Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Ownership confirms work on retrofit: parking sensors, folding mirrors & performance

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
On a related note, I was told I was going to get a 6-50 when I bought the HPWC. I did not. Did everyone else?

I got a free 6-50 adapter when I got the car since I had bought the HPWC. The HPWC was delivered a month or so later. I actually use the 6-50 adapter here and there -- welding stations.

- - - Updated - - -

Why would you need a 6-50 with a HPWC??? The UMC comes with a 14-50 and 5-15, but that's all. Any other adapters have to be purchased.

The reason they gave 6-50s is that the wiring for a 6-50 only needs three wires (same as the HPWC). So no need to run white/black/red/ground to a 14-50 temporarily.

I wired up a 6-50 and the HPWC and left them both functional. :p

About the footwell cover... At first I was confused too. But then I remembered that I had unintentionally shown the "new" version in my rear-facing seats video...

http://www.teslamotorsclub.com/show...-and-Unfolding-of-the-Rear-Facing-Child-Seats

There's a link to some photos on the second page.

The original footwell cover felt like nothing more than a piece of cardboard wrapped in trunk carpet... the new one is solid. If yours is flimsy and doesn't look like this one, then it's the original, which was included with cars sometime between January and April. The new ones were introduced around April. Before January, many cars didn't even have covers.

(1) [J1772 adapter] ?? how is that a retrofit? didn't we all get this adapter?
(2) ??? in the trunk? What was retrofitted about it?
(1) They have a "v2" of the J1772 adapter. Something about the initial ones "not fitting well" with some stations (not a melting thing). Replacement/retrofit was free.
(2) The original footwell cover (basically carpet with some rubber padding) was replaced with something more sturdy that has a plastic feel to it. Also free replacement/retrofit.

- - - Updated - - -

Before January, many cars didn't even have covers.
Be careful of the word "many". I don't any stats on it, but I do hang it with a few Signature owners and we all got the v1 cover. I haven't met anyone in person that received no footwell cover on delivery.

A lot of folks didn't receive the "parcel shelf" at delivery for U.S. Sigs, but that's a different item. It also had a retrofit (something with the magnets or whatever) but I don't know if replacement of that is free or not. I haven't asked.

About the footwell cover... At first I was confused too. But then I remembered that I had unintentionally shown the "new" version in my rear-facing seats video...

http://www.teslamotorsclub.com/show...-and-Unfolding-of-the-Rear-Facing-Child-Seats

There's a link to some photos on the second page.

The original footwell cover felt like nothing more than a piece of cardboard wrapped in trunk carpet... the new one is solid. If yours is flimsy and doesn't look like this one, then it's the original, which was included with cars sometime between January and April. The new ones were introduced around April. Before January, many cars didn't even have covers.

Ah ha. Now that you mention this I recall saying to myself "oh they just have a special version for those equipped with rear facing child seats." Mine is flimsy and it feels like its partial board that is going to snap in half. The version that was in my loaner vehicle was much sturdier with molded plastic or something. I don't have the child seats but the loaner did and I assumed that was the difference. But if that is meant for all it would certainly be useful for me. I transport my dogs every now and then and they have fallen into the footwell because the old style is not very sturdy.

Ah ha. Now that you mention this I recall saying to myself "oh they just have a special version for those equipped with rear facing child seats." Mine is flimsy and it feels like its partial board that is going to snap in half. The version that was in my loaner vehicle was much sturdier with molded plastic or something. I don't have the child seats but the loaner did and I assumed that was the difference. But if that is meant for all it would certainly be useful for me. I transport my dogs every now and then and they have fallen into the footwell because the old style is not very sturdy.

Agreed. I thought it was only for rear seat-equipped vehicles as well.

Before January, many cars didn't even have covers.

Be careful of the word "many". I don't any stats on it, but I do hang it with a few Signature owners and we all got the v1 cover. I haven't met anyone in person that received no footwell cover on delivery.

A lot of folks didn't receive the "parcel shelf" at delivery for U.S. Sigs, but that's a different item. It also had a retrofit (something with the magnets or whatever) but I don't know if replacement of that is free or not. I haven't asked.

"Many" is not the same as "most," if that's what you thought I meant. And I feel Sig cars are in a slightly different category. I personally know two cars delivered in December, and both didn't have the footwell cover. That's what I based my statement on. And the Parcel Shelf wasn't delivered with cars at least through the end of February and maybe March, but they did show up in cars delivered by the end of April.

Yeah... You should definitely ask. If anything, the cars without the seats need the sturdier cover.

i talked to the guys at the service center about this - it's not related to the child seats, but they aren't just updating them unless you've got a problem or broke your old flimsy one :) I didn't complain enough so i didn't get mine updated.

Correct. The footwell cover is not related to child seats. I had the original in my car but it was falling apart. The particle board was seperating from the carpet and you could see the dried glue that wasn't sticky anymore. I asked for them to fix it up and they just gave me the latest sturdier version. Sooooo much better. No charge

I've had the footwell cover since day 1. I took my car to service recently and got a loaner with rear child seats (P15xxx). The footwell cover did not have the leather/plastic handle at the top like mine. It's just a cover, so I had to squeeze my fingers under the cover to open it.

(2) The original footwell cover (basically carpet with some rubber padding) was replaced with something more sturdy that has a plastic feel to it. Also free replacement/retrofit.
Confirmation that this is a free retrofit? I am kind of expecting my footwell cover to break sooner or later. It's the cardboard one. I'm fine with it until it breaks, but when it breaks this means it'll be a replacement under warranty, right?

Confirmation that this is a free retrofit? I am kind of expecting my footwell cover to break sooner or later. It's the cardboard one. I'm fine with it until it breaks, but when it breaks this means it'll be a replacement under warranty, right?
It was free replacement when I asked. I changed my mind at the last minute though (I'm weird about original equipment at times).