TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Ownership confirms work on retrofit: parking sensors, folding mirrors & performance

Discussion in 'Model S: User Interface' started by highedu, Oct 22, 2013.

1. highedu

highedu Member

The news here is not so much working on parking sensors but rather the folding mirrors and upgrade to P85 from 85 as a retrofit.

"Thanks for contacting us with your questions about the retrofit options for Model S. We are working on the retrofit process for the three options that you’ve mentioned, Parking Sensors, Power Folding Mirrors, and the Performance Options. As we have not made any official announcements regarding pricing or availability, I do not have any information there about.

I will forward your feedback over to our manufacturing and service teams, and hopefully we’ll have more information over the upcoming weeks on pricing and availability to provide to you.

If you have any additional questions or concerns, contact us at[email protected] or email me directly."

2. MikeC

MikeC Active Member

Is that referring to a Performance update (85 to P85) or a Performance Plus update (P85 to P85+)?

3. mknox

mknox Well-Known Member

When mine was in for a drive unit replacement, I toyed with the idea of asking if a P unit could be a drop-in replacement and what the incremental cost might be. It was repaired before I had the chance to ask. Probably for the best as I got to keep my money in the bank :wink:

4. SamGarber

SamGarber S85 "Whale Shark"

I think since we already heard about the P to P+ retrofit, if not the price, then the logical step would be to entice owners to get the P first... I think it is all an evil plan by @TexEx91...:tongue:

5. highedu

highedu Member

85 to P85

6. rdrcrmatt

rdrcrmatt Member

I'm looking into adding a few of the P85+ parts to my car, sway bars, bushings, etc. As much as possible without having to go to the 21's.

7. Gizmotoy

Gizmotoy Active Member

lolachampcar seems to think the main benefit is in the rear bushings, which unfortunately can't be purchased separately. Still, I'm interested in installing the control arm assemblies (which include the bushings). Let us know if you go through with it.

8. hans

hans P631

So *if* a S60 can battery swap up to an S85, then we will also have all the steps to get from S60->S85->P85->P85+

It will cost a fortune but it will be possible

9. gg_got_a_tesla

gg_got_a_tesla Model S: VIN P65513, Model 3 Res Holder

I'm waiting for the day when this will be possible:

S60->P120+

In 4 years, maybe...

10. brianman

brianman Burrito Founder

"Just overclock it" ;)

11. dirkhh

dirkhh Middle-aged Member

But will it be cheaper than just buying a new P120+ ?

12. Eggplant

Eggplant Member

I suspect it will not.

13. gg_got_a_tesla

gg_got_a_tesla Model S: VIN P65513, Model 3 Res Holder

Not so sure. With some sort of a trade-in value for a 5-year-old 60 kWh pack, I'd think $40-50k for the upgrade vs $120k for a new car?!

14. Eggplant

Eggplant Member

I think you could probably start at 40-50k for the 120kW pack alone. A user in the battery degradation thread was quoted 45k for an 85kW replacement pack.

15. dennis

dennis P85D

#15 dennis, Oct 28, 2013
    Last edited: Oct 28, 2013
    AFAIK Tesla will not sell you a subset of the parts that will comprise the P85+ retrofit kit. The reason for this is that you could end up with a car that had "dangerous" handling characteristics. As an example, the wider rear tires and more grip from the Michelin PS2's are there in part to offset the reduced rear end grip from the stiffer bushings.

16. zax123

zax123 CDN Model S P308

I had a back and worth with ownership the past couple days about the power folding mirror retrofit, and the associate I spoke to made it very clear that *if* there is to be a retrofit, it will be expensive. They still haven't decided to do one for sure. He said the same thing about the parking sensors.

17. yobigd20

yobigd20 Well-Known Member

Is there a retrofit that is not expensive? :(

18. brianman

brianman Burrito Founder

( Free: )
    Floor mats.
    Footwell cover.
    J1772 adapter.

19. yobigd20

yobigd20 Well-Known Member

I stand corrected.

?? how is that a retrofit? didn't we all get this adapter?

??? in the trunk? What was retrofitted about it?

On a related note, I was told I was going to get a 6-50 when I bought the HPWC. I did not. Did everyone else?

20. mknox

mknox Well-Known Member

I asked for and received the new floor mats. I understand that early J1772 adapters had some issues. Mine is fine so I didn't ask. But what is this footwell cover of which you speak?

- - - Updated - - -

Why would you need a 6-50 with a HPWC??? The UMC comes with a 14-50 and 5-15, but that's all. Any other adapters have to be purchased.