Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Ownership confirms work on retrofit: parking sensors, folding mirrors & performance

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The news here is not so much working on parking sensors but rather the folding mirrors and upgrade to P85 from 85 as a retrofit.

"Thanks for contacting us with your questions about the retrofit options for Model S. We are working on the retrofit process for the three options that you’ve mentioned, Parking Sensors, Power Folding Mirrors, and the Performance Options. As we have not made any official announcements regarding pricing or availability, I do not have any information there about.

I will forward your feedback over to our manufacturing and service teams, and hopefully we’ll have more information over the upcoming weeks on pricing and availability to provide to you.

If you have any additional questions or concerns, contact us at[email protected] or email me directly."

Is that referring to a Performance update (85 to P85) or a Performance Plus update (P85 to P85+)?

When mine was in for a drive unit replacement, I toyed with the idea of asking if a P unit could be a drop-in replacement and what the incremental cost might be. It was repaired before I had the chance to ask. Probably for the best as I got to keep my money in the bank :wink:

I think since we already heard about the P to P+ retrofit, if not the price, then the logical step would be to entice owners to get the P first... I think it is all an evil plan by @TexEx91...:tongue:

When mine was in for a drive unit replacement, I toyed with the idea of asking if a P unit could be a drop-in replacement and what the incremental cost might be. It was repaired before I had the chance to ask. Probably for the best as I got to keep my money in the bank :wink:

I'm looking into adding a few of the P85+ parts to my car, sway bars, bushings, etc. As much as possible without having to go to the 21's.
lolachampcar seems to think the main benefit is in the rear bushings, which unfortunately can't be purchased separately. Still, I'm interested in installing the control arm assemblies (which include the bushings). Let us know if you go through with it.

I'm looking into adding a few of the P85+ parts to my car, sway bars, bushings, etc. As much as possible without having to go to the 21's.

AFAIK Tesla will not sell you a subset of the parts that will comprise the P85+ retrofit kit. The reason for this is that you could end up with a car that had "dangerous" handling characteristics. As an example, the wider rear tires and more grip from the Michelin PS2's are there in part to offset the reduced rear end grip from the stiffer bushings.

Last edited:
I had a back and worth with ownership the past couple days about the power folding mirror retrofit, and the associate I spoke to made it very clear that *if* there is to be a retrofit, it will be expensive. They still haven't decided to do one for sure. He said the same thing about the parking sensors.

( Free: )
Floor mats.
Footwell cover.
J1772 adapter.

I asked for and received the new floor mats. I understand that early J1772 adapters had some issues. Mine is fine so I didn't ask. But what is this footwell cover of which you speak?

- - - Updated - - -

On a related note, I was told I was going to get a 6-50 when I bought the HPWC. I did not. Did everyone else?

Why would you need a 6-50 with a HPWC??? The UMC comes with a 14-50 and 5-15, but that's all. Any other adapters have to be purchased.