Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Owners with 5seats/7seats bench

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

outie

May 22, 2016
SoCal
Does your bench rub against the FWD on either side?

There's a rattling nose that's been bothering me for a long time. I always thought it was my child seats or my wife's lotion in the door pocket, so today I decided to take them all out but the noise was still there. I sat in the back, closed the FWD and tried to locate the noise and low and behold this is what I found causing the annoying noise. It was actually a rubbing noise but sounded like rattling when I drive.

IMG_1679.jpeg

The other side that doesn't rub:

IMG_5822.jpeg

You can see the rub is causing this crease on the seat itself.

IMG_0879.jpeg

So does anyone else have this issue? Right now I have to move that seat forward a little bit and tilt the back a little bit forward to avoid the rubbing and eliminate the noise. But wtf!

Does your bench rub against the FWD on either side?

There's a rattling nose that's been bothering me for a long time. I always thought it was my child seats or my wife's lotion in the door pocket, so today I decided to take them all out but the noise was still there. I sat in the back, closed the FWD and tried to locate the noise and low and behold this is what I found causing the annoying noise. It was actually a rubbing noise but sounded like rattling when I drive.

View attachment 353578

The other side that doesn't rub:

View attachment 353579

You can see the rub is causing this crease on the seat itself.

View attachment 353577

So does anyone else have this issue? Right now I have to move that seat forward a little bit and tilt the back a little bit forward to avoid the rubbing and eliminate the noise. But wtf!
I’ll be more than happy to check and report back in two weeks once I get my X ;)

So.....

Mine rubs as I’ve seen the same marks on my MX and I do have a rattling however I’ve always thought it was coming from the top of the FWD.

My MX is actually in the SC now for this and many other things but I never thought the noise could be the seat....

I had a similar problem on my S, the seat would rub on the center console causing a squeak. Drove me nuts. I was in the SC for something else, and I asked them about it. "Oh yeah, we can fix that" Some kind of miracle 3M compound took care of it immediately and permanently. It might be worth asking the SC about this problem on your X.

• Informative
Reactions: outie
Yes! Exactly the same problem. The passenger side rubs and squeaks. I brought it to the attention of my service advisor. He actually admitted that this VIN series has this issue (March 2018 delivery) and that at some point in time they will have a fix. That fix will most likely be a new seat. I’m supposed to check with him before next appointment to see. No ETA. In the meantime, I have to push back the seats to the max and recline a bit more to stop the rubbing. At the service center they lubed it up to reduce the squeak...but of course I caught that and hence my convo with the SA.
Man and I thought it was just me.

• Informative
Reactions: hh83917 and outie
Yes! Exactly the same problem. The passenger side rubs and squeaks. I brought it to the attention of my service advisor. He actually admitted that this VIN series has this issue (March 2018 delivery) and that at some point in time they will have a fix. That fix will most likely be a new seat. I’m supposed to check with him before next appointment to see. No ETA. In the meantime, I have to push back the seats to the max and recline a bit more to stop the rubbing. At the service center they lubed it up to reduce the squeak...but of course I caught that and hence my convo with the SA.
Man and I thought it was just me.
Thank you for the information. Mine is also a March 2018 build which explains it. Let me know when you have an update please. Mine has to go forward and incline to make it not rub, but I have a baby carrier/basket on that side and have to move the front seat forward which reduces legroom. I’ve applied some silicon lube myself for now.

Thank you for the information. Mine is also a March 2018 build which explains it. Let me know when you have an update please. Mine has to go forward and incline to make it not rub, but I have a baby carrier/basket on that side and have to move the front seat forward which reduces legroom. I’ve applied some silicon lube myself for now.

When in doubt.....lube!! Seems like lube (WD40) and duct tape solve about 99% of world’s problems. For the rest, there’s alcohol! :)

I think mine rub a bit when in certain positions (Feb 18 delivery). But I have child seats on both sides which are quite noisy themselves (and even more so when the girls are in them!) so I don't really notice any specific noise from the seats themselves. I'll take a closer look next time, but I do have similar crease marks showing so I guess that answers the question.

• Informative

I have exactly the same problem. Also a March 2018 delivery.

• Informative
I have exactly same issue, (JUN-2018 delivery) (I should have checked online before taking it to Service center) There is a press mark on the Right side(Passenger side) of bench seat, Told Service center about the issue, even kept the seat folded from further damage, Unfortunately Service advisor says,(Sunnyvale, CA) No Solution, ..can NOT redesign the seat..From above answers, Don't Expect Tesla to invetsigate and Invest in this issue. (I reported about the Yellow mark around tocuh control panel, Still no fix since 1 year) , Had ot live with these kind of Build quality issues!!!

Hi Su_2018,

There is a fix available for the yellow ring around your display.
Tesla has created an Ultra Violet light source fixture to completely cure the adhesive
in the display panel and it eliminates the yellow ring.
There are many threads about it here on TMC.
I had mine fixed in December - It looks better than new.

Shawn