Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Owners with No AP - Thoughts/Plans/Speculation on What Happens Next

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I should have clarified the point that it was a giving up free supercharging for the life of the ownership of that specific vehicle.

But, the new buyers didn't have that either. That's why Elon made people give up the free supercharging to get the $5K.

Personally I thought the whole thing was ridiculous. I liked the psychological aspects of free charging despite the monetary value being so low.".

I agree about the psychological aspects of free charging, which is why I was comparing a CPO 2016 MS until this week. Now at $31K the monetary value wins :)

Price Paid, and whether they had free supercharging or not.

Group A - Early Model 3P owners with Free Supercharging
Group B - Slightly later Model 3P owners without free supercharging
Group C - Later Model3P owners (after the price drop) without free supercharging who paid $5K less.

With the refund/trade check it allowed everyone to have the same price/features if they opted for it.

Personally I would have preferred a simple refund check to make group A superior to all other groups. :)

This keeps getting better and better..

I won't pay for AP because there is no telling what the price will be next month.
They got me once when they dropped the price $2500 2 weeks after I got mine.
Now someone who buys today will pay the same price I did for a car configured the same except they get AP for free. But will Tesla give me AP for free since I already paid the extra $2500? ha

Great cars but an insane company.

AP is free right now..... ( for current buyers).

You cant get much cheaper than that.

All you have to do is buy another car.

Here's another way of looking at your situation. The one thing money cannot buy is time. Yes, you paid more and went through the whole preordering ordeal, but in return, you got more time with your spectacular car than most of us. At the end of the day, all we really want is more time with the people we love, doing the things we love doing. As a gearhead, driving awesome cars is one of those things in my book.

I love this. Thank you for sharing. I’m all for saving a little money, but at the end of the day you can’t take it with you.

I can confirm that AP was free for me today when i picked my car up. Saw the thread showing that AP was free for cars bought in 2019 and I asked my salesperson about it and he called the delivery center as my pick up was fo today.

When i got there my paperwork already showed that I was not charged for the AP that was installed!

Now I just have to make sure I actually have AP but couldn't do it on way home as he said it makes like 20 miles for the cameras to adjust and for AP to be functional.

I can confirm that AP was free for me today when i picked my car up. Saw the thread showing that AP was free for cars bought in 2019 and I asked my salesperson about it and he called the delivery center as my pick up was fo today.

When i got there my paperwork already showed that I was not charged for the AP that was installed!

Now I just have to make sure I actually have AP but couldn't do it on way home as he said it makes like 20 miles for the cameras to adjust and for AP to be functional.

Wait Wait Wait --- where did you see that AP was free for cars bought in 2019?
Is that verified?

If it were free, why was the order page still asking for $3k until a day ago and why did they take the $3k when I bought the car?

FYI I ordered on 3/4 during the price reduction and took a 2019 inventory MSM for $670 discount. After the recent price increase but AP decrease, I paid $330 more than ordering today. It would have cost me another $700 in car rental till now, never mind when I then received it, so I'm still ahead :) $3k refund for AP would be very tasy gravy though!

I dont want to repeat myself so please read carefully...for people ordering AP right now today you are paying 2K more for the car for a 3K option(AP) last week so your netting 1K for AP.

I am not in this category.

I bought my car last week with deposit and agreed upon price. I had them add AP for additional 3K last week as the car didnt have AP.. But when I found out(yesterday) that AP was free for anyone buying in 2019 I told them to adjust my price by 3K otherwise I am removing the AP option for 3K and then getting it for free later.

They adjusted my price today by 3K and I have AP. That is what I am saying. People ordering online today is getting a 1K break, people that took delivery in 2019 without AP is supposed to get to for free is my understanding. Now the people who seem to be getting screwed are the 2019 buyers who paid for AP already, now these people I doubt Tesla will give them a refund for what they paid for AP but I dont really know for sure. If I am in this group Id be pretty mad.

I am in a special situation cause I ordered, put down deposit and locked my price exactly 1 week ago before these price changes were announced a few days ago.

Hope this makes sense.

But when I found out(yesterday) that AP was free for anyone buying in 2019 I told them to adjust my price by 3K otherwise I am removing the AP option for 3K and then getting it for free later.
It makes perfect sense that you’d argue this given you ordered a week ago and hadn’t even picked up the car yet when prices changed.

People that took delivery in 2019 without AP is supposed to get to for free is my understanding.
It seems like you are taking your individual case and jumping to a very different conclusion. I doubt there is any such policy for 2019 buyers and simply a YMMV for those that haven’t taken delivery.

Reactions: moonchic73
Billed by whom? Because Tesla is pretty clear in all their documentation that it's not FSD in any way.
I can't remember exactly but things like Summon, auto steering and parking were included in the Advanced Autopilot package before they moved out to be FSD only.
People keep claiming that- then when you ask for examples they can mostly just cite cars where it's a paid option.
(and FWIW Teslas version works a ton better than those I've personally tried on Infiniti, Toyota, Lexus, and other brands)
My wife's 2014 Acura MDX came with TACC, blind spot warning and lane detection standard. It works very well but is a little aggressive on the braking for my taste.

I dont want to repeat myself so please read carefully...for people ordering AP right now today you are paying 2K more for the car for a 3K option(AP) last week so your netting 1K for AP.

I am not in this category.

I bought my car last week with deposit and agreed upon price. I had them add AP for additional 3K last week as the car didnt have AP.. But when I found out(yesterday) that AP was free for anyone buying in 2019 I told them to adjust my price by 3K otherwise I am removing the AP option for 3K and then getting it for free later.

They adjusted my price today by 3K and I have AP. That is what I am saying. People ordering online today is getting a 1K break, people that took delivery in 2019 without AP is supposed to get to for free is my understanding. Now the people who seem to be getting screwed are the 2019 buyers who paid for AP already, now these people I doubt Tesla will give them a refund for what they paid for AP but I dont really know for sure. If I am in this group Id be pretty mad.

I am in a special situation cause I ordered, put down deposit and locked my price exactly 1 week ago before these price changes were announced a few days ago.

Hope this makes sense.

Wait a second. I took delivery 2 weeks ago. I have an autopilot trial. It tells me that it is $3000 to purchase AP (today, two days ago it said $2500 for a day), and $5500 to purchase FSD. Are you saying I will have AP when the trial ends without purchasing anything?

Because I have been shuffled around through dealing with different people over and over again over the past three days and am pretty tired of it at this point.

Wait a second. I took delivery 2 weeks ago. I have an autopilot trial. It tells me that it is $3000 to purchase AP (today, two days ago it said $2500 for a day), and $5500 to purchase FSD. Are you saying I will have AP when the trial ends without purchasing anything?

I haven't tried it myself, but some people on the trial are reporting that they are not allowed to complete the checkout when they try and order it. They get an error page instead. That being said, if you do not want to purchase the software, I would not test this theory, because you may end up accidentally purchasing it.

I haven't tried it myself, but some people on the trial are reporting that they are not allowed to complete the checkout when they try and order it. They get an error page instead. That being said, if you do not want to purchase the software, I would not test this theory, because you may end up accidentally purchasing it.

I would have been willing to pay $2000 for AP if offered the opportunity. But I must admit, this whole thing is just bizarre. Why not just take down the AP purchase option entirely instead of playing pricing games in the software for people in the trial period?

I said in another thread that the whole situation with AP over the last few days left me with a bad taste in my mouth about the company. It’s a great car and a great product, but I’m left feeling like there’s no real plan, just the plan of today’s whim.

Because I have been shuffled around through dealing with different people over and over again over the past three days and am pretty tired of it at this point.

If I were you I would not pay for AP(3000) when trial is over until there is clarity on this issue. I would talk/work with your salesperson and get clarity . Thats what I did and I indeed for AP for free this weekend and no they did not raise my base price by 2000.00!

Now after some vetting this free AP for 2019 buyers turns out to be BS, you can always buy the AP later. If this is the case, then I will consider myself to be one lucky SOB.

In my mind though, this good deal I got will just offset the abuse I will get since I have a fully loaded model Y deposit in and will be paying full retail on that car, which is prob a dumb financial move.

If I were you I would not pay for AP(3000) when trial is over until there is clarity on this issue. I would talk/work with your salesperson and get clarity . Thats what I did and I indeed for AP for free this weekend and no they did not raise my base price by 2000.00!

Now after some vetting this free AP for 2019 buyers turns out to be BS, you can always buy the AP later. If this is the case, then I will consider myself to be one lucky SOB.

In my mind though, this good deal I got will just offset the abuse I will get since I have a fully loaded model Y deposit in and will be paying full retail on that car, which is prob a dumb financial move.

That’s the mess here. The salespeople won’t talk to me after delivery. They shuffle me to the service people.

Corporate shuffles me to sales. Sales shuffles me to service. I wait for return calls that never happen. In the meantime, I can’t get a clear answer much less someone willing to make it right. It is frustrating to say the least.