Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Owners with No AP - Thoughts/Plans/Speculation on What Happens Next

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So Tesla is responding to what the govt is doing?

Are you saying that the price increases are in response to the tax credit expiring?

Going to have to find some Tesla documentation on that because that sounds backwards.

The most recent price increase was a result of including AP, and that raised the price by $2K.

That didn't have anything to do with tax credits expiring. I was referring to the changes Tesla made in the changes a couple months ago.

I have 2 conflicting thoughts on this situation.

1. I logically understand car prices and options change constantly. For ICE cars, end of year clearance sales happen every year, and never once have I been concerned about this for my previous cars.

On the other hand....

2. As an early adopter (have mine almost a year) I can’t help but feel ripped off. Right now for $500 less than I paid for my car (LR RWD, no AP) I can have an LR AWD with AP.

So point 1 is the part of me that enjoys the car and all that comes with it, while point 2 makes me feel betrayed as an early adopter. Why should someone who didn’t stand in line and plunk down $1000 on a car sight unseen reap more benefit than me? It just feels wrong.

Anyways, dont’t take my comments as whiny. I’m thrilled with the car and will be buying another when I but my next car. Tesla strikes me as a great engineering and tech company that doesn’t know anything about managing customer satisfaction (in other words a typical Silicon Valley company). I’ve made my peace with it.

Thanks for listening!

Here's another way of looking at your situation. The one thing money cannot buy is time. Yes, you paid more and went through the whole preordering ordeal, but in return, you got more time with your spectacular car than most of us. At the end of the day, all we really want is more time with the people we love, doing the things we love doing. As a gearhead, driving awesome cars is one of those things in my book.

The most recent price increase was a result of including AP, and that raised the price by $2K.

But, that didn't have anything to do with tax credits expiring.

Oh wait....so the price of EAP raised the price by $2k?

What are they doing about the $3k price they sold to tens of thousands? ( shhhh - I forgot....we aren't supposed to talk about that ). ( sweep that under the rug right? )

I don't see the disclosure that you got the $5K refund check or the acknowledgement that you benefited from the $7.5K tax credit.

I didn’t apply for the TRADE check but I get your point and I believe in honest discourse.

Lots of things change like offer of credit AT THE EXPENSE of trading in the FUSC I would have earned twice over.

I didn’t even get to use a ref code that would have helped push me get free wheels as part of a swap.

I signed up for this so I’m not really complaining and can argue for both sides.

Point is I got my ass kicked and wish Tesla managed it better.

Not everyone absorbs beatings the same way.

Some people lose sleep over these things that’s really tragic.

People have joy which turns into ashes in their mouth.

While not so dramatic to me I can relate to how someone might feel.

Here's another way of looking at your situation. The one thing money cannot buy is time. Yes, you paid more and went through the whole preordering ordeal, but in return, you got more time with your spectacular car than most of us. At the end of the day, all we really want is more time with the people we love, doing the things we love doing. As a gearhead, driving awesome cars is one of those things in my book.

All we really want is what now?

Not me. That's not the ONLY thing I want.

I didn’t apply for the TRADE check but I get your point and I believe in honest discourse.

Lots of things change like offer of credit AT THE EXPENSE of trading in the FUSC I would have earned twice over.

I didn’t even get to use a ref code that would have helped push me get free wheels as part of a swap.

I signed up for this so I’m not really complaining and can argue for both sides.

Point is I got my ass kicked and wish Tesla managed it better.

Not everyone absorbs beatings the same way.

Some people lose sleep over these things that’s really tragic.

People have joy which turns into ashes in their mouth.

While not so dramatic to me I can relate to how someone might feel.

Oh....is that what it is? A trade check? <--------little sarcasm

I thought he was talking about a real $5k refund. <--------- lot of sarcasm

• Love
Reactions: MXWing

I was really upset at that arrangement. Probably the most out of everything that Tesla has done.

Ok so Elon realizes he really did a number on the first 3P adopters. Those that drove the successful Q3 and took their cars from a tent.

He drops the price in a big way and of course 1st 3P adopters get pissed.

Elon responds by saying hey you got free FUSC. You can trade it for 5K.

FUSC is not worth 5K to 99.999 of drivers but that’s not the point.

Tesla should could have decided 5K to all. 5K to none. Or something in between.

Asking to trade a gift or incentive for ordering early in exchange for a pity check did not sit well with me.

I should have clarified the point that it was a giving up free supercharging for the life of the ownership of that specific vehicle.

But, the new buyers didn't have that either. That's why Elon made people give up the free supercharging to get the $5K.

Personally I thought the whole thing was ridiculous. I liked the psychological aspects of free charging despite the monetary value being so low.

I'm an agreement with MXWing that Tesla should have either given people a $5K refund or simply told people "tough luck".

Reactions: MXWing
I was really upset at that arrangement. Probably the most out of everything that Tesla has done.

Ok so Elon realizes he really did a number on the first 3P adopters. Those that drove the successful Q3 and took their cars from a tent.

He drops the price in a big way and of course 1st 3P adopters get pissed.

Elon responds by saying hey you got free FUSC. You can trade it for 5K.

FUSC is not worth 5K to 99.999 of drivers but that’s not the point.

Tesla should could have decided 5K to all. 5K to none. Or something in between.

Asking to trade a gift or incentive for ordering early in exchange for a pity check did not sit well with me.

Indeed early adopters were once classified as something special to Elon/Tesla.

Now?

What would you be driving if Tesla wasn’t around and would you be happier?

There should be limits to the amount of bitching we throw at Tesla.
If Tesla wasn't around, I would still be driving my 1995 F-150.

Why do you think there should be limits on bitching about a company that acts like Tesla?
I'm not aware of any other car company that has done so much price changing.
Sure they drop the price at the end of the model year to clear out inventory, but they don't screw around with the price on new models. Often when a model is in demand they get OVER STICKER PRICE. They don't drop the price because there is so much demand. But Tesla did. It made no sense at all.

I won't pay for AP because there is no telling what the price will be next month.
They got me once when they dropped the price $2500 2 weeks after I got mine.
Now someone who buys today will pay the same price I did for a car configured the same except they get AP for free. But will Tesla give me AP for free since I already paid the extra $2500? ha

Great cars but an insane company.

I must say. I needed a laugh today.

Realignment to what?

What was out of alignment?

Price Paid, and whether they had free supercharging or not.

Group A - Early Model 3P owners with Free Supercharging
Group B - Slightly later Model 3P owners without free supercharging
Group C - Later Model3P owners (after the price drop) without free supercharging who paid $5K less.

With the refund/trade check it allowed everyone to have the same price/features if they opted for it.

Personally I would have preferred a simple refund check to make group A superior to all other groups. :)