TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Owners with Premium Lighting

Discussion in 'Model S: Interior & Exterior' started by wamochi, Apr 29, 2014.

1. wamochi

wamochi Member

hello, we just ordered/confirmed last week and have included the premium lighting. just a quick question to the owners out there that have this feature - do the interior lights work in combination with the headlights, or are they on all the time? also, i hear people complaining about lack of lighting in the trunk - does premium lighting add any more light to that area (it does not say so on Tesla's description, but thought i'd ask).

2. pgiralt

pgiralt Active Member

The interior lights are tied to the headlights or when the other interior lights are on like when a door is open. The brightness of the door lights is synced with the touchscreen brightness, so if you have your touchscreen brighter, it will make the other lights brighter as well. My car has premium lighting (before it was called that and included with the tech package) and has two small lights in the trunk area that are not there on a friend of mine's car that does not have the premium lighting. They are not very bright but at least they provide a place to tap in to run some LED strips to make the trunk lighting brighter.

3. Ugliest1

Ugliest1 S85: "Sparky"

The interior lights go out just like in a boring car, staying on for maybe 10 seconds (?? don't quote me) then dimming/fading gradually over a few seconds. I actually haven't really noticed how they exactly behave because it's, well, exactly how I like it. The premium accents are really nice, they look great.

I haven't had the need to rummage around in the trunk or frunk in the dark yet, so I don't know whether the light is adequate. I suspect, sort of not. But I have an iPhone light.

4. lloyds

lloyds Member

I added LED lights to the trunk. Was done by my local audio shop and works like a charm. Don't remember what it costed me, but I think it took them about 1-2 hours to put them in.

5. wamochi

wamochi Member

nice, thanks for the replies!

lloyds - so your installer added the LEDs to the existing wiring that came w the premium lighting? or something else?

6. PaulusdB

PaulusdB Mayor Gnomus Vintage Limb

on a different note. The wiring for trunk lights is there, wether you ordered Premium Lighting or not.

7. tliving

tliving Member

Interior lighting adds:
    Light bars in all 4 doors
    Puddle lights on rear door handles (front always has that)
    Light under drivers and passenger seats for rear seat occupants.

The touch is really nice and i've had people comment on it. Its not worth $1K though.

Hard to take good pictures of it, but a few below.

IMG_2522.jpg IMG_2521.jpg IMG_2524.jpg IMG_2525.jpg

- - - Updated - - -

Also the trunk and frunk have lights whether or not you get premium lighting. People are just complaining they're not very bright which is true but so far (1 week!) it hasn't been an issue for me.

8. wamochi

wamochi Member

thanks, tliving, for the great post and pics. very helpful! i didn't know the lights came out from the handles - that will look amazing at night!

i think it'll look great. we have the ambient lighting on our GL550 and the kids really like it at night when the cabin would otherwise be pitch black in the rear. in the GL the lights can be changed between blue, orange and white. even our Lexus hybrid has footwell lights which i think are really soothing and can be helpful if you drop something in the car at night.

9. Username

Username Member

Its too bad the door is black on all the cars where the lights shine down to.
    Perhaps a light colour door insert would help illuminate the interior. Why so much black Tesla?

10. Pate

Pate Member

LOL! :)

11. mknox

mknox Well-Known Member

My premium lighting came at the time with the Tech Package, I think. It has lighting on all 4 door handles, puddle lights on the bottom of all 4 doors, front and rear footwell lighting and the door panel lights. I wish the footwell lighting stayed on all the time like the door panel lights do. There not very bright, but would add to the "ambience" in my opinion. My last car had dim footwell lighting on all the time at night and it would brighten up when a door was opened.

12. wamochi

wamochi Member

oh that's a shame - so the footwell lights don't stay on all the time at night. what about the door panel ambient lighting? it seems like if you pay $1000, the "premium lighting" should stay on at night inside the cabin!

13. PaulusdB

PaulusdB Mayor Gnomus Vintage Limb

Rest assured. They do.

14. mknox

mknox Well-Known Member

Yes, the door panel ambients stay on but the footwell lamps time out.

15. tliving

tliving Member

I agree it would be nice to control this but it is a nice touch anyway. The door ones are the most commented on.

16. MiddKid

MiddKid Member

I added the lights at the last minute. Virtually all my night test riders have commented on them. They are a nice accent. I have three kids...they like the extra lighting in the back seat too.

17. nirvanaman

nirvanaman Member

Can't say anyone has ever commented on mine, but I personally enjoy them. Enjoy them even more now knowing they are charging an obscene $1000 for them.

18. islandbayy

islandbayy Active Member

I think I am slightly confused. I have been trying to figure out exactly what the premium lighting is, as I did not order tech package, and their was no "premium lighting" package when I ordered my 60. I have VIN 9846. I have the door handle lights, Frunk & Trunk lights, the inside light strips and floor well lights, as well as the ones that shine on the ground. Was this standard back on the earlier cars regardless? Or was mine installed by accident?

19. Tacket

Tacket Member

Same thing for me -- 60, non tech, no premium lights as an option back then, but I got 'em. VIN 13xxx

20. islandbayy

islandbayy Active Member

The plot thickens :) and the value of my car just went up. If I were to get in a accident, insurance would need to reimburse me based on current replacement cost of vehicle with similar options minus depreciated value :) nice!