit to not crash when loading a PDF file? Love how the car drives but Tesla is a sleazy company willing to put out have baked products that can endanger people.

the display (MCU) is separate from the car's & autopilot operation. Yeah you will lose A/C and turn signaling but the car can still drive even if the screen went fully dead (and can keep going on autopilot and drive totally fine = been there). The display software crash is actually common maybe once every few months. Sometimes a faulty dashcam (bad USB thumbdrive) can cause it to crash. Usually for me it's after using Netflix or Youtube and then switching back to music every few months. Agree they need to make it more robust but thankfully the car is designed with separate computers for the car's main operation and display.

I like this analogy = on a international flight, I've had the infotainment seat back system crash or lock up and they (flight attendants) have to reboot it - but the plane's operation is totally separate from the infotainment seat back.

To OP - will a hard reset (with the middle roller buttons held down on the steering wheel +/- brake pedal) fix the bootloop or only factory reset?

New owner here as of August 13. Today, I experienced exactly the same behavior. Waiting for the next software update to repair. In the meantime, I cannot use the car-based Owners Manual .

Since you are a new owner - if you need the manual it's available on the web site under your car as a PDF. Go to the "Glove Box" section. I think it's consistent across all model years, but I'm not sure. Hence why I'm not directly linking it.

Love how the car drives but Tesla is a sleazy company willing to put out have baked products that can endanger people.
This ad hominem attack completely voids the validity of your argument.
  1. Tesla is not a sleazy company
  2. They do not put out half baked products.
Yes, they have problems but they're doing pretty damned good starting up an automobile manufacturing company from scratch. Yes, there are challenges (such as the current AP issue that is being investigated). but calling them a "sleazy" company is pretty heavy handed and uncalled for.

Reactions: WhiteWi
Since you are a new owner - if you need the manual it's available on the web site under your car as a PDF. Go to the "Glove Box" section. I think it's consistent across all model years, but I'm not sure. Hence why I'm not directly linking it.
To expand, it is available on ANY web browser, even your phone. You can bookmark it if you want (URL below), but I have found it is simplest to just do a Google search each time for "Tesla Model 3 Manual"

Reactions: WhiteWi
For me the manual crashes the computer abt one on three times. Computer reboots itself after a while. I don’t get the AC full issue though. This has been consistent sine I got the car three weeks ago. Have had two software upgrades since new, but issue still occurs.

Just tried this again on 2021.12.25.7, and I'm no longer getting the crash. The same version @Resist reports as crashing for him. Tried 6 different launches, although they are not likely clean launches, because the browser/selection picks up where it was. Have not tried a reboot afterwards, although I assume the car itself always reboots after firmware install.

To expand, it is available on ANY web browser, even your phone. You can bookmark it if you want (URL below), but I have found it is simplest to just do a Google search each time for "Tesla Model 3 Manual"

Except for... the browser on the car itself. Does not seem to support PDFs at all.

Haven't seen this bug yet. Let me know if it's something known. When I try to open Software -> Owner's Manual and open anything in it, I see no manual, but instead the screen freezes and the AC starts to blow at full speed. Two-button reset or existing and closing the car help. I reproduced this several times. Basically, I can't open the Owner's Manual at all, and it crashes the computer. Am I alone?
Happenned to me on my 2020 Performance Model 3. Same thing. Tried to open manual, blank pages and then the whole system freezes. Has happenned EVERYTIME I try to open the owners manual. at leat 5 tiimes.
Based on these responses, does not sound like "cricketts" to me......
Does anyone know if Tesla has responded/fixed?
Thanks.

Reactions: Tas R and mrElbe
This ad hominem attack completely voids the validity of your argument.
  1. Tesla is not a sleazy company
  2. They do not put out half baked products.
Yes, they have problems but they're doing pretty damned good starting up an automobile manufacturing company from scratch. Yes, there are challenges (such as the current AP issue that is being investigated). but calling them a "sleazy" company is pretty heavy handed and uncalled for.
So one can't enjoy the drivability of a car if they believe Tesla is a sleazy company? Huh? Truth is not something Tesla I known for. Be it with stock price manipulation, solar scam, FSD promises that will never materialize, or a willingness to put out products that have not been fully tested. I'm on week 3 and 3 malfunctions of the MCU. Latest was backing up and back up camera frame rate got very low and then MCU completely locked up. Had to reboot MCU again. You won't see that happening with any other auto manufacturer.

To Tesla's credit, their willingness to throw caution to the wind and QC out the window did give them a competitive advantage to grow and advance as fast as they have. Not saying it is right or wrong as that strategy has worked...so far. But it may also bite them in the butt some day.I know one of the top engineers at Rivian and he was telling me stories from engineers they poached from Tesla. Musk will do ANYTHING to keep an assembly line moving. That explains why there is a lot of variability in the quality among the same model cars.

For people who like spirited EV driving, there is nothing out there close to Tesla in terms of value and performance. I have no problem recommending one to a friend. But I would not believe or rely on anything Musk says or promises. Tesla CS also stinks. Have an order in for a Model S but Tesla is now playing games with delivery. Likely will pick up a MB EQS instead of the Model S at the rate things are going. Not a Tesla hater, and not a fan boy. Just being real. Hope they start to act more responsibly as I want to see what other performance oriented vehicles they will put out in the future. Drove a Plaid and it was AMAZING. Love hate relationship with them. LOL.