Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Owners Manual says "Using...commercially available leather cleaners and conditioners

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

ecarfan

On Page 23 of the Owners Manual it states:

"Leather is prone to dye-transfer which can cause discoloration, particularly on light colored leather. White and tan leather is coated with an anti- soiling treatment. Wipe spills as soon as possible using a soft cloth moistened with warm water and non-detergent soap. Wipe gently in a circular motion. Then wipe dry using a soft, lint-free cloth. Using detergents or commercially available leather cleaners and conditioners is not recommended because they can discolor or dry out the leather."

Seems to me that if we don't use leather conditioners the leather is going to dry out and crack. Comments?.

I've had bad experiences with leather "treatments" in the past... maybe because I was buying the wrong stuff, but for the past few years, I have just used a clean damp cloth to clean my leather interiors and have never had a problem. I am sticking with that on my Model S tan interior.

That would mean that Saddle soap is the only recommended treatment for the seats.

Are you saying that because saddle soap is not a "detergent" type cleaner?

Here's a link to a number of saddle soap products

I realized I don't know what saddle soap is made of. According to Wikipedia "Saddle soap is a preparatory compound containing mild soap and softening ingredients such as neatsfoot oil, glycerin, and lanolin. It also contains beeswax to protect leather. It is used for cleaning, conditioning and softening leather, particularly that of saddles and other horse tack, hence its name. It is also commonly used for cleaning and conditioning leather footwear and leather camera cases. Regular cleaning of leather goods extends the lifespan and helps maintain good quality."

Anyone tried using it on Model S seats?

Are you saying that because saddle soap is not a "detergent" type cleaner?

Here's a link to a number of saddle soap products

I realized I don't know what saddle soap is made of. According to Wikipedia "Saddle soap is a preparatory compound containing mild soap and softening ingredients such as neatsfoot oil, glycerin, and lanolin. It also contains beeswax to protect leather. It is used for cleaning, conditioning and softening leather, particularly that of saddles and other horse tack, hence its name. It is also commonly used for cleaning and conditioning leather footwear and leather camera cases. Regular cleaning of leather goods extends the lifespan and helps maintain good quality."

Anyone tried using it on Model S seats?

I searched for non-detergent Soaps. The only ones that came up are Murphy's Soaps (flakes only) and Saddle Soaps. I could not find any other brands or products under this catagory!

I think that claim is to cover Tesla for those that would use something like an APC undiluted on the leather or some other harsh chemical that dries out the leather.

Like others, I have used multiple products on the leather (mostly to try them out) and all the leather looks fantastic.

Griot's Garage Leather Care
Lexol 3-in-1 care
Wolfgang leather care

I have been using Swissvax leather cleaner, leather milk and elephant leather fat lately, and it looks fantastic and as new as it came.

I've had bad experiences with leather "treatments" in the past... maybe because I was buying the wrong stuff, but for the past few years, I have just used a clean damp cloth to clean my leather interiors and have never had a problem. I am sticking with that on my Model S tan interior.

You are so right. The Leather Institute recommends a clean damp cloth for routine maintenance as well.

As I have pretty extensive experience with aftermarket leather products and leather finishing, the commercial products mentioned in this thread, including saddle soap, do more harm than good in the long run. The Leather Institute sells cleaning and finishing products that have been carefully tested. I highly recommend them.