Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Owners service experience

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Please do tell me more about this frozen charge port problem I might have the joy of experiencing in a few months :eek:

I picked up my car in May 2018, the charge port has been redesigned since then so you may be OK. On the old one, any moisture that got in there would trickle into the locking pin mechanism at the bottom and freeze solid. Where I am moisture in winter is pretty common because of freeze-thaw cycles, the need to wash your car throughout the winter due to road salt and of course, the charge port area and car warming up a bit inside the garage overnight. The first time this happened my home charger was completely frozen in place so I was stranded.

There were various workarounds including running full heat for 1h+ with the back seats down, using a hairdryer and squirting in antifreeze on a regular basis - good times. Within weeks however Tesla had done a redesign and I got the new port, fitted by the ranger at my convenience.

In my experience no other manufacturer would or could have responded so quickly, so I consider it all a positive in the end and I never felt misled or ignored. The response also means I'll overlook the original "California design" - this car had clearly never been tested over a proper winter in daily life. Freezing windows were also an issue but fixed with software which is cool. The car now has the Ontario winter thumbs-up!

Dollar for dollar you make highly questionable* decisions If you spend a penny on a brand new EV that is not a Tesla.

Feature set, performance, $kw, cachet, everything.

* I’d not mince words but my post can’t help OP if it ends up in snippiness.

Your post is not snippy at all. It makes valid points.

However, if I were a mother of two who had to haul two kids around, I would at least look at the Kona EV crossover. It has a little more traditional interior, and a lot of great features. Its range is the same as a Model 3. It would be easier to load and unload kids. Hyuandais are generally reliable and well-built. A fully loaded one costs about $46,000.

The OP should check out this review, which is the best I have found on the vehicle.

Last edited:
Your post is not snippy at all. It makes valid points.

However, if I were a mother of two who had to haul two kids around, I would at least look at the Kona EV crossover. It has a little more traditional interior, and a lot of great features. Its range is the same as a Model 3. It would be easier to load and unload kids. Hyuandais are generally reliable and well-built. A fully loaded one costs about $46,000.

The OP should check out this review, which is the best I have found on the vehicle.

Also, the Toyota RAV4 Hybrid Crossover. Months ago, I read a comparison between this vehicle and the Model 3, and the Toyota won in a comprehensive five year cost-to-own scenario.

Apologies for the off topic comment...

There's nothing wrong with comparing/considering other vehicles, IMO.

I mean, let's be reasonable here... As much as we like Tesla, there is just no way Teslas are right for everyone. Individual and family needs need to be considered. As time goes on, hopefully those niches where other vehicles fit better than Tesla's offerings will be filled by Tesla.

Whether it's an individual (or family) range need, weather concern (especially cold), size, charging infrastructure or just plain purchase cost, Tesla still isn't a one-size-fits-all solution... yet.

So... here's my report :)

First, we were surprised that we were not accompanied by a Tesla representative during our test drives. We were given a car and asked to return it within a "reasonable" time frame.

We test drove a M3D. Really liked the car and it had more than enough space for 2 adults and 2 car seats. The problem was with the trunk: while it's not small, it's pretty hard to fit everything 2 small kids need if we plan to go somewhere relatively far from home. So... a solid "no" from wife :)

Then, we decided to take MX for a spin. We were given the latest dual motor performance version. Immediately we could tell that it's a much more... appropriate car for a family. Wife loved it right away. Did a few launches... yeah, pretty amazing (forgot to turn on the ludicrous mode, but still we were all very impressed).

Back in the store, our sales guy asked us about our preference. He configured a long range MX. There was an inventory model, but that was sold within a few minutes.

Back home, I looked up how MS compares to MX in terms of trunk space and it seems that MS might be a good fit for us. So I texted our rep and asked him about that. Got a response with an inventory 2019 MS long range (370 miles on 1 charge). Brand new. For 72K. He reserved it for us and we'll give him an answer on Monday. So... decisions, decisions :D

Last edited:
Reactions: Phlier
Just to add to what you guys said above, it totally makes sense to consider something else. The problem is that wife doesn't really want to consider anything else - our current car is just fine, but "eats" a lot of gas and is suboptimal for a lot of city driving. On the other hand, getting such an expensive car as Tesla (any Tesla) just to save a few thousand on gas (I mean how much, realistically, are we going to save? If our pay around 2.5K/y for gas and that's around $500 to feed a Tesla for the same year, we're looking at 10K saving in 5 years. Of course we are not considering services like oil change and such, but we have a Japanese car and it's pretty new, so we don't expect it to require A LOT of servicing). Anyway, my point is that as someone already mentioned it's more of a "want" than "need". So... that's that :)

Also, I was told by our sales guy that is something happens to M3 and we take it to the service, we won't get a loaner - these are not available for M3 owners and only the owners of "premium" versions (MS and MX) will be provided with a loaner. Was a bit surprised by that - I suppose a 50k+ car (with taxes and fees) is not premium enough.

Also, I was told by our sales guy that is something happens to M3 and we take it to the service, we won't get a loaner - these are not available for M3 owners and only the owners of "premium" versions (MS and MX) will be provided with a loaner. Was a bit surprised by that - I suppose a 50k+ car (with taxes and fees) is not premium enough.

That's the first time I've ever heard of this policy.... but who knows, polices change on a whim. Maybe an S/X owner complained to Elon about an influx of 3 owners taking up all the loaners. Maybe owning a "premium" version comes with a concierge service where somebody actually answers your phone call. :D:D

That's the first time I've ever heard of this policy.... but who knows, polices change on a whim. Maybe an S/X owner complained to Elon about an influx of 3 owners taking up all the loaners. Maybe owning a "premium" version comes with a concierge service where somebody actually answers your phone call. :D:D

Haha, who knows :) Also, when I asked if they know anything about the car I found through their used inventory search engine, I've been told that they only sell new cars / new inventory and don't have access / can't help with used inventory. Is that how it always was? Sounds a bit weird to me.

Haha, who knows :) Also, when I asked if they know anything about the car I found through their used inventory search engine, I've been told that they only sell new cars / new inventory and don't have access / can't help with used inventory. Is that how it always was? Sounds a bit weird to me.

I'm not up to date on Tesla's used system, but last I looked into it they're not cpo (certified pre owned) and we're being handled by multiple third party companies. You could view them on the Tesla site, but the rest was..... weird... Rich rebuilds on YouTube has a pretty hilarious couple videos of him trying to get a used model x.

Spoiler: it's was a *sugar* show, but maybe they fixed it by now.

The used models are currently not that great of a deal especially depending on your states incentives. Maybe after q3 ends they may get better prices.

Just to add to what you guys said above, it totally makes sense to consider something else. The problem is that wife doesn't really want to consider anything else - our current car is just fine, but "eats" a lot of gas and is suboptimal for a lot of city driving. On the other hand, getting such an expensive car as Tesla (any Tesla) just to save a few thousand on gas (I mean how much, realistically, are we going to save? If our pay around 2.5K/y for gas and that's around $500 to feed a Tesla for the same year, we're looking at 10K saving in 5 years. Of course we are not considering services like oil change and such, but we have a Japanese car and it's pretty new, so we don't expect it to require A LOT of servicing). Anyway, my point is that as someone already mentioned it's more of a "want" than "need". So... that's that :)

You might want to check my recent thread (check my post history) if you're curious about fuelling savings. I hereby offer to do the calculations for you if you can provide the numbers I need (gas price, electricity pricing, car final total, etc.), as I personally value making informed decisions and want owners to understand the costs. I'll tell you right now though... the "want" will win over the cost comparison, and that's quite alright :)

The policy on loaners for Model 3 is very consistent with recent reality. Part of it may just be with the much higher numbers of Tesla rolling around due to the 3, they just can't or don't want to have that many loaners around.

Also, early congrats! We know you'll pick a Tesla :p
Did you see the sub-trunk in the Model 3 by the way? I agree the trunk is underwhelming until you open the cover and WOW THERE'S A CAVE UNDER THERE. It requires some creativity but is especially helpful for the more vertical or long items (strollers can fit nicely in it, store everything else towards the front of the trunk).

Reactions: Phlier
Hey folks,

We're about to finally commit to getting a Tesla and the only theme (and a pretty uncomfortable one) that we still encounter on the forums / Yelp / Google reviews is the customer service experience. The car will be driven mostly by my wife and we have 2 kids - she does a lot of driving around town and having a car at all times is quite critical for her. Judging by quite a few responses, sometimes people are having a very hard time getting the car serviced / scheduled for service / get a temp replacement with Tesla. Is this a valid concern these days? Have you seen any improvements on that front? Does it make sense to get a brand new one instead of, say, an inventory one that comes with discount / included bonus (I was thinking that since it's an "older" car, it might potentially have more issues and, thus, require more time in service if it comes to that).

Any feedback on that part of owning a Tesla is much appreciated.

P.S. I'm in Las Vegas, Nevada (if that matters)

I'm located in San Jose, CA. Tesla is very successful in this region. Once sees a great deal of Tesla's on the road, which is great to see. But the infrastructure, specifically service centers, have not kept up with this success in sales. I had a problem with my M3 - auto pilot and associated features such as traffic aware cruise control, stopped working. The car was drive-able, but I wanted to get these things fixed. It took three weeks to get an appt. But much worse, the "appointment" only allows me to park my car at the service center. It's now been five days and they haven't even taken a look at my car. I would have been much better off keeping my car until they had an actual opening to work on it.

I'm happy for Tesla's success in selling this great car. But they have to get their service center infrastructure caught up with their sales.

David from San Jose, AKA Blueboy

• Informative
Reactions: Phlier and tvad
Don't ask me, or you won't buy the car.

First piece of advice, you need to look at buying a new Tesla the same way you look at buying a 4-5 year old used car. With a used car, you are going to have surprise issues that the previous owner didn't bother to fix or tell you about. So you have a period of month or 3 getting everything sorted out, and then you have a good car for a while. Tesla's build quality and QC is so bad that you are likely to receive a car with issues right off the bat that are similar to a used car's issues.

As for my first service experience. Well it took over a week until I could actually schedule an appt in the app, no one at Tesla knew what was going on, they said it was strange and shouldn't be that way, but no one bothered to help with that issue. Then when I could finally schedule, I was one of the "lucky" ones to get a loaner Model S instead of Uber credits. That loaner was the biggest POS. First, it was about as clean the Animal House frat house. I literally had to clean it inside and out to be able to use it. The windows were even dirtier on the inside than the filthy state of the outside glass. There was gooey stuff all over the seats, the carpets were filthy. WTF? Have some pride Tesla! And to let anyone in the passenger side, I had to lean over and open the door from the inside and then get back out because the rear passenger door would pop open when I did that. Then the wheels were either bent or out of balance, or both, so it wasn't a joy to drive. The 17" screen was hard to read because it was so faded, and the software so buggy that the radio stopped working.

I was told I would most likely get the car back the same day. Sounded good. Nope. No updates, no nothing that day. Then I got the notice in the app the second day that it would be ready on the 3rd day (Friday) at 11:15 am. So went there at 11:10am. They said it's not ready, and sorry they didn't update the app. WTF? They force you to do everything from the app, and they can't be bothered to update it?! Told me it should be ready by the end of the day.

Nothing from them that afternoon, still showing pickup at 11:15am, so at 3pm I texted the number that they texted me originally, and asked for an update. Nothing. So I call at 4:30pm, and miraculously for the first time someone answers the phone. They don't know what's going on with my car and say I should text the number for an update instead of calling. Yeah, thanks for nothing. Told him no one responds to the text and he tells me to hold. It takes 30 min to get there from my house, so in hopes of getting rid of the loaner and not having my new car sit in their open parking lot in the very sketchy Houston neighborhood before they close at 5pm on Friday, I start driving there. 10 mins later, the guy comes off hold and tells me that I will hear back right away from the service advisor and he will give me an update. Keep driving there and get there at 4:55, and I never heard anything. Drive around the back, and see my car sitting there and it looks untouched from when I dropped it off.

Go inside, and the guys says he will check. He comes back and says it just needs a little bit more work, and they may work overtime and have it ready tomorrow (Sat). Tells me that I will hear when it's ready through the text messaging, and I can come pick it up even though they are officially closed if they get it done. I ask if they will park the car inside because there's a storm with expected hail, and he says definitely.

Saturday rolls around and it's past mid day, and nothing. I check the app, and my car is now talking to me again, but still listed as in service. I notice on the GPS that's it's been moved to the front pickup area. So I text asking if it's ready. NOTHING. Keep checking, no change, but the car is just sitting there. So get in the loaner with the family and drive there. No one to be seen anywhere. Knock on back door, nothing. Car looks ready to pick up. Car door opens, but still shows as in service. Keep texting asking about the car, nothing. Notice the car clearly spent the night in that horrible rain storm as the rear tail light is now fogged up and it's filthy. It hadn't rained the previous days and I dropped off a spotless car.

Decide that I am taking the car and leaving their crappy loaner to brave the weeking in that neighborhood instead of my nice new shiny car. Get in, it's all ok, drives ok, on the way back take it to get burgers with the family. All good. Get the burgers and back on the freeway to go home. Right before our exit, there's a loud bang and now a very loud wind noise. Sounds like the glass roof popped out of its channel and was letting in a rush of air, but didn't feel any air. Car seems to drive ok, so slowed down, exited, pulled into the gas station and look. The freaking rear bumper diffuser was hanging on the ground.

Grabbed the burgers and we walked home. Ate the burgers, got a text finally that my car is ready for pickup. Great, thanks! Then got in my reliable car, with tie wraps in hand, reattached the big panel back to the car while lying on the ground in the gas station parking lot. Drive the car home, put it on jacks, and find that they left out 10 screws and 6 fasteners. Surreal. Went to part store and paid for new M6 1.0 screws and some plastic fasteners. I always have spare screws and parts, but not that many of them!

On Sunday, get another text that my car is ready. Dumbasses.

Go in Monday morning, give them back their loaner key, show them the situation, and surprisingly they apologized. Needless to say, I didn't leave it with them to "fix." Told them to make a note and they can replace the damaged panel when I bring it in when the next thing breaks on the car. The less number of service visits, a.k.a. torture sessions for me and my car, the better.

Yeah, great service. Love the wonderful communication and respect they have for customers and their cars. And this is after a nightmare of 3 weeks just trying to buy the car before the end of year with hideously poor communications and nonstop confusion amongst themselves.

2020-01-11 19.17.52.jpg
2020-01-11 19.18.48.jpg

2020-01-11 19.18.55.jpg
2020-01-11 19.20.35.jpg

• Informative
Reactions: mewantcookiez