Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Owners: what are the three biggest quirks or drawbacks that you have found?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
>The camera/HomeLink overlap is still a problem for me with Firmware 1.15.8. What firmware version do you have?

I have the same version. When I back up, I see the camera image and can still click on the Homelink icon. Can you take a picture of what you are seeing?

Sure.
First picture: Normal HomeLink menu. (I have three clickers programmed in.)
Second picture: Homelink + normal Camera view. The end of the Homelink menu is chopped off.
Third picture: Homelink + Car in Reverse (camera automatically covers the top half of the screen). Most of the Homelink menu is chopped off. This is the problematic case, because I can't see the Garage item to tap it to close my garage. If I stab blindly and get lucky, the button still works.
Fourth picture: Unrelated: some garbage that appeared on the speedometer console shortly thereafter. A display reboot fixed this. (Pressing the top two buttons on the steering wheel simultaneously for 15 seconds.)

homelink_normal.jpg

homelink_camera1.jpg

homelink_camera2.jpg

speedometer_garbage.jpg

Sure.
First picture: Normal HomeLink menu. (I have three clickers programmed in.)
Second picture: Homelink + normal Camera view. The end of the Homelink menu is chopped off.
Third picture: Homelink + Car in Reverse (camera automatically covers the top half of the screen). Most of the Homelink menu is chopped off. This is the problematic case, because I can't see the Garage item to tap it to close my garage. If I stab blindly and get lucky, the button still works.
Fourth picture: Unrelated: some garbage that appeared on the speedometer console shortly thereafter. A display reboot fixed this. (Pressing the top two buttons on the steering wheel simultaneously for 15 seconds.)

View attachment 11081

I see, I thought it had been fixed. Thanks. I only have 2 Homelink items. I guess the only temporary fix would be to name 'Garage' something higher in the alphabet so it comes first?

Have you forwarded those photos to Tesla so they are aware?

Ok, after 1000 miles with my Model S, here's my list of quirks and grievances. (No way to narrow it down to just 3.)

1) Sun visors need replacement. (Needs better mirrors, vanity lights, hopefully slightly larger?)
2) No way to open the charge port door from outside. (I've suggested to Tesla a quadruple-click on the fob; basically "open-open".) I don't have the Model S HPC, which is the only connector that can automatically open the port by proximity.
3) While driving, the same motion that on the Roadster activates the wipers, on the Model S puts the car in neutral. This can be very disconcerting at highway speeds; the first time I accidentally did this I thought the car died, and it took me a good 10 seconds to realize what was going on and correct it. The car should recognize this case (vehicle in motion, gear in neutral, accelerator pressed) and flash a warning or reminder to shift into Drive.
4) The floormats are starting to scuff and accumulate dust bunnies after just 1000 miles.
5) The key fob needs some sort of lanyard or clip; it's nearly impossible to attach to a keyring. (It also needs color-coding and LED headlights!)
6) At highway speed, sunroof whistles loudly during opening/closing.
7) Front doors and Frunk require a bit too much force to close. (I've gotten used to it, but passengers rarely close the door completely on the first try.)
8) Scrolling through iPhone contacts list takes forever; it needs an A-Z shortcut.
9) Changing radio stations, the slider tends to "rubber-band" and fly off in one direction or other when you let go...
10) Homelink: took forever to get it to recognize my clickers, even at point-blank range. Not sure if there's some other trick to this?
11) Daisy-chaining the Model S <-> Roadster HPC adapter to the Roadster 110v adapter doesn't work. It would be nice if it did.
12) Bricking the car for up to 2 hours during a software update is a bad thing. (What if you need to get to a hospital, or escape a fire?) There should be some sort of UI-less "emergency drive" mode accessible during an update.
13) While backing up, the camera feed covers up the HomeLink menu, making it difficult to back out of my garage and close the garage door.
14) The rear-view mirror field of view is somewhat limited. (You can't see to the horizon in the rear-view mirror, because the roofline is too low.) Keeping the backup camera active while driving is a marginally effective substitute.

All that said, I wouldn't give up my Model S for anything :) Love it!!!

thank you for your detailed post

I only skimmed the thread (usually I try to be more thorough) so hopefully I didn't miss something...

Have any owners run across software, firmware, or hardware issues that affect safety while driving?

I don't mean stuff like "the mirrors are smaller than I would like", but legitimate defects rather than design compromises.