Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Owners of demo cars, was the discount worth it?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
My demo car was delivered to my house end of March (Dec 2019 build). The thing with demo cars is that ANY issue you note down during during delivery will be covered exactly like you are taking delivery of stock/custom ordered cars with less mileage. My car was offered to me with 75 miles on the odometer for $2560 off which was too good to pass up IMO plus I got 2k free supercharging miles as an added bonus (it's actually 800 kWh of supercharging according to the history on My Account on Tesla website).

I'm considered essential worker so I still get to drive the car when I need to pop in the office and have done the weekend leisure drive around, have racked up almost 2000 miles in the past 6 weeks.

170668238.10vhrNFq.jpg

Also, I looked at it this way - with my car as a demo/showroom car, I'm guessing that this was "handpicked" so that it's virtually flawless as I can't find anything that sticks out as far as panel gaps, fit and finish issue that I've seen people discover during their delivery inspection. It would have been in Tesla's best interest to have their showroom/demo car looking at it's best OR any glaring issues was already addressed before it was even put out for demo or have been fixed before it got delivered to me.

FSD?

I got an X demo car that was enormously discounted 3500 miles on it, and it was basically perfect when i got it. Anything missing that was to be included, like tow package, they gladly added on.

Your 3-4K is not that significant especially if it’s not your ideal color. I guess you could take that discounted car as it has very low miles for a demo car, and apply that savings to a performance boost upgrade.

• Funny
Reactions: ElectricIAC
All I can say is that there were folks in Q3-Q4 2019 getting up to $30K off of demo X and S models. Of course you will never see that kind of a discount on a 3. There have been several folks that have gotten $10K or so off of their 3 demos, but it appears that on average $1500-$3500 discount is typical. For S and X, a typical discount on a demo is a couple grand more than that. Of course there are outliers.

Just placed my order for a 2021 demo M3P with 600 miles... I feel like I'm rolling the dice but you guys are helping me be slightly less nervous.

Here's what my SA said:

1) There is no "grace period" anymore when buying any Tesla. If I take delivery, it's mine no matter what. No 7 day buy backs or anything.
2) Demo cars come as-is. Anything wrong with them will not be fixed by Tesla. Especially cosmetic stuff like dings, curb rash, and scratches.
3) If I refuse the car at delivery I still have to pay the $500 transport fee and the $100 reservation fee. So I basically just gambled $600 to get the car here and take a look at it.
4) I have to drive to a pickup center 140 miles away to take delivery. They won't do home drop off for a demo car.

Needless to say, I'm hoping for the best. It was discounted $2300 so hopefully that pays off!!

Just placed my order for a 2021 demo M3P with 600 miles... I feel like I'm rolling the dice but you guys are helping me be slightly less nervous.

Here's what my SA said:

1) There is no "grace period" anymore when buying any Tesla. If I take delivery, it's mine no matter what. No 7 day buy backs or anything.
2) Demo cars come as-is. Anything wrong with them will not be fixed by Tesla. Especially cosmetic stuff like dings, curb rash, and scratches.
3) If I refuse the car at delivery I still have to pay the $500 transport fee and the $100 reservation fee. So I basically just gambled $600 to get the car here and take a look at it.
4) I have to drive to a pickup center 140 miles away to take delivery. They won't do home drop off for a demo car.

Needless to say, I'm hoping for the best. It was discounted $2300 so hopefully that pays off!!
They didn’t send you pictures?

Here's what my SA said:

Wow. Things have certainly changed since we last bought our demo X and demo P3D.

With all those restrictions and nickel and diming I'd go with the new car unless the discount was stellar. Which 4% (Really 3%) is not.
Best of luck!

Yeah..$2300 is not worth the gamble or hassle of that for me personally. That's like 30$ a month different on a loan.
The car is on its way here already and I've only paid the $100 reservation fee so far. I'm ready to pay in full but will wait till I actually see the car before transferring any money. I'm all prepped with a paint gauge, tread depth gauge, and the Inspect T app :)

Yes, it was definitely worth it.

I received a $6800 discount for a demo car, it was the 2018 M3 LR RWD which I bought in 6/2019. It came in the color I wanted, white, which was I think was $2k at the time and upgraded 19" wheels. The car came with only 37 miles when I picked it up.

The only damage I saw was that there was some minor scuffs on one of the wheels, there were some scratches on one of the door plastic panel in the cabin. There was some minor issues with paint but nothing I couldn't live with. Lastly, the floors were a little dirty inside, probably due to the people test driving it.

The car is on its way here already and I've only paid the $100 reservation fee so far. I'm ready to pay in full but will wait till I actually see the car before transferring any money. I'm all prepped with a paint gauge, tread depth gauge, and the Inspect T app :)
Car is home now 😁

Was the gamble worth it? Yes absolutely in my case. It's like a brand new car but just $2300 cheaper and 602 miles on the odometer. Wheels and paint are perfect, PZero tires at at 9/32" all around, and everything looks great. Panel gap isn't great but well... It's a Tesla. I wasn't about to reject it and end up with one that's even worse.

I'll post about changes between my February 2018 build and this January 2021 in another thread.

PXL_20210401_015749387.jpg